Why do the Jews always write G-d?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2015, 05:18 AM
RE: Why do the Jews always write G-d?
(29-08-2015 10:33 PM)Aliza Wrote:  (this is referring to the YW / HW name that Christians love to (mis)pronounce as “Yah – way”.) It’s actually only this word that is regarded so carefully.

How do you pronounce it? I always pronounced it that way.....

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2015, 05:20 AM
That reminds me...

[Image: 6b7f8981c0dcfa3a9eb98d8723799623.jpg]

http://www.vice.com/read/a-gentiles-guid...he-shabbat

...some things never get old. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-08-2015, 05:45 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2015 05:53 AM by onlinebiker.)
Because they're superstitious louts.

"God" isn't even a proper name, the morons. It's a generic term --- like "man".

It isn't indicative of one purported deity but of any of many. They'd just like to hijack the word, and pretend it's property of their particular invisible avenger..

Rule of thumb concerning religion: The sooner you accept the lack of logic, facts or reason - the easier it is to believe.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-08-2015, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2015 05:59 AM by Tonechaser77.)
(29-08-2015 07:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think it's because they don't want to ever risk uttering the true name of The Almighty. But English is a relatively recent language so how could God be the true name of The Almighty?

My understanding is this has to do with the ancient idea of "building a hedge (fence) around the Torah." The Torah was and is conceived as a garden and its precepts as precious plants that is fenced round for the purpose of obviating willful or even unintended damage. Likewise, the precepts of the Torah were to be 'fenced' round with additional inhibitions that should have the effect of preserving the original commandments from trespass.

So in this case, the Jewish law says "don't take the name of the LORD your God in vain." Since the Jewish people didn't want to even get close to taking the name in vain, in many cases, they just didn't say the name at all....hence "G-d".... and i'm sure there are other examples. By not even invoking the name YHWH they, in a sense, build the hedge or fence around the name of God...by not even saying it, much less taking it in vain.

Similarly, this has bled over into christianity and even neo-christianity. Want to know why fundies and the likes have all their fucked up rules like forbidding their congregants to go to movies etc.? Well the same concept applies here. They know that going to see Bambi probably isn't a big deal but they tell you not to because they also know that if you aren't at the theater to watch a tale/tail (ha!) about a deer then there's no way you'll be in the audience for Deep Throat. Tongue

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 3 users Like Tonechaser77's post
30-08-2015, 06:48 AM
(29-08-2015 07:40 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(29-08-2015 07:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I think it's because they don't want to ever risk uttering the true name of The Almighty. But English is a relatively recent language so how could God be the true name of The Almighty?

Then why not just give him a nickname? Like G-Man or G-Money or just G?

Well, "g-d" IS a sort of a nickname. FWIW, I'm Jewish and I say goddamnit all the time. But I'm not religious. In my opinion, gods, unicorns, Bigfoot, and Santa Claus are all equally stupid human inventions. I'm not scared that Bigfoot is gonna get me if I say his name, and I'm not scared that god is gonna get me if I say his name, whether in vain or otherwise. "Goddamnit" flows off the tongue more easily than "Bigfootdamnit."

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 3 users Like daniel1948's post
30-08-2015, 07:19 AM
(30-08-2015 05:18 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(29-08-2015 10:33 PM)Aliza Wrote:  (this is referring to the YW / HW name that Christians love to (mis)pronounce as “Yah – way”.) It’s actually only this word that is regarded so carefully.

How do you pronounce it? I always pronounced it that way.....

We don't know how to pronounce it, and it potentially isn't even pronounceable. We're given four letters, no vowels marks and no Talmudic explanations on how to pronounce it. According to Jewish tradition, the word is pronounced once a year in the Holy of Holies (inside the Temple complex with doesn't exist today). The high priest is "inspired by G-d" to know the pronunciation, says the word, and then forgets it. (Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. Religion is stupid.)

The pronunciation could also include sounds that are not used in Hebrew at all, as such that the correct pronunciation cannot be guessed. We have no way of knowing. So if we don't know how to pronounce it, and we don't even traditionally use sounds like J (for Jeh-hova or W for Yah-way) then why do people pronounce it this way? I think it's because they want to badly to feel closer to G-d, so they took their best educated guess at pronouncing it, and these two are the things that made the most sense to them.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
30-08-2015, 07:35 AM
I think the funniest thing about Judaism is the lil' hats (the kippah/kippot). According to wikipedia the size of the hat correlates with the religiosity of the person under it Laugh out load

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
30-08-2015, 08:01 AM
(30-08-2015 07:35 AM)morondog Wrote:  I think the funniest thing about Judaism is the lil' hats (the kippah/kippot). According to wikipedia the size of the hat correlates with the religiosity of the person under it Laugh out load

That's true in observant circles. The Reformed and Reconstructionist (Least observant) Jews wear these really huge, shiny satin ones (often in bright colors) and occasionally with gold or silver embroidered designs all over them. Also in these circles, women like to wear kippahs as well.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
30-08-2015, 04:26 PM

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
30-08-2015, 04:41 PM
(29-08-2015 11:06 PM)Aliza Wrote:  You know what's nice about Judaism, though? We're not telling YOU what to do, what to believe, or what to write.

You scare the shit outta Girly.

#sigh