Why do people usually say they don't like democrats or republicans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 12:32 PM
RE: Why do people usually say they don't like democrats or republicans?
(09-05-2016 12:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 12:01 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  Once i get to the US I would likely register as a Republican, ...

You cannot register to vote on a K-1 Visa. You are not a citizen. Facepalm

Naturalization. Which I become eligible for after three years of lawful residence in the U.S. after which I become a U.S. Citizen. Drinking Beverage

I then enjoy all rights and responsibilities including the right to vote. So not this election but the next one definitely.

Source : USCIS

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2016, 12:59 PM
(09-05-2016 12:32 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 12:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You cannot register to vote on a K-1 Visa. You are not a citizen. Facepalm

Naturalization. Which I become eligible for after three years of lawful residence in the U.S. after which I become a U.S. Citizen. Drinking Beverage

I then enjoy all rights and responsibilities including the right to vote. So not this election but the next one definitely.

Yeah. It usually takes 7-10 years after you are eligible. And that's if you got a PhD and a bunch of academic recommendations.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
09-05-2016, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 01:53 PM by DLJ.)
(09-05-2016 08:30 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  ...
I don't know that many reasons why you would dislike democrats in general, they're better people imo.

(09-05-2016 11:05 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  ...
I long for a political climate where Democrats and Republicans could intelligently discuss their differences of opinion without demonizing the other side.

(09-05-2016 12:01 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  ...
I am however a conservative,
Once i get to the US I would likely register as a Republican,

Some thoughts occur...

As an outsider, I can't see the R vs. D discussions as counter-balancing; at least not in the classic (Burke) Conservative vs. classic (Mill) Liberal sense.

Here's how I see the US candidates as mapped onto that (Europeanish) model:

Clinton = Conservative (implying an affinity with many moderate Republicans)
Sanders = Centre-left
Cruz = Off the fucking scale.

Trump doesn't even register as there is no substance to analyse.

For there to be a decent discussion ("political climate [to] intelligently discuss") between the "better people" (by which, I think, is meant 'non-extreme') around the centre ground there needs to be a paradigm shift to realign to the zeitgeist ... a process that has been going for years. Quite well described here.

The fall-out from the popularity of the two 'independent' candidates (Sanders and Trump) is the thing to watch here.

Consider

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
09-05-2016, 01:12 PM
Family based immigration is different. My Chinese ex wife came to the US in 2007 and was a citizen by the end of 2010.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
09-05-2016, 01:20 PM
(09-05-2016 01:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Family based immigration is different. My Chinese ex wife came to the US in 2007 and was a citizen by the end of 2010.

The more you know. Thumbsup

#sigh
09-05-2016, 01:21 PM
We're tribal animals, that's why. It doesn't matter which topic it is (sports, religions, politics, movies, books, etc.), some people from an ingroup will always generalize and dehumanize people from an outgroup. It's been that way for thousands of years.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
09-05-2016, 01:24 PM
(09-05-2016 08:30 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  Republicans, that's a dead give away. I understand why anyone who's not an insane piece of shit would dislike republicans.
You're behaving like a primitive ape. There are tens of millions of Republicans, all with different reasons for being a member of the party. Trying to ignore that reality in favor of your bigoted point of view only shows how much your biases blind you.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
09-05-2016, 01:28 PM
(09-05-2016 01:24 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 08:30 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  Republicans, that's a dead give away. I understand why anyone who's not an insane piece of shit would dislike republicans.
You're behaving like a primitive ape. There are tens of millions of Republicans, all with different reasons for being a member of the party. Trying to ignore that reality in favor of your bigoted point of view only shows how much your biases blind you.

As a primitive ape myself, I would like it to be informally documented that I am hereby offended.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
09-05-2016, 01:37 PM
If you think of yourself as an outside observer, you'll notice that the loudest and most obnoxious from each side will always stand out the most.

One is a picture of a bigoted, greedy, fear mongering police state.

The other is an image of the regressive left, blaming themselves for the violence committed by Islam, and blindly boycotting GMOs and the like.
09-05-2016, 01:40 PM
(09-05-2016 01:24 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
Um, nah I'm pretty sure there's a lot of really disgusting republicans. I'm not blinded by that.