Why do people insist on judging by appearance?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
09-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Why do people insist on judging by appearance?
Why is it acceptable for people to
judge someone on how they look? I keep hearing people arguing that
even if someone has a valid point it doesn't matter because they
don't look the part. It is bullshit and those people are so full of
themselves. They find judging by appearance acceptable. I think that
is complete nonsense. Most religious types tend to, how did I hear it
again? Oh yes, “people need to wear their Sunday best, in order to
be taken seriously. ” A lot of the ones that I have known look like
they came out of a catalog. By all appearances they look like they
are the kindest people you would ever meet. In reality they are the
most perverse and cruel people I have ever known. Not true in all
cases but you would be surprised. (Look what happens to priests when
they go against their nature. It tends to be a common phenomenon
because boredom causes perversity. One way to relieve that nature is
by masturbation. Also if you think its funny that is fine, but maybe
you need to research a bit more. It is healthy to do and there is
nothing wrong with it.) In any case I never trust anyone that looks
good on paper or wears that fake smile. Unfortunately, I myself look
like a conservative asshole most of the time. The only time I really
get annoyed is when people smell, I will still listen to what they
say but at a distance. At least what is “acceptable” is changing
anyways. Tattoos are far more common then they ever where before.
Still I think people should focus on why they think that it is good
to treat someone poorly just because you are not used to how they
look. People really need to rethink their assumptions.

"No matter how old or young everyone is worth it, everyone can learn and no one is beneath you unless they claim to be above you." -Myself
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LabMonster13's post
09-07-2012, 02:49 PM
RE: Why do people insist on judging by appearance?
I don't like your avatar picture, I am not listening!

Anyway, yes that's a problem.
I found out that a whole lot of the people who look like shit, dress in rags, smell, drink,.... that a lot of these people are very intelligent or at least very interesting to listen to.
Unfortunately at least as many people are actually very stupid and full of shit. So it is hard to give them all a chance...

There are people who I don't like from the first time I see them. Those people who look so perfect, like they just bought the clothes they are wearing, and the hair is always freshly cut, and they are always in fashion, with clear skin, and good make up (on girls), and the fake tein (however to spell that).... They act all smeary and too nice and too calm to be true. And most of the time, these people bad mouth you behind your back, get drunk on a party and fall asleep under the table. And next day they come back to work or whatever, and look just as perfect as always... gosh can't stand these. I tried having conversations with such people because I give everyone a chance, literally everyone. But when all I hear is about stuff that was on the radio and that the neighbour bought an ugly dress, and that the new perfume smells too cheap... sorry... ... Be perfect and leave me alone Big Grin

For the records, I don't look perfect at all, never. I have a big belly, I wash my hair twice a week, and my clothes are not new Big Grin

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Your appearance is not your own. Individuality is a deception. The superorganism that is society requires a form of lubrication in commonality, that of desirable dress and speech and tradition. The gears that turn the motor of the lawn mower do not turn the propeller of the ship. These words reflect the commonality of language and grammar. The wrong you perceive and seek to redress appeals to the commonality of shared moral outrage. This, I read from an atheist. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
09-07-2012, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 03:25 PM by StatiK.)
I would actually argue that judging based on appearance is part of a human being's fight or flight instinct. It's hard wired into our DNA and has helped us to make it to the top of the food chain.

Let's take a pit bull for example. I believe that pit bulls are not naturally a mean breed of dog and that a lot of pit bulls are often owned by shitty owners who mistreat them. Does that mean that I'm going to walk up to a random stray pit bull on the street and pet it? Of course not, it may be one of the aggressive pit bulls that came from a shitty house hold. I'd be a lot more likely to pay attention to a stray if it were, say... a basset hound.

The same holds true for humans, people develop their frame of reference based on life experiences and it helps us to survive our day-to-day lives.
[+] 2 users Like StatiK's post
09-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I agree with Statik, we all have immediate impressions of people when we first see/meet them. The thing is to be open to finding out what they really are.

I tend to do an eyeroll when I see a woman overly dressed with extreme hair and makeup. If she is trying to impress me, it didn't work. But if someone's clothes aren't the newest style or are a bit worn, I notice if they seem to be making an effort to be clean...soap is cheap, use some. Unless you are doing into a home improvement store and it's obvious you have been painting or repairing the plumbing...I say carry on. I get not cleaning up just to rush back home and get all sweaty and dirty again.

But I do have to admit there are times I see people out in certain stores my first thought is 'don't you own a mirror?' Gads, drag a brush through your hair now and again and don't forget that we can see the back of you too.

I am a jeans and t-shirt wearer from way back. My tattoos freak some people out...oh well. Those that won't look past that can just move along, they aren't worth my time.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
09-07-2012, 04:13 PM
(09-07-2012 03:18 PM)StatiK Wrote:  I would actually argue that judging based on appearance is part of a human being's fight or flight instinct. It's hard wired into our DNA and has helped us to make it to the top of the food chain.
... it helps us to survive our day-to-day lives.

I suppose I could agree when met with another species, but not when stumbling upon another human being. I don't think it would be all that hard wired into our DNA for us to avoid our own species... doesn't seem logical.

Maybe if the other human looked like or behaved like something we "feared" -or were taught to fear- but then, that would be a learned thing.

Attraction and/or repulsion seems to be quite subjective, and even one's own reaction to those things can be influenced by a variety of things all very subjective to the influence. Manipulation of influence can certainly thwart our natural curiosity when it comes to socializing with our fellow human beings.

I do think curiosity is hardwired and very much a part of human socialization. I'm personally curious about things and people which might be considered "different", possibly only because I want to figure out why there is even something considered a "difference".

Maybe societal "difference" is instituted, in order to deter our natural curiosity about one another. I think very much of what we call "difference" is a manipulation of the subjective and subjective influences. I can't speculate to what end... but "differences" certainly seem to separate us and cause us to judge one another, that's for sure.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
09-07-2012, 05:50 PM
It also has to do with evolution. If you were a guy you would look for a woman with an hourglass shaped body because she would probably be more likely to survive child birth. Women would look for a man with broad shoulders and a chiseled face as they were more likely to be able to defend her and the child.

Under Repair.
[+] 3 users Like itsacow's post
10-07-2012, 06:32 AM
(09-07-2012 04:13 PM)kim Wrote:  
(09-07-2012 03:18 PM)StatiK Wrote:  I would actually argue that judging based on appearance is part of a human being's fight or flight instinct. It's hard wired into our DNA and has helped us to make it to the top of the food chain.
... it helps us to survive our day-to-day lives.

I suppose I could agree when met with another species, but not when stumbling upon another human being. I don't think it would be all that hard wired into our DNA for us to avoid our own species... doesn't seem logical.

Maybe if the other human looked like or behaved like something we "feared" -or were taught to fear- but then, that would be a learned thing.

Attraction and/or repulsion seems to be quite subjective, and even one's own reaction to those things can be influenced by a variety of things all very subjective to the influence. Manipulation of influence can certainly thwart our natural curiosity when it comes to socializing with our fellow human beings.

I do think curiosity is hardwired and very much a part of human socialization. I'm personally curious about things and people which might be considered "different", possibly only because I want to figure out why there is even something considered a "difference".

Maybe societal "difference" is instituted, in order to deter our natural curiosity about one another. I think very much of what we call "difference" is a manipulation of the subjective and subjective influences. I can't speculate to what end... but "differences" certainly seem to separate us and cause us to judge one another, that's for sure.
Sure it makes sense to do the same thing with human beings. A group of black men dressed like gangsters are staring at you and talking among themselves from across the street from you. A skeevy looking guy in a trenchcoat is following you down a dark street at night. An obviously agitated middle eastern man wearing Muslim garb sits next to you on an airplane while whispering to himself about Allah. A sex offender moves into the neighborhood and knocks on your door, as registered sex offenders are expected to do, explaining that he has spent time in jail for aggrivated sexual assault.

There are reasons that human beings avoid other human beings: It is logical.
10-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Now that we are talking about judging stuff: I have had quite a few experiences where people have pulled the "you can´t judge x", or "judge x by x´s own standards" card.

Not only with Christians saying "Judge not lest ye be judged", but also in general, secular society and among neo-pagans telling me I can´t judge their gods.
I wonder if the idea that you can´t/don´t judge gods and men, originates in Christian influence of cultures? What do you think?

Oh, and for the reference. If I see someone walking down the street, I will judge that person by his appearance, the way he walks, who he walks with, what he does while he walks - and when he opens his mouth to say something, I will judge him based on what he says... and I will hold him against standards which he might not agree with or recognize.
10-07-2012, 09:11 AM
"I am judging that the person who is looking at me is judging me"

Explore this thought....... I imagine the answer and further personal understanding lie in it.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  People who hug Takelababy 50 621 17-06-2014 08:13 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  why do people get to yell at me for something I can't control kunoxian drive 35 563 31-03-2014 06:06 AM
Last Post: Filox
  Shit blind people say BrokenQuill92 12 278 02-02-2014 07:04 AM
Last Post: The Germans are coming
  Florida adventures, eps 3: the people and the food Caveman 0 102 13-12-2013 11:16 AM
Last Post: Caveman
  People who are totally different to what you expect Hughsie 39 869 20-08-2013 10:36 AM
Last Post: nach_in
  I hate these people ELK12695 18 575 09-07-2013 05:05 PM
Last Post: Logica Humano
  there's two kinds of people... houseofcantor 32 1,182 02-06-2013 09:46 AM
Last Post: ELK12695