Why do people in extreme poverty reproduce?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2011, 09:16 PM
RE: Why do people in extreme poverty reproduce?
Well, people in third world countries tend to reproduce a lot for survival purposes. In these countries, agriculture is most likely their main source of income. Having children, lots of them, ensures that their children can help them in their farm work. In a sense, it's "free" labour. This is also fuelled with the hopes of one of their children saving them out of their poverty cycle by travelling abroad to get a decent job and probably a new life for their family.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like robotworld's post
12-10-2011, 04:21 PM
They need comfort of others even if it's sex. And plus no proper sex education or a supply with condoms

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
11-08-2013, 02:36 PM
How about we flip this question around so that we might examine it from a different perspective:

Why don't more people in the US and other "developed" countries, who waste huge amounts of resources in their day to day existence and thus create a greater burden upon the biosphere than 10 of the poor people you seem to be focused on, decide not to have ANY children?

A study a few years back by some people at Oregon State demonstrated that by having 2 kids, as an American you increase your carbon footprint by 40 times. Look it up.

Perhaps you think response is off topic, but the basic idea behind the behavior is the same. Neither the rich person in the US or anywhere else in the world, or the poor person living in a slum is thinking about what the implications of their sex lives have on the future of humanity. Rich people don't think because they're self interested and don't give a shit about anybody else and they fear death, and thus want something of themselves to "ive on", the poor think about things like having kids in order to provide a social safety net for themselves when the parents get old, they think about how they need the extra labor, and they they think some of the same things the rich people do. And everybody is born with the instinct to engage in sex. Of course, contraception should be available to everybody, and of course there's the old taboos about having sex in ways that don't result in pregnancy...but good luck to anybody who wants to change that particular set of mores.
[+] 1 user Likes Bignatz's post
12-08-2013, 07:55 AM
"I'm in my thirties, have a decent/great partner I could settle down with, and I really want to have children, but I can't because I'm in poverty."

Dodgy
12-08-2013, 07:24 PM
There are so many answers to this. Lack of education, lack of care being two. I truly think that people who are poor (in America/Canada) have lots of children so that they can make money for themselves by collecting money from the government. I would say in places like 3rd-world countries, people have no knowledge or ways to acquire a condom.
12-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Children can be used to hunt for food or work the land or they can be sold ... If they make it to a reasonable age they might take care of the parents... and in more civilized countries, yes, one can collect from the government for them.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-08-2013, 07:57 PM
It's actually economically useful to have children, kids in that situation aren't as expensive as kids in more developed countries, they don't go to school, they don't use much clothes, etc. As soon as children are able to hunt or work in a farm or something they're sent to work and provide for the rest of the family.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
12-08-2013, 07:59 PM
(12-08-2013 07:57 PM)nach_in Wrote:  It's actually economically useful to have children, kids in that situation aren't as expensive as kids in more developed countries, they don't go to school, they don't use much clothes, etc. As soon as children are able to hunt or work in a farm or something they're sent to work and provide for the rest of the family.

If they make it long enough without starving to death.... yes.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-08-2013, 08:20 PM
(12-08-2013 07:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 07:57 PM)nach_in Wrote:  It's actually economically useful to have children, kids in that situation aren't as expensive as kids in more developed countries, they don't go to school, they don't use much clothes, etc. As soon as children are able to hunt or work in a farm or something they're sent to work and provide for the rest of the family.

If they make it long enough without starving to death.... yes.

well, yes of course... No

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
21-08-2013, 08:24 AM
It could be that :

1) They don't have the sense not to reproduce.
2) The women are severely oppressed.
3) They want kids to care for them as they age.
4) Need a constant source of labor.
5) Infant mortality might be high.