Because they're actually talking about gold. Evil_monster

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-08-2015, 08:28 PM
RE: Why do the Jews always write G-d?
(29-08-2015 07:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-08-2015 07:40 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Then why not just give him a nickname? Like G-Man or G-Money or just G?

G-Dog. Big Grin

G-spot

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
29-08-2015, 08:42 PM
I've seen it written in the dead sea scrolls -in person. The particular fragments with the actual symbols are handled like a rock star- only 4 minutes per half hour of low level lighting. It's written differently than the other words in the documents ... really more like symbols.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
29-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Oh! Oh! I know this one!

The short version to this, and I am not making this up, is basically because we’re very neurotic people.

(29-08-2015 08:00 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  For English itself, I figure that it just counts for any representation of the name; gotta figure that Jew-god'd know his name in multiple languages and dislike it's use in all equally.

In truth, there is technically NOTHING WRONG religiously with spelling it out. I see it on documents intended to be read by secular people or gentiles so as not to confuse them and this is completely okay ….But as I just stated, we’re really neurotic, so we’re not going to do that for internal documents. When I write on this forum, I have to consciously add the “o” to the word. My fingers automatically type the hyphen when I’m trying to spell out that word.

So here’s why: It is considered to be improper to take G-d’s name in vain, and writing His name is a part of that (this is referring to the YW / HW name that Christians love to (mis)pronounce as “Yah – way”.) It’s actually only this word that is regarded so carefully.

Really, only the name in Hebrew counts, but the custom is taken up in English as a cultural practice with less (or even no) seriousness on the religious ramifications.

(29-08-2015 08:00 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  ... Then again, Jew-god can apparently be fooled into thinking a public area is a private home by string being wound around a city block, so I suppose I shouldn't be too generous in my assumptions about it's cross-linguistic name-telling abilities...

Touche, Free Thought. Touche.

(29-08-2015 07:50 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  That's a good question. I know that, in the medieval world, Jews would save every scrap of parchment that had the Hebrew name of God. The following is from a paper in progress that I'm writing...

Quote:Most importantly, one medieval Jewish source that has not yet been tapped is the famous Cairo Geniza. A geniza (storehouse) is a room in which Hebrew documents containing the name of God are stored until they can be properly buried. This is because Jews consider Hebrew to be the language of God, and so documents containing his name were thought to be imbued with his power. Therefore, said documents needed to be periodically buried just like human remains after they had fulfilled their purpose. One such geniza that was never emptied was located in the attic of the Ben Ezra Synagogue in Fustat (Old Cairo), Egypt. The original pre-Islamic building had to be rebuilt in 1025 after Caliph al-Hakim destroyed it 13 years earlier. It remained an important center of worship for nearly 900 years due to the city’s former status as the center of the Fatimid Empire (909–1171) and its close ties to Cairo. The contents of the synagogue first came to international attention in 1890 when the roof was removed for repairs. Inside was discovered a huge cache of 350,000 fragmentary documents from the 6th- to the 19th-century.

So it's possible that the reason they write the English name of God in such a way is related to this.

This is not just a Medieval practice. It is still practiced to this day. People bring worn out papers with G-d's name on it to the local synagogue for the synagogue staff to dispose of properly.

Your writing is 100% correct, but I might add to clarify our discussion that it is viewed as profoundly disrespectful to erase or destroy G-d's name, and even though we don't view the word "God" as being the same as the Hebrew version, it is still treated in a way that we consider to be respectful.

.... And yes! I'm sure this entire practice sounds perfectly sane to a forum full of atheists. Yes
[+] 7 users Like Aliza's post
29-08-2015, 10:56 PM
(29-08-2015 07:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-08-2015 07:40 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Then why not just give him a nickname? Like G-Man or G-Money or just G?

G-Dog. Big Grin

Tongue

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
29-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Wow, I've been living under a secular/atheist rock! I had no idea Jews never write the word god. How totally stupid. So let me get this straight, you can think of the word g o d but you can't write the word god. Isn't god supposed to know what's in your head and what your thinking. Haha, this fu*king GOD is so full of sh*t.

Religion is just plain weird.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-08-2015, 11:06 PM
(29-08-2015 10:57 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Wow, I've been living under a secular/atheist rock! I had no idea Jews never write the word god. How totally stupid. So let me get this straight, you can think of the word g o d but you can't write the word god. Isn't god supposed to know what's in your head and what your thinking. Haha, this fu*king GOD is so full of sh*t.

You know what's nice about Judaism, though? We're not telling YOU what to do, what to believe, or what to write.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
29-08-2015, 11:36 PM
(29-08-2015 11:06 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(29-08-2015 10:57 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Wow, I've been living under a secular/atheist rock! I had no idea Jews never write the word god. How totally stupid. So let me get this straight, you can think of the word g o d but you can't write the word god. Isn't god supposed to know what's in your head and what your thinking. Haha, this fu*king GOD is so full of sh*t.

You know what's nice about Judaism, though? We're not telling YOU what to do, what to believe, or what to write.

Yeah, I have a couple of Jewish friends and they never try to convert me or tell me I'm going to hell because I'm a sinner, nothing like that. And I reeeeeeeeally appreciate that, I gotta say.

I love Jewish humor too. At least my Jewish friend is totally funny. She has a very self deprecating sense of humor. When I get down in the dumps she's the one I call.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-08-2015, 11:42 PM
There's also a pretty big range of Jewish practice. This sounds like Orthodox stuff. I would be greatly surprised to hear that Reform Judaism does this.
29-08-2015, 11:48 PM
(29-08-2015 11:42 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  There's also a pretty big range of Jewish practice. This sounds like Orthodox stuff. I would be greatly surprised to hear that Reform Judaism does this.

My guess is most will use the o. Those who are "in to" religion will probably use the hyphen because it's perceived as being more religious. High Holiday Jews are probably unaware of this practice at all, so they may be confused if they see literature with the hyphen. Again, though, omitting the "o" in English is more cultural than religious.