Why do so many leftist atheists endorse Nietzsche?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2013, 04:58 PM
RE: Why do so many leftist atheists endorse Nietzsche?
(02-08-2013 04:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  [quote='janthuffy' pid='353094' dateline='1375474849']And I find it odd that so many of these atheists appeal to Nietzsche while ignoring his anti-leftist views.

Well, this nihilist don't go to metaphysicists for my politics anymore than I'd go to politicians for my metaphysics. That'd just be silly. [quote]

Makes sense, especially when one considers that what I quoted from Nietzsche was not his metaphysics.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2013, 05:00 PM
(02-08-2013 04:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 02:20 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  And I find it odd that so many of these atheists appeal to Nietzsche while ignoring his anti-leftist views.

Well, this nihilist don't look to metaphysicists for my politics anymore than I'd look to politicians for my metaphysics. That'd just be silly.

(02-08-2013 04:26 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Nietzsche to me is irrelevant. I don't care for his philosophy at all. As to why other atheists may fall in love with his philosophy might be the same reason Nietzsche wrote it in the first place.

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away when Girly was a Phil Major before realizing CompSci would be far more practical and lucrative, I wrote an essay comparing Nietzsche to the Buddha. I argued that not only was their message essentially the same, their practice and methodology were also effectively the same. ...

I AM ÜBERMENSCH!

Hahaha That made me laugh, thanks.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
02-08-2013, 05:07 PM
I see many people who quote some of his stuff in regards to atheism. I don't think that means they necessarily endorse his views, more-so simply agree with some of the stuff he has to say. There are bound to be plenty of people with varying views who have things people can agree with, but agreeing with something they said doesn't mean you automatically endorse all of their views.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
03-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Re: Why do so many leftist atheists endorse Nietzsche?
Trolling a troll certainly can have its drawbacks.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
03-08-2013, 12:08 PM
I will make no comment on trolls or responding to same.

I will make a comment on philosophers in general, "fuck almost all of them". My own personal philosophy could be presented in about 15 sentences and it would be clear to any who read it. The readers may not agree and may be somewhat confused around the edges but they would mostly understand what I meant.

Philosophers are rather like the bible, you may read into it what you want.

I may find the basic tenet of Marx correct in that the masses are screwed by the few, but I find him unreadable. My beloved elder son once gave me a book by Nietzsche, correctly guessing that I would find it interesting, I did. I also found it unreadable. Perhaps in both cases it was because they needed to be translated from german, I don't know.

Philosophers usually go on and on using different descriptions of the point they are trying to make to the end that nothing is clear.

If I may. A major part of my own personal philosophy is that we humans are animals and should view ourselves as such. I would ask if that is a lot more clear than what most philosophers would posit.
[+] 2 users Like JAH's post
03-08-2013, 12:36 PM
(03-08-2013 12:08 PM)JAH Wrote:  I will make a comment on philosophers in general, "fuck almost all of them". My own personal philosophy could be presented in about 15 sentences and it would be clear to any who read it.

You sound like Nietzsche. “It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book.” Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
03-08-2013, 12:45 PM
(02-08-2013 04:58 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  [quote='GirlyMan' pid='353201' dateline='1375483924']
[quote='janthuffy' pid='353094' dateline='1375474849']And I find it odd that so many of these atheists appeal to Nietzsche while ignoring his anti-leftist views.

Well, this nihilist don't go to metaphysicists for my politics anymore than I'd go to politicians for my metaphysics. That'd just be silly.
Quote:Makes sense, especially when one considers that what I quoted from Nietzsche was not his metaphysics.

[Image: reet-seth%20green%20brony.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
03-08-2013, 12:54 PM
GirlyMan, I would point out that Nietzsche used a lot more than 10 sentences no matter what your specific quote. If you want I will offer up more than my one above. But trust me I did not lie, Nietzsche did.
03-08-2013, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 01:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-08-2013 12:54 PM)JAH Wrote:  GirlyMan, I would point out that Nietzsche used a lot more than 10 sentences no matter what your specific quote. If you want I will offer up more than my one above. But trust me I did not lie, Nietzsche did.

There is a difference between "ambition" and "achievement".

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-08-2013, 01:36 PM
OK GirlyMan I will bite and I have in fact reduced it to 5 sentences.

As above, we are animals and should view ourselves as such.

We are social animals and should organize ourselves such that all are benefited.

That organization should respect the other.

That organization should not include domination.

We are dependent on the earth, our home, we should protect it.

Complex in detail but simple in stating. What philosopher ever admitted to that. They mostly get lost in the details. Which I readily admit are immense.