Why do people claim Atheists are attacking them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2015, 09:03 AM
RE: Why do people claim Atheists are attacking them?
(08-01-2015 08:25 AM)Walter Wrote:  Much of it comes from observation.

My paternal grandmother, an educated writer, was an atheist (hostile skeptic, my definition), who made everyone connected to Christianity miserable. She saved her most hostile thoughts for Catholics, even for her Catholic convert sister-in-law (who at ~94 years old, came to our wedding).

My maternal grandfather, an educated geologist, was a skeptic (“we die in the fields with the other animals” was all he said when asked why he was not a Christian) who took Grandma to church for 65 years. After Grandpa died, I took over until she could no longer attend due to ill health.

I have some views about religion, but have never felt a need to attack my wife, the Roman Catholic. She simply accepts my skepticism as I accept her faith and traditions.

And she would be more than happy to see me testify in court against Christian fundamentalists using school boards to slip the Book of Genesis into science courses in the same way that secular religions slip the fear of carbon dioxide and animal fat into those same courses.

So you're argument is people don't like atheists therefore they are attacking Christians. Good to know. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2015, 09:24 AM
They've got a built-in reflex that tells them any kind of "persecution" makes them holier, or closer to their god. Since nobody's feeding them to the lions any more, they take the indignity of having to see "Happy Holidays" on network TV as persecution enough to make them feel good about themselves and stronger in their faith.
08-01-2015, 10:17 AM
(07-01-2015 05:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 02:24 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  My honest response is that people believe atheists are attacking them when they are really just attacking some aspects of the culture. It seems to be atheists who prompt themselves or the ACLU to attack the ten commandments on display in public places and so on.

Not in public places - on public property. The distinction is key.

Thank you for clarifying. I would interpret the Constitution and amendments to say it is fine to have religious items on public property. Also, I've noticed atheists leading charges to have religious displays, religious music, etc. removed from private property in public settings.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2015, 10:17 AM
(08-01-2015 09:24 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  They've got a built-in reflex that tells them any kind of "persecution" makes them holier, or closer to their god. Since nobody's feeding them to the lions any more, they take the indignity of having to see "Happy Holidays" on network TV as persecution enough to make them feel good about themselves and stronger in their faith.

Who are they? Only some religious texts tell their adherents that persecution leads to reward.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2015, 10:29 AM
(08-01-2015 10:17 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(08-01-2015 09:24 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  They've got a built-in reflex that tells them any kind of "persecution" makes them holier, or closer to their god. Since nobody's feeding them to the lions any more, they take the indignity of having to see "Happy Holidays" on network TV as persecution enough to make them feel good about themselves and stronger in their faith.

Who are they? Only some religious texts tell their adherents that persecution leads to reward.

And what does "religious texts" and what they say have anything to do with built-in reflexes that come from a psychological influence. It's more of a culturally social influence from the Juedo-Christian world.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-01-2015, 10:46 AM
(08-01-2015 10:17 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 05:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not in public places - on public property. The distinction is key.

Thank you for clarifying. I would interpret the Constitution and amendments to say it is fine to have religious items on public property. Also, I've noticed atheists leading charges to have religious displays, religious music, etc. removed from private property in public settings.

Nope; you are twisting what the movement is about. Government bodies host religious imagery on public property and that is a problem as it goes against the first amendment.
08-01-2015, 11:53 AM
(08-01-2015 10:17 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Also, I've noticed atheists leading charges to have religious displays, religious music, etc. removed from private property in public settings.

Yeah, that's something I can't agree with, although I'm not sure how often that actually happens. Legally, they can do it if they want. I do find it obnoxious to hear Christian music playing when I go to the supermarket, but I'm not going to tell them they can't play it. I find mushrooms on pizza obnoxious, but I'm not going to tell people they can't put them on their pizzas.
08-01-2015, 12:14 PM
(08-01-2015 10:46 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  
(08-01-2015 10:17 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Thank you for clarifying. I would interpret the Constitution and amendments to say it is fine to have religious items on public property. Also, I've noticed atheists leading charges to have religious displays, religious music, etc. removed from private property in public settings.

Nope; you are twisting what the movement is about. Government bodies host religious imagery on public property and that is a problem as it goes against the first amendment.
Not being from USA I couldn't give a toss about the ammendments.
The problem really is that tax payer's money is wasted on religious junk but not only that but specific religion e.g. Christianity. It gives a message to the public that non Christians aren't welcome or aren't valued. I'm sure the Christian folk could understand (re: the golden rule) how they would feel if their government spent money on and displayed Islamic symbols but didn't support Christian symbols.
08-01-2015, 12:23 PM
(08-01-2015 08:25 AM)Walter Wrote:  was an atheist (hostile skeptic, my definition)
Would be interesting to know what qualifies as a hostile skeptic by your definition.

Would also be interested to compare that to what qualifies as a hostile believer by your definition.

It seems some people consider a militant theist to be someone who shoots or blows people up where as a militant atheist is a person who openly states that they are atheist and openly states their case on why they don't believe.

(08-01-2015 08:25 AM)Walter Wrote:  And she would be more than happy to see me testify in court against Christian fundamentalists using school boards to slip the Book of Genesis into science courses
Of course, the Pope has told her that she is to accept Evolution.

(08-01-2015 08:25 AM)Walter Wrote:  in the same way that secular religions slip the fear of carbon dioxide and animal fat into those same courses.
Are you talking about Bhuddism? Do they have a fear of carbon dioxide and animal fat? That would be a problem because human animals have animal fat inside their bodies and we also rely upon combining Carbon with Oxygen to make our bodies work (hint: look up metabolism)
08-01-2015, 12:24 PM
(08-01-2015 12:14 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(08-01-2015 10:46 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  Nope; you are twisting what the movement is about. Government bodies host religious imagery on public property and that is a problem as it goes against the first amendment.
Not being from USA I couldn't give a toss about the ammendments.
The problem really is that tax payer's money is wasted on religious junk but not only that but specific religion e.g. Christianity. It gives a message to the public that non Christians aren't welcome or aren't valued. I'm sure the Christian folk could understand (re: the golden rule) how they would feel if their government spent money on and displayed Islamic symbols but didn't support Christian symbols.

That is what the amendment is about: government is preferring one religion over others.