Why do some believe in a purpose?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Why do some believe in a purpose?
I'm hoping that maybe someone with a background in pscychology or neuroscience might be able to help me here, if this question has already been addressed.

From my perspective, I have no reason to believe that we as a species have any purpose. Although I keep seeing and hearing the message of purpose being touted by many religious followers and preechers alike. I used to buy into it thinking that there must be a reason, but I've moved away from that opinion as I've considered the potential outcomes.

I feel that having no universal purpose free's me up to establish my own purposes and reasons for the way I choose to live my life and the decisions I have to make on a daily basis.

But I still wonder what reason there might be that we seem to innately crave a reason for our existence.

Talent hits the target no one else can hit, while genius hits the target no one knew existed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2013, 09:45 AM
RE: Why do some believe in a purpose?
(07-05-2013 09:16 AM)Hennepin Wrote:  I'm hoping that maybe someone with a background in pscychology or neuroscience might be able to help me here, if this question has already been addressed.

From my perspective, I have no reason to believe that we as a species have any purpose. Although I keep seeing and hearing the message of purpose being touted by many religious followers and preechers alike. I used to buy into it thinking that there must be a reason, but I've moved away from that opinion as I've considered the potential outcomes.

I feel that having no universal purpose free's me up to establish my own purposes and reasons for the way I choose to live my life and the decisions I have to make on a daily basis.

But I still wonder what reason there might be that we seem to innately crave a reason for our existence.

You're right, your life has whatever purpose you give it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
07-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I think people realize that their life is insignificant and meaningless so they try to give it some purpose via religion instead of doing something actual productive because it's easier.

I have a very different outlook on life I like to think to most people.
Most people, certainly people I know, finish high school and either do 1 of 2 things. 1) Start work straight away or 2) go to university and start work after university.
Either way their lives all pan out the same, a whole bunch of education at the start followed by 50 years of 9-5 work, 1 and a quarter children and a spouse or two.

At the end of the day there is nothing extraordinary about it, you just lived the exact same life as billions of other people on this planet and billions more before you. Your neighbor may have a better TV then you, but so what, your lives are basically cookie cutter identical...

I think people see this, that they're just another insignificant shitty expendable spec. They'll die and people will mourn them, but then those people will die and their name will be all but forgotten. People want to feel like they didn't waste their lives and that their life has purpose.

The sooner people realize that they're insignificant beings who's lives could be ended right now and very few people would actually care, the sooner they can all be bowing before me as supreme ruler of the world.

Very few people live amazing lives, even fewer live extraordinary lives and once in a while comes along someone who lives an incredible life.
But what makes it incredible is that there's so few of them.

We, the incredible people, need you insignificant people to make our lives look outstanding. So good job being insignificant, I salute you.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
07-05-2013, 04:32 PM

(07-05-2013 09:16 AM)Hennepin Wrote:  I'm hoping that maybe someone with a background in pscychology or neuroscience might be able to help me here, if this question has already been addressed.

People want a purpose because without a given purpose their life has no meaning or value. They have no reason to exist.

In such a state one might as well sit on the couch, play x-box, grow fat, develop 0 social skills, and live off of their parents until their parents die--while working to pay the mortgage and buy the groceries. Then to fool themselves into thinking they're unique, they can give themselves uniquely stupid tatoos and various body peircings, and color their hair in some bizzare manner. Maybe if they babysit for someone, they can get enough money to pay for their own pint and smokes down at the pub.

Without a purpose, one might as well not be alive. And if no one else has a purpose, the human race might as well not be alive.

You may be alright with that. Maybe you even think you have one up on all those silly purpose-seekers, because you don't think you need a purpose to exist. There's lots of people like that, homeless bums don't need a reason to exist. They just live from place to place, bottle to bottle, drug to drug, and bum off whomever they can at intersections.

If there is no Divine being--there is automatically no purpose for anything. So, if you want a purposeless life, you have to be an atheist.

You cannot create your own purpose in life. That's just fooling yourself and pretending to have a purpose. Let's say you like chemistry so you make it your purpose in life to find the next great drug or plastic material, you're still doing so in a universe that has no purpose and for people who have no purpose. Your work becomes mere vanity, because your whole life is vanity. You can become preoccupied, but you can't create a purpose for yourself.

