Why do some atheists convert?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2016, 12:46 PM
RE: Why do some atheists convert?
(16-10-2016 11:58 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(16-10-2016 11:43 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  I just watched a Catholic movie call convinced... And it was about people including atheists and Protestants who became Catholic... but most of these people are now writing books and/or doing apologetics for the catholic church now.....

It's propaganda! Propaganda I tell ya!

Agreed. Thumbsup Sad that the only proof they have of their deity is a handful of atheists who decided to go back to Jesus.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Here, I'll sing it for ya...

Community is the answer. Look no further. Smartass

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2016, 04:31 PM
(16-10-2016 09:58 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  Ive heard of some atheists who converted to Catholicism and they became catholic....they say that they were looking for beauty and truth.....

I think this is an urban myth created by religious people.

I've never known an atheist to convert back to religion. And I have been arguing against religion since age 16. I'm now 52.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-10-2016, 04:58 PM
Because brain functions

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-10-2016, 10:17 PM
They can't get any.
They think they will have better luck celebrating "the sacred mysteries" with the religious.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-10-2016, 01:00 AM
Maybe you should ask those who did convert. Because obviously we here did not become catholic.

I'll give it a shot anyway.
For me, when it comes to christianity, my mother tried to indoctrinate me when I was little but I never bought into it at all. I left the catholic church when I was 12.
Then went into witchcraft instead because I thought everybody needs to have a religion so this was mine.

Why not another christian / theistic religion?
I just was unable to believe that there is some godly being however you might define that.
It is indeed funny that I was able to believe in all the witchy bullshit instead though, I give you that.
Another reason I was into witchcraft is the way "scientific" way that many of these things are explained there. With energies and matter etc. That was right up my ally but it was still combined with miraculous things and I still had this community of people around me that believed the same thing.

So over all I could imagine that a lot of the atheists that decide to join a religion, do that more for the feeling of community than for anything else unless they are very gullible people. Don't know for sure though. For me it is more important to be with reasonable people than in a community that believes in nonsense.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
17-10-2016, 08:56 AM
(16-10-2016 09:58 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  Ive heard of some atheists who converted to Catholicism and they became catholic....they say that they were looking for beauty and truth.....

A lot of supposed "I used to be an atheist but..." is the result of an emotional experience, this includes fear of hell, seeing a sunset and feeling a connectedness with something, it's all emotions.

Then of course you have the con-artists that know that they can sell books, DVD's, hits to their Youtube channel or webpage, etc. As long as they spout the "I used to be an atheist" line, they can always get a certain segment of the population to sing their praises and make a purchase.

[Image: fhEdSxU.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
17-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Being an atheist is harder than being a theist. An atheist has to think and reason and examine evidence, a theist just follows. My guess is that some atheists get tired of having to do all that thinking and mental work and just give in and become a sheep.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
17-10-2016, 09:36 AM
Saying "i don't know" is just too hard on the ego sometimes.
17-10-2016, 09:46 AM
I like dancefortwo's response. It's just easier to believe.

I would add that I think it is in addition to being scared. Maybe they weren't atheist so much as agnostic and they thought it better to go with God just in case it was the right one. Death is less scary when you think you aren't going to be only rotting in a grave so better not risk it by not believing.
[+] 1 user Likes mlmooney's post