Why do people usually say they don't like democrats or republicans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 03:11 PM
RE: Why do people usually say they don't like democrats or republicans?
(09-05-2016 02:44 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 02:31 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Right, and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with Republicans as a group either. They just hold different opinions on some issues than you do.
I just feel like this negates the all the frustration I feel towards the things republicans do on the grounds of moral nihilism. Except, I get that what you're really saying is to not let them frustrating you, which is beneficial to me. I can still attack their ideas without hating them. How though, do you channel your feelings when you see something so vile and so nauseating, as the things republicans do and say? They make me think violent thoughts, because honestly how am I supposed to be a peaceful person, in a world that's anti love? It's fucking difficult to be kind and sensitive, it's hard as fucking hell. That's like going against your own nature. Yeah, I admit it, I'd take a spike bat to sarah palin's face, what of it?

It's all a matter of perspective. One of the issues that tends to divide Democrats and Republicans is abortion. From the "Pro-Life" (Republican) point of view, a fetus is a person and every abortion is a murder. To them, the "Pro-Choice" (Democrat) view that abortion is no big deal is every bit as vile and nauseating as any Republican views or actions are to you. There are two legitimate sides to just about any issue, and if you see the opposing view as extreme, the odds are they see your view as extreme. My own views on abortion are somewhere in the middle, but I can see where both extremes are coming from and understand the arguments, even when I don't agree with them.

I am not a big fan of Sarah Palin -- I don't think she's very bright, and I disagree with many of her views -- but she has every right to hold those views. That's part of what America is all about. I have no desire to do any violence to her face. And if I found such a desire arising, I would be ashamed of it. In general, we don't solve problems or win arguments by violence. There are exceptions to that, but usually not in politics. I think Donald Trump as President would be a disaster, but it's not necessary to kill him. Just don't vote for him.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
09-05-2016, 04:12 PM
(09-05-2016 02:47 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I feel no differently to republicans than I do a fly buzzing around in my house.

Then stop leaving shit lying around the house Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
09-05-2016, 04:31 PM
(09-05-2016 11:03 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 10:55 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  And honestly, the 89% was just a random number in my head. It sounded cool.

So from now on I should pretty much treat any numbers you provide as random. Got it.

Unless I share a link.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
09-05-2016, 04:41 PM
(09-05-2016 01:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 08:30 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  ...
I don't know that many reasons why you would dislike democrats in general, they're better people imo.

(09-05-2016 11:05 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  ...
I long for a political climate where Democrats and Republicans could intelligently discuss their differences of opinion without demonizing the other side.

(09-05-2016 12:01 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  ...
I am however a conservative,
Once i get to the US I would likely register as a Republican,

Some thoughts occur...

As an outsider, I can't see the R vs. D discussions as counter-balancing; at least not in the classic (Burke) Conservative vs. classic (Mill) Liberal sense.

Here's how I see the US candidates as mapped onto that (Europeanish) model:

Clinton = Conservative (implying an affinity with many moderate Republicans)
Sanders = Centre-left
Cruz = Off the fucking scale.

Trump doesn't even register as there is no substance to analyse.

For there to be a decent discussion ("political climate [to] intelligently discuss") between the "better people" (by which, I think, is meant 'non-extreme') around the centre ground there needs to be a paradigm shift to realign to the zeitgeist ... a process that has been going for years. Quite well described here.

The fall-out from the popularity of the two 'independent' candidates (Sanders and Trump) is the thing to watch here.

Consider

That's pretty much my view as well -- that current Democrats are basically in the center, and people like Ted Cruz and Donald Trump are way out there on the extremist fringe. But of course I would say that -- I'm a Democrat. I'm biased. To a Republican, Bernie Sanders is so far left, he might as well be a Communist. Who am I to say they're wrong? OK, I think they're wrong -- but I'm biased.

Tongue
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
09-05-2016, 07:47 PM
I imagine because many people feel that both parties are ineffective (or just do not like some of the things a party may condemn or support) or yadda yadda. Personally loathe republicans, I identify as a Democrat myself.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
09-05-2016, 08:07 PM
(09-05-2016 01:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 08:30 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  ...
I don't know that many reasons why you would dislike democrats in general, they're better people imo.

(09-05-2016 11:05 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  ...
I long for a political climate where Democrats and Republicans could intelligently discuss their differences of opinion without demonizing the other side.

(09-05-2016 12:01 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  ...
I am however a conservative,
Once i get to the US I would likely register as a Republican,

Some thoughts occur...

