Why do some atheists convert?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2016, 09:58 AM
Why do some atheists convert?
Ive heard of some atheists who converted to Catholicism and they became catholic....they say that they were looking for beauty and truth.....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2016, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2016 10:42 AM by jennybee.)
RE: Why do some atheists convert?
I think people leave religious thinking for all different reasons.

In my case, just really hating "the morals" of the church--it didn't line up with my worldview. I didn't like the way the church treated women or people who happen to love a member of the same sex. Then I actually read the Bible (not just the cherrypicked nice passages I was given in church). And i did research on my own and realized there was not any good reason to believe.

EDIT: I misread your initial post. But same applies in the sense that people do it for all sorts of personal reasons. Maybe a loved one passed away and the idea of seeing them again is comforting. Maybe they never had religion in their lives to begin with and are looking for "meaning." Maybe they never actually read the Bible and are drawn back in due to the pull of family and the church. Maybe they were brainwashed so severely and go back out of fear. Maybe they just want to be spiritual. Maybe they had an unexplained (as they perceive it) religious or spiritual experience. And so on....
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Anyone with an IQ high enough to read is going to become a non believer if they read the ENTIRE bible.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
16-10-2016, 10:32 AM
(16-10-2016 09:58 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  Ive heard of some atheists who converted to Catholicism and they became catholic....they say that they were looking for beauty and truth.....

I would say to them you haven't contemplated the full spectrum and meaning of Catholic dogmas. Drinking Beverage

http://www.theworkofgod.org/dogmas.htm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Obviously they were never True Atheists Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 12 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-10-2016, 11:35 AM
I would think that the answer would vary from person to person, much like when people de-convert. Given all the variables, like religious background, etc., it seems difficult to generalize.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
16-10-2016, 11:39 AM
I have no idea why actual atheist and not someone temporarily mad at imagined god could return to religion. I saw only some vague internet accounts of such things happening and I gather it is a good way to sell some bullshit book for example - I was a heathen and lord grace saved me. Now buy my book sucker.

So why atheists are returning to religion? Provided that it really happens fear of death would be my guess, though nonbelievers are to diverse group to generalize.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
16-10-2016, 11:43 AM
I just watched a Catholic movie call convinced... And it was about people including atheists and Protestants who became Catholic... but most of these people are now writing books and/or doing apologetics for the catholic church now.....
[+] 1 user Likes jason197754's post
16-10-2016, 11:49 AM
(16-10-2016 11:43 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  I just watched a Catholic movie call convinced... And it was about people including atheists and Protestants who became Catholic... but most of these people are now writing books and/or doing apologetics for the catholic church now.....

You also can find Christians and Catholics who switched to other religions such as Buddhism or Taoism. So not really surprising that you may find some atheists who decide to go back to religion. I don't think it's really proof of anything like the Christian/Catholic church would try to have us believe.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
16-10-2016, 11:58 AM
(16-10-2016 11:43 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  I just watched a Catholic movie call convinced... And it was about people including atheists and Protestants who became Catholic... but most of these people are now writing books and/or doing apologetics for the catholic church now.....

It's propaganda! Propaganda I tell ya!
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post