Why do the Jews always write G-d?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Why do the Jews always write G-d?
I think it's because they don't want to ever risk uttering the true name of The Almighty. But English is a relatively recent language so how could God be the true name of The Almighty?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-08-2015, 07:40 PM
RE: Why do the Jews always write G-d?
(29-08-2015 07:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think it's because they don't want to ever risk uttering the true name of The Almighty. But English is a relatively recent language so how could God be the true name of The Almighty?

Then why not just give him a nickname? Like G-Man or G-Money or just G?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
29-08-2015, 07:40 PM
(29-08-2015 07:40 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(29-08-2015 07:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think it's because they don't want to ever risk uttering the true name of The Almighty. But English is a relatively recent language so how could God be the true name of The Almighty?

Then why not just give him a nickname? Like G-Man or G-Money or just G?

G-Dog. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-08-2015, 07:41 PM
(29-08-2015 07:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-08-2015 07:40 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Then why not just give him a nickname? Like G-Man or G-Money or just G?

G-Dog. Big Grin

Ooooh that's a good one.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
29-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Well, considering their history together.... what Jew is gonna trust that asshole? Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
29-08-2015, 07:50 PM
That's a good question. I know that, in the medieval world, Jews would save every scrap of parchment that had the Hebrew name of God. The following is from a paper in progress that I'm writing...

Quote:Most importantly, one medieval Jewish source that has not yet been tapped is the famous Cairo Geniza. A geniza (storehouse) is a room in which Hebrew documents containing the name of God are stored until they can be properly buried. This is because Jews consider Hebrew to be the language of God, and so documents containing his name were thought to be imbued with his power. Therefore, said documents needed to be periodically buried just like human remains after they had fulfilled their purpose. One such geniza that was never emptied was located in the attic of the Ben Ezra Synagogue in Fustat (Old Cairo), Egypt. The original pre-Islamic building had to be rebuilt in 1025 after Caliph al-Hakim destroyed it 13 years earlier. It remained an important center of worship for nearly 900 years due to the city’s former status as the center of the Fatimid Empire (909–1171) and its close ties to Cairo. The contents of the synagogue first came to international attention in 1890 when the roof was removed for repairs. Inside was discovered a huge cache of 350,000 fragmentary documents from the 6th- to the 19th-century.

So it's possible that the reason they write the English name of God in such a way is related to this.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like ghostexorcist's post
29-08-2015, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2015 04:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-08-2015 07:50 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  That's a good question. I know that, in the medieval world, Jews would save every scrap of parchment that had the Hebrew name of God. The following is from a paper in progress that I'm writing...

Quote:Most importantly, one medieval Jewish source that has not yet been tapped is the famous Cairo Geniza. A geniza (storehouse) is a room in which Hebrew documents containing the name of God are stored until they can be properly buried. This is because Jews consider Hebrew to be the language of God, and so documents containing his name were thought to be imbued with his power. Therefore, said documents needed to be periodically buried just like human remains after they had fulfilled their purpose. One such geniza that was never emptied was located in the attic of the Ben Ezra Synagogue in Fustat (Old Cairo), Egypt. The original pre-Islamic building had to be rebuilt in 1025 after Caliph al-Hakim destroyed it 13 years earlier. It remained an important center of worship for nearly 900 years due to the city’s former status as the center of the Fatimid Empire (909–1171) and its close ties to Cairo. The contents of the synagogue first came to international attention in 1890 when the roof was removed for repairs. Inside was discovered a huge cache of 350,000 fragmentary documents from the 6th- to the 19th-century.

So it's possible that the reason they write the English name of God in such a way is related to this.

That's fascinating OlduvaiGorger. But it looks like it only applies to the Hebrew name for God. So why G-d? Help us out here DLJ or Aliza. Never mind. DLJ didn't even know he was a Jew until he was like 65 so he's pretty much clueless and useless. Help us out here Aliza.

P.S. Nice wording and conceptual organization on your paper OlduvaiGorge. I think exploring the answer to this question would only enhance your research program. Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-08-2015, 08:00 PM

I figured that it was what you already said; they aren't allowed to use the name for fear of it being 'in vein'.

For English itself, I figure that it just counts for any representation of the name; gotta figure that Jew-god'd know his name in multiple languages and dislike it's use in all equally.

... Then again, Jew-god can apparently be fooled into thinking a public area is a private home by string being wound around a city block, so I suppose I shouldn't be too generous in my assumptions about it's cross-linguistic name-telling abilities...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
29-08-2015, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2015 09:18 AM by Bucky Ball.)
They don't wanna buy a vowel.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 13 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-08-2015, 08:12 PM
(29-08-2015 08:00 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  For English itself, I figure that it just counts for any representation of the name; gotta figure that Jew-god'd know his name in multiple languages and dislike it's use in all equally.

I think you nailed it FreeThinker. Thumbsup

#sigh