Why do poor white men in the US predominately support Republicans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2014, 04:45 PM
RE: Why do poor white men in the US predominately support Republicans?
(17-07-2014 01:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My 45 yo brother is undereducated, unskilled and unemployed and relies on food stamps, housing assistance, Medicaid, welfare and the rest of the US social safety net to survive but consistently votes Republican even though they would like to take all that away from him. What is this? Cognitive dissonance? Self-loathing? Penis envy? I don't get it. Huh

Don't bother him, he's living the American dream that he's bought into. Angel Delusion happens, saith the lord.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
17-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Well, who doesn't want to save a little money on taxes? Even people on welfare ... Facepalm
17-07-2014, 05:14 PM
(17-07-2014 04:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 04:20 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Also because Republicons have explicitly aligned themselves to overt fundamentalist Christianity...

That feels like a very stupid move to this voting-life long registered Republican.

Unfortunately from the outside it appears you are in the minority...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
17-07-2014, 05:58 PM
(17-07-2014 05:14 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 04:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That feels like a very stupid move to this voting-life long registered Republican.

Unfortunately from the outside it appears you are in the minority...

Fuckers are old as shit and dying off.

#sigh
17-07-2014, 06:02 PM
(17-07-2014 05:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 05:14 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Unfortunately from the outside it appears you are in the minority...

The problem is the candidates as much as the base...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
17-07-2014, 06:03 PM
(17-07-2014 05:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 05:14 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Unfortunately from the outside it appears you are in the minority...

RINO hunts have greatly depleted the natural reserves. The Republican party has been shrinking since it's mid90's height.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
17-07-2014, 07:52 PM
(17-07-2014 06:03 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 05:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Fuckers are old as shit and dying off.

RINO hunts have greatly depleted the natural reserves. The Republican party has been shrinking since it's mid90's height.

Praise the lord for that too.

[Image: oscar.png]
17-07-2014, 08:15 PM
(17-07-2014 07:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 06:03 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  RINO hunts have greatly depleted the natural reserves. The Republican party has been shrinking since it's mid90's height.

Praise the lord for that too.

I think the writing was on the wall a long time before. I was reading about Barry Goldwater, and the Repubs when they began to oppose civil rights, and African Americans left the Party of Lincoln in droves. They overtly and subliminally aligned themselves with segregation, and cultural conservatives. It took a long time, but now the wackos (Sarah Palin etc) have taken it over. The Tea Party appeals to ignorance.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-07-2014, 08:24 PM
(17-07-2014 08:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 07:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Praise the lord for that too.

I think the writing was on the wall a long time before. I was reading about Barry Goldwater, and the Repubs when they began to oppose civil rights, and African Americans left the Party of Lincoln in droves. They overtly and subliminally aligned themselves with segregation, and cultural conservatives. It took a long time, but now the wackos (Sarah Palin etc) have taken it over. The Tea Party appeals to ignorance.

We are seeing the ultimate culmination of the "southern strategy" playing out. The party is shattering if you are not on the extreme wing you are a RINO (republican in name only) and are not welcome anymore. The courting of the angry white vote has backfired it just took a few generations. Right now conservative is a dirty word to those under 35 way more so than any previous generation. By actively opposing Gay rights and minorities the Republicans have turned themselves into a minority party nationwide. Once Texas flips blue (it will be purple next election) they are done as a national party.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-07-2014, 08:32 PM
(17-07-2014 03:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  I blame fox news. That stuff is presented in a way that is easy to understand, no thinking required.

It's like a religion to a lot of people. They repeat everything they hear there.

My parents were life-long republicans in spite of the fact that they were solidly middle-class, union types. When you asked them why you would usually get something like 'because the democrats are all for the niggers.'

Sadly, I think that mentally still holds in the GOP. Obama...who is just as white as he is black...rubs their noses in it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!