Why do poor white men in the US predominately support Republicans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2014, 08:33 PM
RE: Why do poor white men in the US predominately support Republicans?
I wish I shared this optimism - the republicons' tactics of extreme gerrymandering and vote-rigging worry me greatly though...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like CiderThinker's post
17-07-2014, 09:15 PM
I think that one of the reasons many of the poor associate themselves with republicans(besides the obvious religious reasons) is that they do not identify themselves as "poor".

When the pundits in the media say that "they want to redistribute wealth", the poor, republican voters fall victim to the delusion that they have some sort of wealth that will be taken from them if they do not vote republican.

They do not identify as "poor" so they have a fear of being driven to poverty by the "other side". Just my humble opinion.

"You're very clever, young man, very clever, but it's turtles all the way down!"
17-07-2014, 09:59 PM
(17-07-2014 09:15 PM)Hoops Wrote:  I think that one of the reasons many of the poor associate themselves with republicans(besides the obvious religious reasons) is that they do not identify themselves as "poor".

When the pundits in the media say that "they want to redistribute wealth", the poor, republican voters fall victim to the delusion that they have some sort of wealth that will be taken from them if they do not vote republican.

They do not identify as "poor" so they have a fear of being driven to poverty by the "other side". Just my humble opinion.

You gotta be pretty deluded to be on welfare and not think you're poor...
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-07-2014, 11:17 PM
Re: Why do poor white men in the US predominately support Republicans?
Well like you stated, its an uneducated or undereducated person.

There is a connection of poorly educated and republican support. The republican party intentionally thrives off this idea and works through their media to encourage those people to remain republican.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
18-07-2014, 12:06 AM
(17-07-2014 08:32 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  When you asked them why you would usually get something like 'because the democrats are all for the niggers.'

I thought it was the republicans who were the driving force behind abolishing slavery? Admittedly a while ago, but it's strange that the party has changed so much.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-07-2014, 02:20 AM
(17-07-2014 01:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My 45 yo brother is undereducated, unskilled and unemployed and relies on food stamps, housing assistance, Medicaid, welfare and the rest of the US social safety net to survive but consistently votes Republican even though they would like to take all that away from him. What is this? Cognitive dissonance? Self-loathing? Penis envy? I don't get it. Huh

Does he own a pit bull?

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
18-07-2014, 08:07 AM
(17-07-2014 01:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My 45 yo brother is undereducated, unskilled and unemployed and relies on food stamps, housing assistance, Medicaid, welfare and the rest of the US social safety net to survive but consistently votes Republican even though they would like to take all that away from him. What is this? Cognitive dissonance? Self-loathing? Penis envy? I don't get it. Huh

Perhaps the key word here is "undereducated."
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
18-07-2014, 10:13 AM
(18-07-2014 12:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 08:32 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  When you asked them why you would usually get something like 'because the democrats are all for the niggers.'

I thought it was the republicans who were the driving force behind abolishing slavery? Admittedly a while ago, but it's strange that the party has changed so much.

Not really. When Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1965 he commented that he had "lost the south for the next 50 years."

Turns out he was optimistic.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
18-07-2014, 11:06 AM
I used to think that liberalism was motivated by feeling (which to an extent is true) while conservatism was more practical. In some areas, this is true. But what I have learned over the years is that conservatism is motivated largely by repressed feeling, while liberalism is motivated more by expressed feeling. Neither has a monopoly on pragmatism.

A conservative will look at you with a straight face and tell you he is not racist. Statistically, he is probably telling you the truth. But he has bought into racist arguments and come to the same conclusions as racists in the name of pragmatism. For people who struggle with racism, this gives their views an air of respectability. "I'm not opposed to immigration; I'm opposed to illegal immigration." Right. That's why you're upset with printing ballots in multiple languages. Etc.

Republicans and conservatives have made a strong case for theirs as the pragmatic philosophy, detached from emotion. In truth, they bring just as much emotion to the table as their liberal counterparts. They just don't admit it.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
18-07-2014, 11:16 AM
They do it for the same reasons some women vote Republican or are Christians. They secretly really must hate themselves.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
[+] 2 users Like Elskidor's post