Why do poor white men in the US predominately support Republicans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2014, 11:22 AM
RE: Why do poor white men in the US predominately support Republicans?
(17-07-2014 01:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My 45 yo brother is undereducated, unskilled and unemployed and relies on food stamps, housing assistance, Medicaid, welfare and the rest of the US social safety net to survive but consistently votes Republican even though they would like to take all that away from him. What is this? Cognitive dissonance? Self-loathing? Penis envy? I don't get it. Huh

How much Faux News does he watch? If the answer is "a lot", there's your answer.

No education + faux news = poor voting choices.

I really wish the republicans could get their heads out of there collective ass and kick the pro ignorance faction out of the party because, seriously, the democrats suck too and are going to spend us into bankruptcy.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
18-07-2014, 11:42 AM
(18-07-2014 11:22 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 01:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My 45 yo brother is undereducated, unskilled and unemployed and relies on food stamps, housing assistance, Medicaid, welfare and the rest of the US social safety net to survive but consistently votes Republican even though they would like to take all that away from him. What is this? Cognitive dissonance? Self-loathing? Penis envy? I don't get it. Huh

How much Faux News does he watch? If the answer is "a lot", there's your answer.

No education + faux news = poor voting choices.

I really wish the republicans could get their heads out of there collective ass and kick the pro ignorance faction out of the party because, seriously, the democrats suck too and are going to spend us into bankruptcy.

Actually Dems are the better fiscal party historically. The last 6 republican presidents have left far larger deficits than their Democratic counterparts. This is one of many lies the Republicans like to push about themselves. They are also worse on national security and improving competition in business.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
18-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Yes and no. The republicans certainly spend money but, historically, the democrats have created more programs that need to be fed. Large scale entitlement programs that increase non discretionary spending are far more likely to come from a democratic president and congress than a republican equivalent. Not all spending is equal, is my point.

But, my general opinion is a plague on both their houses.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
21-07-2014, 08:01 AM

All that, plus a likely side of revanchism. For many WASPs, they want back the things they've lost due to social progress. Hence, sayings like "white guilt", "feminazi", and "Christian nation".
25-07-2014, 01:43 AM
(17-07-2014 09:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 09:15 PM)Hoops Wrote:  I think that one of the reasons many of the poor associate themselves with republicans(besides the obvious religious reasons) is that they do not identify themselves as "poor".

When the pundits in the media say that "they want to redistribute wealth", the poor, republican voters fall victim to the delusion that they have some sort of wealth that will be taken from them if they do not vote republican.

They do not identify as "poor" so they have a fear of being driven to poverty by the "other side". Just my humble opinion.

You gotta be pretty deluded to be on welfare and not think you're poor...

Unfortunately, these people are quite deluded. I've experienced the same thing. Poor white people identify "poor" to equal "black" or "Mexican" (and they group ALL Hispanics into the Mexican category).

I've seen so many obese Americans who need a jazzy scooter to get around (of course, paid for by Medicare) who complain about the "lazy blacks and Mexicans who lay around spitting out babies and asking for government handouts"....while they collect their SSI check and their own daughter or granddaughter in her late teens or early 20's is having her 5th kid by the 4th different guy (it's that whole birth control is a sin stuff, you know).

I seriously think it's a part of racism. They think that, because their skin is white, they somehow contribute to society.
26-07-2014, 01:28 AM
Perhaps it's because he feels strongly on social issues. Is he as anti-gay as many right-wingers are? Is he anti-Obama? Is he religious? Does he have strong feelings on immigration that are shared by the right? People will often overlook an issue or issues when there's a few that they feel very strongly about. A friend of mine, who is gay, is a staunch Republican. It makes absolutely no sense to me; like your brother, I find that the party my friend supports does not support him. He claims that his devotion to the party is because of his fiscal views and how he feels about what the government should be spending and not be spending on. It still seems ridiculous to me, but people will block out what doesn't make sense if there's at least one thing they're in agreement on.

I'm sure there's some self-loathing going on too.

"Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?" --Ellen Ripley
[+] 1 user Likes miranda_face's post
28-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Republicans are generally perceived as the party of lower taxes, stronger military, smaller government, and less (if any) gun control. Undereducated people probably vote for more simplistic reasons rather than seeing the whole complex picture and I think those 4 would be the main attractors.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
28-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Right. Stronger military and smaller government. Talk about not seeing the big picture. Facepalm
28-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Yes I was. Is that really ALL you see? Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
28-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Quote:I really wish the republicans could get their heads out of there collective ass and kick the pro ignorance faction out of the party

Then there would be nothing left.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!