Why do people usually say they don't like democrats or republicans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2016, 12:04 AM
RE: Why do people usually say they don't like democrats or republicans?
(15-05-2016 08:40 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 09:02 AM)Mittens Deluxe Wrote:  What is he? An independent?

Saying he is not a democrat is like someone pointing their finger at you as some do to us and declaring "You are not really an atheist because..."

Yes and no. Anyone can be a Democrat, and right now Bernie is one (as in, he is a self identifying member of that party and running for office on their ticket), but historically he has been Independent.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2016, 06:16 PM
(16-05-2016 12:04 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 08:40 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Saying he is not a democrat is like someone pointing their finger at you as some do to us and declaring "You are not really an atheist because..."

Yes and no. Anyone can be a Democrat, and right now Bernie is one (as in, he is a self identifying member of that party and running for office on their ticket), but historically he has been Independent.

Though also right now as an elected US Senator, he isn't one.

Just being liberal doesn't make you a democrat or being conservative doesn't make you a republican. They're terms that don't apply to the same point. That's a jumbled distinction sometimes people in conversation don't seem to realize somehow.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Republicans are objectively worse in at least one regard: they are failing to operate as a functional national party. The Democrats actually listen to their base and provide them with results and changes to the party platform. Republicans promise the world to their supporters and return empty-handed. Also, they tell their electorate what to believe and assume they will follow it unquestionably. The ascendancy of Trump revealed the vulnerabilities present in a party where there's a disconnect between the political and donor elites and the rank and file voters. They weren't really unified on anything ideologically anymore and were running a platform of pure anti-Obama partisanship, that was the only thread tying everything together.

The Democrats are beating them at adaptability. Trump has certainly shook things up and could lead to a party realignment, but given the predicted demographic changes that will be occurring over the next several decades, the direction he would lead them in is a path to even further obsolescence on the national stage.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
19-05-2016, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2016 11:56 PM by Adrianime.)
Hmm, I would say I agree with more than 50% of what democrats tend to put forward and I agree with less than 50% of what republicans tend to put forward.

Hating "the other group" is so tribalistic, and I try to never do it. Being a minority all my life in so many ways has perhaps imbued me with a certain amount of humility that helps me see why other people might be doing things a completely different way than me. Or perhaps I've just always needed to accept the fact that I'm not the one in power, and I need to live with and learn to understand those that are. Not that it really bothers me to do so.

Democrats mostly start bugging me when they eschew personal responsibility/decency for supposed "equality" or "freedom". Republicans mostly start bugging me when they scapegoat a group to be "the problem" and focus on hate rather than progress (has been happening a lot lately).

Overall, I think focusing on hate is destructive, and a way to dupe an unintelligent mass into a form of unity. So I think republicans are currently worse. But I don't hate them. And I agree with them on some issues. And on some issues I don't, I at least understand why they think how they do.

For instance, abortion (already mentioned earlier). I'm actually pro-abortion (not just pro choice). I think abortion should be encouraged and done more often. But I get why somebody might be pro-forced-birth. If I believed that fetuses were baby people then I might feel the same.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.