Why do people make promises they don't intend to keep?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2012, 02:26 PM
RE: Why do people make promises they don't intend to keep?
When reflecting on the outside world (in this case broken promises) ........ I like to reflect on myself (as I am merly a reflection of outside stimulus)

I have made many promises........ some to others and some to myself...... have I kept all of these promises???

Not all of the time no.......... but without making excuses there has been a multitude of reasons why I couldnt keep them.

Two of my favourite sayings come into play now..........

Actions speak louder than words.
Expectations lead to disappointment.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
20-06-2012, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2012 04:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-06-2012 08:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Since I was born with total recall of verbal input, (the verbal equivalent of photographic memory), this has always been a huge issue for me. I hear ya. I just look at 'em, like "what ? You said bla bla bla" ... finally they get it, they can't lie to me.

I got that too, Fullerene. Served me very well at University. While everyone else was busily taking notes and trying to keep up with the lecture I was just absorbing and digesting it. Never took a single note through Undergraduate and Graduate school. It was a blessing. But outside of University, it's a curse. Wink

That said, I've made exactly one promise (discounting written contractual agreements) in my adult life. That was to my wife when we were married 26 years ago. I don't trust anyone who makes a verbal promise. If I give a shit about the promise my response is "Are you willing to put that in writing?". But usually I don't give a shit about the promise realizing that circumstances always change and the promise maker is just blowing smoke.

Any promise of a postmortem preservation of personal identity is preposterous. (read in Daffy Duck voice)
Find all posts by this user
20-06-2012, 04:14 PM
I never made promises lightly,

And there have been some that I've broken.

But I swear in the days still left,

We will walk in fields of gold.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post