Why do poor white men in the US predominately support Republicans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2014, 02:44 PM
RE: Why do poor white men in the US predominately support Republicans?
(28-07-2014 02:32 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:I really wish the republicans could get their heads out of there collective ass and kick the pro ignorance faction out of the party

Then there would be nothing left.

Now that they have purged most of the other factions this is unfortunately true. Which is one reason they have become a very regional party.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2014, 03:22 PM
I have stopped believing that people vote, or do anything for that matter, according to good reasoning and to their self interest. The republican party is a joke right now. They stand for nothing, hate everything, and have terrible policies. At least at the national level anyway. I would like to believe that republicans are diminishing in power and influence, but my cynicism tells me they are doing as well as they always have been. I will be surprised if a republican doesn't get elected to the presidency in 2016.

I don't understand politics anymore than I understand religion. I can't tell you why poor whites vote republican, only that they do, and there is every indication that they will continue to do so.
29-07-2014, 03:13 AM
(28-07-2014 03:22 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  I have stopped believing that people vote, or do anything for that matter, according to good reasoning and to their self interest. The republican party is a joke right now. They stand for nothing, hate everything, and have terrible policies. At least at the national level anyway. I would like to believe that republicans are diminishing in power and influence, but my cynicism tells me they are doing as well as they always have been. I will be surprised if a republican doesn't get elected to the presidency in 2016.

I don't understand politics anymore than I understand religion. I can't tell you why poor whites vote republican, only that they do, and there is every indication that they will continue to do so.

The party leaders and their media do a good job of fabricating fear. Fear of gays, Fear of blacks, fear of Mexicans, fear of Arabs, fear of government, etc. They then sell the prescription for that fear, "elect us and we will fix all your problems and protect you from the gays, blacks, Mexicans, and the evil government." They use the same sales methods snake oil salesman used over 100 years ago. People still fall for it.
[+] 3 users Like PKJoe's post
29-07-2014, 08:37 AM
(29-07-2014 03:13 AM)PKJoe Wrote:  The party leaders and their media do a good job of fabricating fear. Fear of gays, Fear of blacks, fear of Mexicans, fear of Arabs, fear of government, etc. They then sell the prescription for that fear, "elect us and we will fix all your problems and protect you from the gays, blacks, Mexicans, and the evil government." They use the same sales methods snake oil salesman used over 100 years ago. People still fall for it.

I think there's something to that. Thumbsup

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
29-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Why do poor white men in the US predominately support Republicans?

I was expecting polling data or some citations indicating that poor white men predominately support Republicans. I think we should start this off with something along the lines of - "What percentage of poor white men support Republicans?" Or, we could forget all the numbers and go straight to the core question - Why would a poor white man support Republicans?
29-07-2014, 07:19 PM
We may be biologically predisposed towards a political party:

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2012/11/0...352083453/

"The study found more neural activity in areas believed to be linked with broad social connectedness such as friends and the world at-large in Democrats. In Republicans, more activity was found in areas linked with tight social connectedness such as family and country.

In some ways the study confirms a stereotype about members of the two parties -- Democrats tend to be more global and Republicans more America-centric, the researchers said."

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption