Why do people think of themselves (and humans) as important?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2012, 07:15 PM
RE: Why do people think of themselves (and humans) as important?
(24-06-2012 06:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The fuck? I gotta repeat myself. ...

I don't. ... Who the fuck in their right mind thinks that?
Well, if you're not important, who da fuck gonna listen to ya?

I used to never understand those Jesus freaks, but now it seems I can answer every question with Gwyneth. Heart

It is tao. Dualities are not inherent in stillness, but rather in motion; as you know, everything moves. The duality here is in the absolute unimportance of I, contrasted with Gwyneth being my sweet everything. As mentioned above by Thomas and myself on numerous occasions, the universe begins with I am, but the sense of unity and continuity is that the universe ends with you.

As to how the theists see it, well, they're just self-absorbed assholes. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-06-2012, 07:19 PM
(24-06-2012 07:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-06-2012 07:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Damn it man, I was just about to say the same thing.

I think it's a survival thing. You think your species is best and so that motivates you to keep it going. I mean if we all thought that dogs were the best species EVER! then we'd be offering human sacrifices in order to feed the damn things.

I am sure that every other species believes they are the best thing ever, just we have the bigger brain.
But, but, dogs are the best species ever. Sadcryface
Wrong sir, turtles are the best species ever.

Also I have been thinking about this (between my last post and this).
Perhaps this is why religion is so big, because people truly believe that God is more important then human kind and so that is why they go to church every Sunday, pray etc..
Forgetting all survival instincts because they believe God to be more important then them.
I suppose that is why they're so hell bent on defending their undefendable religion.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
24-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Importance and the values we give things, the values we give to actions, the value we give to each other, has allowed us to grow and survive as a species. We have empathy for one another because we find that trait important. We value it. I am important to me because I provide for my own survival. I value myself.

I value my actions. It's important that I don't cause harm to other people in most instances. My morality is a conscious consideration for the consequences of my actions. Self importance helps to keep us alive as a species.

When I look at the universe, I see lots of inanimate matter. A LOT.
I am different than ordinary matter. I am conscious. I am self aware. I believe that holds value. It holds importance in my mind.

In the end of it all, it may not matter that we even existed at all, but it still matters to me.
I enjoy this life. I have a son and a grandson. They are important to me.

When you ask, why people think of themselves as important, it's because we are. We are important to the people around us. They value our presence because we enrich their lives, just as they enrich ours.

Think of that small gear in a mechanical watch. It doesn't seem very important when you look at it by itself, but without it, the watch doesn't work.
Every part is needed. Every part is important if you value what the watch does, if you value what society does.

In the confines of a human society that flourishes, people are important because we are the gears and springs that keep it going.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
24-06-2012, 07:36 PM
(24-06-2012 07:15 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(24-06-2012 06:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The fuck? I gotta repeat myself. ...

I don't. ... Who the fuck in their right mind thinks that?
Well, if you're not important, who da fuck gonna listen to ya?

Fools.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-06-2012, 05:24 AM
(24-06-2012 07:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-06-2012 07:15 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Well, if you're not important, who da fuck gonna listen to ya?

Fools.
Your kids aren't fools, are they, GM? Big Grin Or don't they listen to you either?

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
25-06-2012, 05:51 AM
(25-06-2012 05:24 AM)aurora Wrote:  
(24-06-2012 07:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Fools.
Your kids aren't fools, are they, GM? Big Grin Or don't they listen to you either?

Kids? Listen? Man, that Australia place really is a different world. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2012, 06:12 AM
(25-06-2012 05:51 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(25-06-2012 05:24 AM)aurora Wrote:  Your kids aren't fools, are they, GM? Big Grin Or don't they listen to you either?

Kids? Listen? Man, that Australia place really is a different world. Big Grin
Yep, in Oz Santa and the Easter Bunny are real! Wink

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
25-06-2012, 07:34 AM
(25-06-2012 06:12 AM)aurora Wrote:  
(25-06-2012 05:51 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Kids? Listen? Man, that Australia place really is a different world. Big Grin
Yep, in Oz Santa and the Easter Bunny are real! Wink
weird bloody country.

We're drifting away from them here in New Zealand for a reason you know...

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
25-06-2012, 08:44 AM
(24-06-2012 05:22 PM)elemts Wrote:  It's like humans believe humans are great, but not really. humans believe that they (the person saying it) is great.

Yes. I am.
Problem? Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
09-03-2013, 08:59 PM
(24-06-2012 08:54 AM)Zinger Wrote:  People think what they need to think to get by life happy. If they need to think of themselves as happy - they will. If they need to believe in an afterlife to be happy - they will. But, if they'd rather know the truth to be happy - they'll look for the truth.

I personally don't think I'm "important" for the bigger picture at all. I'm important for a few people around me, and so are they to me. That alone is enough for me to get by Smile
(24-06-2012 08:54 AM)Zinger Wrote:  Perfectly said mate at least someone's got a clue