Why do people pray ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2014, 09:55 AM
RE: Why do people pray ?
(05-07-2014 01:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Is it because intermittent random reinforcement of a behavior is the very best way to reinforce a behavior ?

So my little brother is a natural with all the animals we have. We have a few goats, and sheep. The horses are my mom's business, so they have their own pro people, but he pretty much takes care of all the rest. It's been the thing (we think) that helped bring him out of his autism the most. So I asked him why he gives treats to the baby sheep, my dog, and the goats. He said "Duh", (of course). I asked him if he really knew why "treats" work. He said "Well they like treats". I explained to him the concept of "reinforcement" and told him about "Operant Conditioning" (in words he could understand).

Well if a random intermittent reward is the most powerful way to reinforce a behavior, I guess that must be why Jebus only listens to some prayers.
Crafty fella, that Jebus.

(It's also the reason that absolute cold-turkey is the only way to stop smoking ... intermittently randomly reinforcing a habit is the worst way to try to eradicate it).
(The habit that is, I suppose the nicotine withdrawal meds must work ??)

http://www.intropsych.com/ch05_condition...ement.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforceme...ent_theory

Yea ? Nay ?

I think people pray because they have been taught from the time that they started walking and talking that "wishing makes it so".

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2014, 10:00 AM
[Image: prayer-does-nothing.jpg]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
06-07-2014, 10:36 AM
The "request" prayers (e.g.: help me get a job, cure grandma, help my team win, etc.) are a total contradiction to the idea of a grand plan. Those that believe that there's a plan for everyone and everything are extremely egocentric to make such prayers.
"Perhaps it's Gawd's plan that Aunt Ethel die of syphilis, but since it's ME asking, I'm sure he will change everything to accommodate."

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
06-07-2014, 10:40 AM
(06-07-2014 10:36 AM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  The "request" prayers (e.g.: help me get a job, cure grandma, help my team win, etc.) are a total contradiction to the idea of a grand plan. Those that believe that there's a plan for everyone and everything are extremely egocentric to make such prayers.
"Perhaps it's Gawd's plan that Aunt Ethel die of syphilis, but since it's ME asking, I'm sure he will change everything to accommodate."

One of my frequent posts "elsewhere" is :
God has a plan. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-07-2014, 11:14 AM
People pray because they are superstitious fucktards.
06-07-2014, 11:51 AM
(05-07-2014 05:41 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I keep reading "Why do people gay" or "Why do people spray".

I have no answer for either.

Let me enlighten you.

The first is genetic.

The second...
with guys it's just carelessness because rarely is it they who have to clear it up.
with gals, first get her relaxed and comfortable and slightly aroused with e.g. a massage. Get in position and start slow. I'll PM the rest Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-07-2014, 02:23 PM

Geroge Carlin and Bill Maher team up on a trio of douchebags.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
06-07-2014, 03:28 PM
I always enjoy that clip - not only because it's Carlin and Maher (on one of his better off-the-cuff rants) but because the religious guy next to Carlin looks so fucking terrified whenever Carlin says something that he disagrees with Big Grin
06-07-2014, 06:22 PM
[Image: post-137-1275139589_zps0442fe78.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post