Why do people in extreme poverty reproduce?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2011, 03:49 AM
Why do people in extreme poverty reproduce?
I'm not talking about say, a low income US citizen or something. I'm talking like those dying starving african people you see on TV (This isn't limited to african people, I'm talking just about extremely impoverished people in general). Why do they reproduce if they don't have any money at all to feed themselves, let alone the child they are about to have especially since so many of their kids die of starvation at such an early age?

I'm not trying to be mean at all, I'm just saying. Say you were barely getting by in life and always hungry, and you didn't really even have a sufficient amount of food for yourself. Would you have multiple children, knowing that you probably won't be able to feed/nurture them? I think its horrible what these people do.

And I am not saying its their fault they don't have enough food, I'm just saying, why bring a child into such a miserable existence?

I feel like if people who were extremely impoverished stopped having children, the world would be a much better place because then we wouldn't have nearly as many (if any at all) starving/dying children.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2011, 05:19 AM
RE: Why do people in extreme poverty reproduce?
Animal instincts? In 3rd world countries it should be understood that education is very rare. The less education we have to rely on the more we think like animals. That's just my two cents but we are all educated apes. Now take away our education...

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
29-09-2011, 05:22 AM

(29-09-2011 03:49 AM)JesusLovesYou69 Wrote:  I feel like if people who were extremely impoverished stopped having children, the world would be a much better place because then we wouldn't have nearly as many (if any at all) starving/dying children.

Here is your answer:

I feel like if people who were extremely rich stopped having children, the world would be a much better place because then we wouldn't have nearly as many (if any at all) starving/dying children.

Allow me to transport you, just for a minute, into the mindset of a person in extreme poverty, with the memories of his entire horrible life in your head and see how self-controlled you would be.

You are young, you love sex, you always dreamed about having children, but you can't afford to have any, but you can't afford contraceptives either, you can't afford the doctor, you were told by your church that contraception is a sin and if you do, you will burn in hell forever and they stopped teaching contraception in schools and the abortion clinic was burnt to the ground by righteous citizens inspired by the same church and you were dead drunk anyway on the cheapest booze you could find because that was the only way to numb your mind to the pain you felt, so you would not to kill yourself and your family and the only pleasure you could find in this entire world, for a few minutes, was making love to your wife....and then you started seeing some hope, because Obama was going to be elected and then you could afford to feed your children and when he did get elected, you celebrated with your wife and she got pregnant again, and then a year later when you realized you were wrong because Obama betrayed you, then you got drunk again and then you were going to have another baby.......

I think you get the picture.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Zatamon's post
29-09-2011, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2011 08:54 AM by Peterkin.)
Because the women can't get away. (or defend themselves)

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 4 users Like Peterkin's post
29-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Because they are human beings.......prone to the same way of living as us except they dont have much choice in how.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
29-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Because people don't suddenly stop having sex when they have no money it really is as simple as that.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
29-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Birth control of some kind has always been available to the upper classes; ladies who suffered a lapse in judgment have, for quite a long time, had the option of ... er ... corrective surgery, but they don't extend these privileges to the poor.
From Hagar on through slave girls and chambermaids, factory hands and cotton-pickers, those with the lowest standard of living are held to the highest standard of moral rectitude. Odd, no?

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
29-09-2011, 08:18 PM
People in poverty also possess genitals and use them.
As people old enough, and developed, they made it this far they may as well keep 'living', right?
It can be instinctive to have children, too. Ever since I can remember I have always wanted a child of my own to love.
29-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Lack of education regarding birth control or no access to devices or the religious indoctrination that contraception is a sin is probably the main reason.

Another reason is that, as in history right up to the late 19th century in Europe, disease and starvation meant that many of the children wouldn't live too long and so parents produced large numbers of offspring so that at least some would make it to adulthood.

Self-defeating much of the time, but probably made sense to them.

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
[+] 4 users Like Organon's post
29-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Poverty is subjective. Some people we would call especially poor might see things otherwise.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post