In my opinion. Unsure
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2013, 07:20 PM
For someone who studies and thinks about life a lot Egor, you sure as hell just don't get it.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
07-05-2013, 07:50 PM
(07-05-2013 04:32 PM)Egor Wrote:  People want a purpose because without a given purpose their life has no meaning or value. They have no reason to exist.

In such a state one might as well sit on the couch, play x-box, grow fat, develop 0 social skills, and live off of their parents until their parents die--while working to pay the mortgage and buy the groceries. Then to fool themselves into thinking they're unique, they can give themselves uniquely stupid tatoos and various body peircings, and color their hair in some bizzare manner. Maybe if they babysit for someone, they can get enough money to pay for their own pint and smokes down at the pub.

Without a purpose, one might as well not be alive. And if no one else has a purpose, the human race might as well not be alive.

You may be alright with that. Maybe you even think you have one up on all those silly purpose-seekers, because you don't think you need a purpose to exist. There's lots of people like that, homeless bums don't need a reason to exist. They just live from place to place, bottle to bottle, drug to drug, and bum off whomever they can at intersections.

If there is no Divine being--there is automatically no purpose for anything. So, if you want a purposeless life, you have to be an atheist.

You cannot create your own purpose in life. That's just fooling yourself and pretending to have a purpose. Let's say you like chemistry so you make it your purpose in life to find the next great drug or plastic material, you're still doing so in a universe that has no purpose and for people who have no purpose. Your work becomes mere vanity, because your whole life is vanity. You can become preoccupied, but you can't create a purpose for yourself.

In my opinion. Unsure

If one merely creates their own purpose from an otherwise valueless life, one still ends up with nothing

What a load of BS. Of course you can give your life a purpose if you like. Whether others have purpose doesn't have anything to do with it.

And most certainly YOU do not know who has and doesn't have a purpose. Lest you expand your woo to include mind reading.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-05-2013, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 06:57 PM by Full Circle.)
(07-05-2013 04:32 PM)Egor Wrote:  If there is no Divine being--there is automatically no purpose for anything. So, if you want a purposeless life, you have to be an atheist.

There is one hypothesis that the purpose of humans is to host millions of bacteria and that they are God's chosen ones. All we are are self-aware walking buffets.

Another hypothesis is that we have evolved to the point of being self-aware but not sufficiently enough not to need a purpose.

Last hypothesis is that we are programmed to procreate as our sole purpose. I like this one the best 'cause it involves lots of shagging Thumbsup

Edit: grammar

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
07-05-2013, 08:39 PM
As Full Circle said, we are self aware.

I think this gets at most of it. I'm not scientifically educated, but from what I understand it's most likely a product of the rapid evolution of our species. The fossil record shows that our brains developed rather quickly compared to other animals during the few evolutionary steps before homo sapiens. We developed a lot of brain power in a relatively short time and therefore began to "think" a lot more.

This self awareness as a product of evolution is what caused us to ponder the meaning behind things. This lead to anthropomorphism, then the invention of gods and religion. This then lead to philosophy. We became accustomed to giving meaning to things, and being self aware, there would be no greater question of meaning than that of self.

It's true, your life's meaning is exactly what you make it. Strictly speaking on natural terms, there isn't much. But to accept our responsibility on a humanistic level is to give life a natural, important meaning on an evolutionary basis. For some this just isn't enough, however, and "deeper" definitions are assigned to the meaning of life.

That's my take anyway, whether it helps or not. Big Grin

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-05-2013, 05:17 AM

The closest we get to a purpose, is a function. That function is propagate our genes.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2013, 05:59 AM
I am afraid that procreation as a main function is not filling any societal needs anymore.

From a society point of view, prolific procreation was necessary because the generations supported each other as time went.

Parents would raise helpless kids to the point where they could help farming/hunting. Then for a while the family would work as a team, much improving output and nutrition.

Next the kids would take care of their own kids, and lastly they would take care of the old parents.

Today, the family is based on no practical bases, kids do not better the family situation but worsen it by costing tons of money and not contributing. And when it becomes time to care for the aged parents, most of the time they are dropped off at old folks homes and left to their own devices there.

While it is still a stigma to be childless, more and more couples are choosing not to have children, and now you have more and more openly gay couples.

Sorry, but I think procreation will not be life's purpose anymore, societal evolution is going a different direction.

Of course you can still have all the sex you want Tongue