Why do people claim Atheists are attacking them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2014, 09:20 AM
RE: Why do people claim Atheists are attacking them?
As mentioned earlier, I think the idea that their beliefs are sacred and not to be questioned, has a lot to do with it.
How dare a non-believer question the authority of the bible, and their church.
After investing a lot of time (for many their whole lives) in these beliefs, I think it's become more or less a defense mechanism. Coming to terms with being so wrong in all they hold so dear is probably terrifying for some to admit.
Better to keep the beliefs and claim persecution.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2014, 09:28 AM
(19-12-2014 09:20 AM)pablo Wrote:  As mentioned earlier, I think the idea that their beliefs are sacred and not to be questioned, has a lot to do with it.
After investing a lot of time (for many their whole lives) in these beliefs, I think it's become more or less a defense mechanism. Coming to terms with being so wrong in all they hold so dear is probably terrifying for some to admit.

This makes too much sense, it can't be that. Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-12-2014, 10:33 AM
(19-12-2014 09:20 AM)pablo Wrote:  As mentioned earlier, I think the idea that their beliefs are sacred and not to be questioned, has a lot to do with it.

Kinda reminded me of what iv'e told some of them
I can relate, i believe in spirits but here is the thing just because i believe in spirits and i have had experiences and feelings or whatever it was that made me believe.
It don't mean i'm correct on what it is, or could be it don't mean i "Know" for sure anything. As it's not on fact and that is needed.
19-12-2014, 10:35 AM
(19-12-2014 10:33 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  

Kinda reminded me of what iv'e told some of them
I can relate, i believe in spirits but here is the thing just because i believe in spirits and i have had experiences and feelings or whatever it was that made me believe.
It don't mean i'm correct on what it is, or could be it don't mean i "Know" for sure anything. As it's not on fact and that is needed.

Sometimes it's fun saying hey i relate and here is why
and after getting a response of but how is that POSSIBLE Drinking Beverage
Why would you say that?
Well because it's true.
Big Grin
19-12-2014, 11:31 PM
We sometimes give contrary signals 1) we simply don't believe - which seems like a neutral stance but then 2) We are actively promoting and forming groups etc to promote free thought, anti-religious doctrines - which is not neutral but confrontational.
20-12-2014, 01:35 AM
Well, is removing undeserved privilege an attack?

Because whenever you try to level the playing field to make it equal for everyone, those who had it better than everyone else often see it as an 'attack' instead of removing undeserved privileges and advantages. That they cannot or refuse to widen their perspective enough to appreciate this is nobody's problem but their own.

So no, removing the nativity scene from the local public park is not an attack, it's a restoration of equality.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-12-2014, 01:17 AM
1. Bible tells them the more they are persecuted, the more blessed they will be.

2. An increase in persecution is a sign that the end is near when all the evil unbelievers get what's coming to them.

3. Fox News and Christian media, seriously, you know they are immersed in it daily. Quite simply, they are being mind fucked daily by money grubbing shysters.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
25-12-2014, 12:27 PM
(20-12-2014 01:35 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well, is removing undeserved privilege an attack?

Because whenever you try to level the playing field to make it equal for everyone, those who had it better than everyone else often see it as an 'attack' instead of removing undeserved privileges and advantages. That they cannot or refuse to widen their perspective enough to appreciate this is nobody's problem but their own.

So no, removing the nativity scene from the local public park is not an attack, it's a restoration of equality.

yea i didn't know that they where even trying to make it equal i didn't even have a clue whom was doing what it's why i asked. Goodevil
25-12-2014, 01:53 PM
(21-12-2014 01:17 AM)freetoreason Wrote:  1. Bible tells them the more they are persecuted, the more blessed they will be.
They think that being persecuted is confirmation that their religion is Truth. It's a matter of confirmation bias plus clutching at meager straws.

They don't have real evidence so this is what they resort to.
It's sad and pathetic.
07-01-2015, 02:24 PM
(18-12-2014 04:57 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Why do you think people claim that Atheists are attacking them?
I'm on another website at the moment that isn't based of religion or non religion however there is a religious section.

Iv'e seen two posts 1 saying: Why are atheists always attacking Christians as if we are some evil beings. Evil_monster
And another talking about how they are horrible because they are taking down all the Christians Christmas singes and items from the streets or whatever.

I honestly want you guys opinion iv'e never gotten into this debate or argument
as i find it wrong to just rip away parts of their beliefs, but at the same time i don't find it wrong to put ours up either. What's is really going on?

My honest response is that people believe atheists are attacking them when they are really just attacking some aspects of the culture. It seems to be atheists who prompt themselves or the ACLU to attack the ten commandments on display in public places and so on.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user