As an outsider, I can't see the R vs. D discussions as counter-balancing; at least not in the classic (Burke) Conservative vs. classic (Mill) Liberal sense.

Here's how I see the US candidates as mapped onto that (Europeanish) model:

Clinton = Conservative (implying an affinity with many moderate Republicans)
Sanders = Centre-left
Cruz = Off the fucking scale.

Trump doesn't even register as there is no substance to analyse.

For there to be a decent discussion ("political climate [to] intelligently discuss") between the "better people" (by which, I think, is meant 'non-extreme') around the centre ground there needs to be a paradigm shift to realign to the zeitgeist ... a process that has been going for years. Quite well described here.

The fall-out from the popularity of the two 'independent' candidates (Sanders and Trump) is the thing to watch here.

Consider

Bolding mine. Trump is the biggest rhetoric machine I have ever had the displeasure to see. No actual content is forthcoming. Maybe he really is the right choice for the next president of the US of A, given what I see in the entertainment industry. Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
09-05-2016, 08:12 PM
(09-05-2016 02:44 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 02:31 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Right, and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with Republicans as a group either. They just hold different opinions on some issues than you do.
I just feel like this negates the all the frustration I feel towards the things republicans do on the grounds of moral nihilism. Except, I get that what you're really saying is to not let them frustrating you, which is beneficial to me. I can still attack their ideas without hating them. How though, do you channel your feelings when you see something so vile and so nauseating, as the things republicans do and say? They make me think violent thoughts, because honestly how am I supposed to be a peaceful person, in a world that's anti love? It's fucking difficult to be kind and sensitive, it's hard as fucking hell. That's like going against your own nature. Yeah, I admit it, I'd take a spike bat to sarah palin's face, what of it?

Patience, grasshopper. It will allow you to learn to accept things you cannot change, while avoiding incarceration. I've been there. You won't like it, even in its milder forms.
09-05-2016, 08:16 PM
(09-05-2016 03:11 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 02:44 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I just feel like this negates the all the frustration I feel towards the things republicans do on the grounds of moral nihilism. Except, I get that what you're really saying is to not let them frustrating you, which is beneficial to me. I can still attack their ideas without hating them. How though, do you channel your feelings when you see something so vile and so nauseating, as the things republicans do and say? They make me think violent thoughts, because honestly how am I supposed to be a peaceful person, in a world that's anti love? It's fucking difficult to be kind and sensitive, it's hard as fucking hell. That's like going against your own nature. Yeah, I admit it, I'd take a spike bat to sarah palin's face, what of it?

It's all a matter of perspective. One of the issues that tends to divide Democrats and Republicans is abortion. From the "Pro-Life" (Republican) point of view, a fetus is a person and every abortion is a murder. To them, the "Pro-Choice" (Democrat) view that abortion is no big deal is every bit as vile and nauseating as any Republican views or actions are to you. There are two legitimate sides to just about any issue, and if you see the opposing view as extreme, the odds are they see your view as extreme. My own views on abortion are somewhere in the middle, but I can see where both extremes are coming from and understand the arguments, even when I don't agree with them.

I am not a big fan of Sarah Palin -- I don't think she's very bright, and I disagree with many of her views -- but she has every right to hold those views. That's part of what America is all about. I have no desire to do any violence to her face. And if I found such a desire arising, I would be ashamed of it. In general, we don't solve problems or win arguments by violence. There are exceptions to that, but usually not in politics. I think Donald Trump as President would be a disaster, but it's not necessary to kill him. Just don't vote for him.
You know, come to think of it, I don't get really angry at palin. I do get angry at kim davis though.

I'm not a violent person btw.
09-05-2016, 08:18 PM
(09-05-2016 04:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 02:47 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  I feel no differently to republicans than I do a fly buzzing around in my house.

Then stop leaving shit lying around the house Tongue
So you're saying we should deport the republicans?
09-05-2016, 08:23 PM
(09-05-2016 08:18 PM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 04:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Then stop leaving shit lying around the house Tongue
So you're saying we should deport the republicans?

I didn't really have much of a point. It just clicked in my head, so I typed it :/

But nah, with two opposing sides of the same coin in control, and me somewhere in the middle, I rely too much on both. I value secular law too much to want to rid the country of the Democrats, and I value my guns too much to want to rid the country of the Republicans.

Nobody represents me, so the next best thing is to keep going back and forth in this ridiculous game of political ping pong and hope neither side gets too much control over the other.

'Murican Canadian