Why do so many leftist atheists endorse Nietzsche?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2013, 02:17 PM
RE: Why do so many leftist atheists endorse Nietzsche?
(02-08-2013 02:12 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 02:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Ayn Rand was an atheist but seems to have inspired the Conservatives. Who gives a shit?

Conservatism does not necessarily mean someone is religious. And Ayn Rand hardly had anything original to say, while her Objectivist philosophy is just meta-realism.

My original point was that I know a number of atheists that appeal to Nietzsche for his atheism and anti-Christian views, but seem to completely ignore his other views.

Atheists aren't immune to fallacies, maybe they're just making arguments from authority without actually knowing what the guy said or something like that.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM
(02-08-2013 02:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 02:12 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  Conservatism does not necessarily mean someone is religious. And Ayn Rand hardly had anything original to say, while her Objectivist philosophy is just meta-realism.

My original point was that I know a number of atheists that appeal to Nietzsche for his atheism and anti-Christian views, but seem to completely ignore his other views.

Leftist doesn't necessarily mean "atheist."

I never suggested it does. What I did suggest is that an atheist will more than likely be a leftist.

And I find it odd that so many of these atheists appeal to Nietzsche while ignoring his anti-leftist views.
02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
(02-08-2013 02:20 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 02:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Leftist doesn't necessarily mean "atheist."

I never suggested it does. What I did suggest is that an atheist will more than likely be a leftist.

And I find it odd that so many of these atheists appeal to Nietzsche while ignoring his anti-leftist views.

Care to support your assertion? Some actual quotes would be helpful here.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
(02-08-2013 02:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 02:20 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  I never suggested it does. What I did suggest is that an atheist will more than likely be a leftist.

Care to support your assertion? Some actual quotes would be helpful here.

It comes from personal experience. I'm surprised that many of you didn't even know who he is.
02-08-2013, 02:28 PM
There was a time when Christians tended to espouse social welfare issues but that seems to have changed. Still there are many liberal and conservative theists and atheists.
02-08-2013, 02:34 PM
(02-08-2013 02:20 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 02:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Leftist doesn't necessarily mean "atheist."

Quite a few libertarians on this site would disagree with you.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
02-08-2013, 02:36 PM
(02-08-2013 02:34 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 02:20 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  I never suggested it does. What I did suggest is that an atheist will more than likely be a leftist.

Quite a few libertarians on this site would disagree with you.

Disagree with me on what exactly?
02-08-2013, 02:37 PM
(02-08-2013 02:36 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 02:34 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Quite a few libertarians on this site would disagree with you.

Disagree with me on what exactly?

That being an atheist makes you any more likely to be to the left politically

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
02-08-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm a leftist atheist and I endorse Nach_in.

Bowing

Or I would if I could pronounce your name.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
02-08-2013, 02:39 PM
(02-08-2013 02:26 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 02:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Care to support your assertion? Some actual quotes would be helpful here.

It comes from personal experience. I'm surprised that many of you didn't even know who he is.

So entirely anecdotal. Also I never said I didn't know who he is, I don't generally subscribe to his theories but I am aware of them (at least in principle).

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense