Why do people claim Atheists are attacking them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2015, 05:42 PM
RE: Why do people claim Atheists are attacking them?
(07-01-2015 02:24 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 04:57 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Why do you think people claim that Atheists are attacking them?
I'm on another website at the moment that isn't based of religion or non religion however there is a religious section.

Iv'e seen two posts 1 saying: Why are atheists always attacking Christians as if we are some evil beings. Evil_monster
And another talking about how they are horrible because they are taking down all the Christians Christmas singes and items from the streets or whatever.

I honestly want you guys opinion iv'e never gotten into this debate or argument
as i find it wrong to just rip away parts of their beliefs, but at the same time i don't find it wrong to put ours up either. What's is really going on?

My honest response is that people believe atheists are attacking them when they are really just attacking some aspects of the culture. It seems to be atheists who prompt themselves or the ACLU to attack the ten commandments on display in public places and so on.

Not in public places - on public property. The distinction is key.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-01-2015, 07:41 PM
(18-12-2014 04:57 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Why do you think people claim that Atheists are attacking them?
I'm on another website at the moment that isn't based of religion or non religion however there is a religious section.

Iv'e seen two posts 1 saying: Why are atheists always attacking Christians as if we are some evil beings. Evil_monster
And another talking about how they are horrible because they are taking down all the Christians Christmas singes and items from the streets or whatever.

I honestly want you guys opinion iv'e never gotten into this debate or argument
as i find it wrong to just rip away parts of their beliefs, but at the same time i don't find it wrong to put ours up either. What's is really going on?

That's the Christian persecution complex at work. Whenever atheists defend themselves against religious people, or fight against religious agendas being pushed on them, or against religious monuments being put up on public property, then the Christians cry foul and scream about how they are being persecuted by those evil, hateful atheists.

For the longest time, religion has gotten a free pass from criticism and has been given a huge amount of special treatment in general. They want to go back to the "good 'ol days" when they got to go around shoving their religious crap down everybody's throats all they wanted, and if a person didn't like it, then that person just had to shut up and take it.

Take all the Christian whiners complaining about religious monuments being removed from government property, and do this little experiment: See what happens when, instead of removing a monument of the Ten Commandments from a courthouse, you go and put a monument with passages from the Qur'an next to it. I guarantee you they'll all flip their shit when that happens, especially if you did it at some government building in the "Bible Belt" of the U.S.

The real Christian stance is "Preaching and putting religious things on government property is perfectly fine, so long as it's MY RELIGION, AND ONLY MY RELIGION that is being endorsed!"

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
07-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Re: Why do people claim Atheists are attacking them?
What Christians in the USA need to realize is that the lawsuits to keep religious relics (Commandments, crosses, etc.) off public property isn't specifically geared to them.

They'll complain about sharia law and various other religions' ways. Would they want the Islam laws in their courthouse? Code of Hammurabi? Satanic doctrines? Scientology rules?

They're not being persecuted. They are, however, pissed that they're quickly being pushed to the other side of the issues after a few centuries.

Edit: Sorry, WindyCityJazz; I typed that before reading yours.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
07-01-2015, 08:51 PM
(07-01-2015 02:24 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  [quote='Autumnflowers' pid='703046' dateline='1418943427']

My honest response is that people believe atheists are attacking them when they are really just attacking some aspects of the culture. It seems to be atheists who prompt themselves or the ACLU to attack the ten commandments on display in public places and so on.

Then keep your superstitions out of public places. I frankly don't care how you decorate your own home.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
07-01-2015, 09:37 PM
I honestly don't care either way. People are just going to do what they're going to do.

People think atheists are attacking them, because concern trolling. When you ask something objectively, it "comes across as harsh" or "from a place of deep pain." Sometimes there's a lot of anger from past religious experience that's actually there. I don't think of it as an attack.

I could never really see myself as a "militant atheist," personally. I just kind of want to figure-out what's going on, have my friends, get married, and live a full life.
[+] 2 users Like Waif's post
07-01-2015, 10:30 PM
(07-01-2015 08:36 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  What Christians in the USA need to realize is that the lawsuits to keep religious relics (Commandments, crosses, etc.) off public property isn't specifically geared to them.

They'll complain about sharia law and various other religions' ways. Would they want the Islam laws in their courthouse? Code of Hammurabi? Satanic doctrines? Scientology rules?

They're not being persecuted. They are, however, pissed that they're quickly being pushed to the other side of the issues after a few centuries.

Edit: Sorry, WindyCityJazz; I typed that before reading yours.

No problem. Great minds think alike! Thumbsup

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
08-01-2015, 06:09 AM
Because we are?

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Much of it comes from observation.

My paternal grandmother, an educated writer, was an atheist (hostile skeptic, my definition), who made everyone connected to Christianity miserable. She saved her most hostile thoughts for Catholics, even for her Catholic convert sister-in-law (who at ~94 years old, came to our wedding).

My maternal grandfather, an educated geologist, was a skeptic (“we die in the fields with the other animals” was all he said when asked why he was not a Christian) who took Grandma to church for 65 years. After Grandpa died, I took over until she could no longer attend due to ill health.

I have some views about religion, but have never felt a need to attack my wife, the Roman Catholic. She simply accepts my skepticism as I accept her faith and traditions.

And she would be more than happy to see me testify in court against Christian fundamentalists using school boards to slip the Book of Genesis into science courses in the same way that secular religions slip the fear of carbon dioxide and animal fat into those same courses.
08-01-2015, 08:34 AM
(08-01-2015 08:25 AM)Walter Wrote:  in the same way that secular religions slip the fear of carbon dioxide and animal fat into those same courses.

Um... sorry could you run that past me again?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
08-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Sorry guys this is my fault. For the past two years I've been traveling America violently attacking Christians while screaming, "It's because I'm an atheist!"
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post