Why do people insist on judging by appearance?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
25-12-2012, 07:08 PM
RE: Why do people insist on judging by appearance?
[Image: 712955d1337432645-i-hate-omega-part-two-necro.jpg]

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
26-12-2012, 12:18 PM
(09-07-2012 03:18 PM)StatiK Wrote:  I would actually argue that judging based on appearance is part of a human being's fight or flight instinct. It's hard wired into our DNA and has helped us to make it to the top of the food chain.

Let's take a pit bull for example. I believe that pit bulls are not naturally a mean breed of dog and that a lot of pit bulls are often owned by shitty owners who mistreat them. Does that mean that I'm going to walk up to a random stray pit bull on the street and pet it? Of course not, it may be one of the aggressive pit bulls that came from a shitty house hold. I'd be a lot more likely to pay attention to a stray if it were, say... a basset hound.

The same holds true for humans, people develop their frame of reference based on life experiences and it helps us to survive our day-to-day lives.
Pop culture forces people to be as such.

Not all species immediately detest something on first sight. If you put a new object in front of a dog or cat, it wouldn't immediately scorn it.
26-12-2012, 01:32 PM
(25-12-2012 06:56 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  It's human nature.

I judge underclass/nigger people.

We tend to get a weird vibe from certain persons, and this is how we are built lol....
By Jove, he had the decency to call them people! Is this terrible troll getting soft already?

[Image: giphy.gif]
26-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Judging from appearances is fine. As others have said; it's in our DNA to judge the nature or even the intentions of others by just looking at them.

The real issue comes when we make extreme judgments (level of intellect, malicious intent, etc.) and then stick to them - making decisions about that person based on them. In another thread, I made it known that I would be getting my lower lip pierced. Later, someone in the thread implied that if they were in the position to give me a job; they may have second thoughts - simply because I'd have two metal studs on my chin. The judgment that I would be unworthy of a given task due to a minor facet of my appearance is simply irrational.

So, making small judgments about an individual based on appearance is fine. It's what we do every day. But making vast (for lack of a better word) judgments based on looks alone is absurd.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
26-12-2012, 02:36 PM
(26-12-2012 02:21 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Judging from appearances is fine. As others have said; it's in our DNA to judge the nature or even the intentions of others by just looking at them.

The real issue comes when we make extreme judgments (level of intellect, malicious intent, etc.) and then stick to them - making decisions about that person based on them. In another thread, I made it known that I would be getting my lower lip pierced. Later, someone in the thread implied that if they were in the position to give me a job; they may have second thoughts - simply because I'd have two metal studs on my chin. The judgment that I would be unworthy of a given task due to a minor facet of my appearance is simply irrational.

So, making small judgments about an individual based on appearance is fine. It's what we do every day. But making vast (for lack of a better word) judgments based on looks alone is absurd.
I judge Missy by his appearance. I'm pretty sure I'd inwardly hate him and think he's a douche for being in such good shape. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-12-2012, 04:16 PM
(26-12-2012 02:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(26-12-2012 02:21 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Judging from appearances is fine. As others have said; it's in our DNA to judge the nature or even the intentions of others by just looking at them.

I judge Missy by his appearance. I'm pretty sure I'd inwardly hate him and think he's a douche for being in such good shape. Drinking Beverage
It works both ways, interestingly. When I look at other people, I can't help but love myself for not being them. Tongue

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
26-12-2012, 05:24 PM
[Image: scientist.jpg]

Rather than insist, which implies intention, I'd rather say it's a psychological phenomenon.

Where by personal experience, and mass media consumption help aid in associating certain styles and dress with different meanings.

Such as a lab coat with scientific accuracy, a police uniform with oppression, justice or authority.

I'd say it mostly happens on a subconscious level, and takes a consciences effort to actually over come. Consequently you can also use this visual reference for persuasive purposes. By adding pictures of people to your replies to add authority. (see what I did there?)

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/subl...appearance

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
27-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Cunt until proven otherwise.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
27-12-2012, 01:01 PM
lol..

so it's "bad" not to judge these people?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7dIF0v-oXuE/T9...-w-dog.jpg

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/62980...s-fold.jpg

It's human nature.
27-12-2012, 01:26 PM
(27-12-2012 01:01 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  lol..

so it's "bad" not to judge these people?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7dIF0v-oXuE/T9...-w-dog.jpg

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/62980...s-fold.jpg

It's human nature.
The reasons why judging people is "bad", is that with out knowing them, your preconceived notions may be in error.

That's what I love about the internet it's a chance to get to know somebodies mind first.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp