Why do people make promises they don't intend to keep?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2012, 02:26 PM
RE: Why do people make promises they don't intend to keep?
When reflecting on the outside world (in this case broken promises) ........ I like to reflect on myself (as I am merly a reflection of outside stimulus)

I have made many promises........ some to others and some to myself...... have I kept all of these promises???

Not all of the time no.......... but without making excuses there has been a multitude of reasons why I couldnt keep them.

Two of my favourite sayings come into play now..........

Actions speak louder than words.
Expectations lead to disappointment.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
20-06-2012, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2012 04:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-06-2012 08:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Since I was born with total recall of verbal input, (the verbal equivalent of photographic memory), this has always been a huge issue for me. I hear ya. I just look at 'em, like "what ? You said bla bla bla" ... finally they get it, they can't lie to me.

I got that too, Fullerene. Served me very well at University. While everyone else was busily taking notes and trying to keep up with the lecture I was just absorbing and digesting it. Never took a single note through Undergraduate and Graduate school. It was a blessing. But outside of University, it's a curse. Wink

That said, I've made exactly one promise (discounting written contractual agreements) in my adult life. That was to my wife when we were married 26 years ago. I don't trust anyone who makes a verbal promise. If I give a shit about the promise my response is "Are you willing to put that in writing?". But usually I don't give a shit about the promise realizing that circumstances always change and the promise maker is just blowing smoke.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
20-06-2012, 04:14 PM
I never made promises lightly,

And there have been some that I've broken.

But I swear in the days still left,

We will walk in fields of gold.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post