Why do poor white men in the US predominately support Republicans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Why do poor white men in the US predominately support Republicans?
My 45 yo brother is undereducated, unskilled and unemployed and relies on food stamps, housing assistance, Medicaid, welfare and the rest of the US social safety net to survive but consistently votes Republican even though they would like to take all that away from him. What is this? Cognitive dissonance? Self-loathing? Penis envy? I don't get it. Huh

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-07-2014, 01:59 PM
RE: Why do poor white men in the US predominately support Republicans?
(17-07-2014 01:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My 45 yo brother is undereducated, unskilled and unemployed and relies on food stamps, housing assistance, Medicaid, welfare and the rest of the US social safety net to survive but consistently votes Republican even though they would like to take all that away from him. What is this? Cognitive dissonance? Self-loathing? Penis envy? I don't get it. Huh

I have a friend who's brother is the same way. We both tried to understand him and explain to him that voting for the typical republican may not be in his best interest.

There definitely has to be some Cognitive Dissonance going on in their minds. The law and order aspect of the right appeared to appeal to him as did their stance on marriage equality or lack thereof. I guess the old divide and conquer act still works to some extent.

We finally gave up as it became constant Glen Beck and Fox News snippets from him in reply. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
17-07-2014, 02:20 PM
(17-07-2014 01:59 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  There definitely has to be some Cognitive Dissonance going on in their minds. The law and order aspect of the right appeared to appeal to him as did their stance on marriage equality or lack thereof. I guess the old divide and conquer act still works to some extent.

It all depends on what people believe and what they prioritize.

A huge predictor for political tendencies in the US is the degree to which people believe in a just world - that the wealthy "earned" their position, that poor people "deserve" their position. There's way too much random noise in life for that to be even remotely true, but it's an enduring mythology, probably because it's so appealing.

That's probably why so many people oppose estate taxes - when 98% of Americans will never be rich enough to ever encounter estate taxes.
(nevermind that who gives a shit about your stuff when you're dead?)

And yeah, the punishment-fetish - er, I mean, "tough on crime" stance - attracts a lot of people.

And once opinions are settled, and reinforced with a suitable ideological bubble... you get cognitive dissonance. Cognitive dissonance everywhere.

... this is my signature!
[+] 7 users Like cjlr's post
17-07-2014, 02:40 PM
(17-07-2014 02:20 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It all depends on what people believe and what they prioritize.

A huge predictor for political tendencies in the US is the degree to which people believe in a just world - that the wealthy "earned" their position, that poor people "deserve" their position. There's way too much random noise in life for that to be even remotely true, but it's an enduring mythology, probably because it's so appealing.

I think that's where the self-loathing comes into play.

(17-07-2014 02:20 PM)cjlr Wrote:  And once opinions are settled, and reinforced with a suitable ideological bubble... you get cognitive dissonance. Cognitive dissonance everywhere.

Thumbsup

17-07-2014, 03:43 PM
I wonder if it's not that people disconnect themselves from the people that the conservatives dislike (I speak from outside looking in so may be talking pure garbage).

What I mean is, for example, when the politicians say "X segment of the population is lazy, they are on the dole, they are freeloaders, we must crack down"... then the sap who's listening is thinking "I'm on the dole, I'm not lazy, so *those* guys on the dole who *are* lazy are stealing my lunch." So he also wants to crack down because he doesn't see himself as one of the one's who will be cracked down on, and also he knows that those who *will* be cracked down on thoroughly deserve it. Also he has someone now to blame - I am not in this position for X random reason (accident of birth etc), it's because *those* guys are gaming the system. We must crack down.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Let's not forget latent racism here...after all them Democrats is headed by a Kenyan muslim...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
17-07-2014, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2014 04:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-07-2014 03:54 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Let's not forget blatant racism here...after all them Democrats is headed by a Kenyan muslim...

Fixed.

(17-07-2014 03:43 PM)morondog Wrote:  I wonder if it's not that people disconnect themselves from the people that the conservatives dislike (I speak from outside looking in so may be talking pure garbage).

What I mean is, for example, when the politicians say "X segment of the population is lazy, they are on the dole, they are freeloaders, we must crack down"... then the sap who's listening is thinking "I'm on the dole, I'm not lazy, so *those* guys on the dole who *are* lazy are stealing my lunch." So he also wants to crack down because he doesn't see himself as one of the one's who will be cracked down on, and also he knows that those who *will* be cracked down on thoroughly deserve it. Also he has someone now to blame - I am not in this position for X random reason (accident of birth etc), it's because *those* guys are gaming the system. We must crack down.

I think that's precisely the type of convoluted thinking these fuckers think. It's mental gymnastics I can't keep up with.

17-07-2014, 03:57 PM
I blame fox news. That stuff is presented in a way that is easy to understand, no thinking required.

It's like a religion to a lot of people. They repeat everything they hear there.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
17-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Also because Republicons have explicitly aligned themselves to overt fundamentalist Christianity...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
17-07-2014, 04:31 PM
(17-07-2014 04:20 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Also because Republicons have explicitly aligned themselves to overt fundamentalist Christianity...

That feels like a very stupid move to this voting-life long registered Republican.