Why do the religious right not have a sense of humor?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 10:03 AM
RE: Why do the religious right not have a sense of humor?
They probably laugh in private - not wanting their fellow religious to know - because religion is the biggest joke - on them.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2017, 10:15 AM
(11-01-2017 07:56 AM)Astreja Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 12:58 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  They live in a black and white world...

This. Humour requires ambiguity, double-entendres and other things that require flexibility in language and thought. They've deliberately cut themselves off from the middle ground, which is where all the funny stuff is.

THAT'S IT! ....it's a lack of flexibility. You nailed it! To have a sense of humor you need a flexible brain, the ability to see things from different angles and perspectives and see the oddities of life. People who are highly indoctrinated don't have this ability because as someone else wrote, things are all black and white and even though Christians aren't supposed to judge others that's ALL they do.

Now I'm talking about the religious right here. I have friends who are religious but they're not heavy core into religion and they have a great sense of humor.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
11-01-2017, 10:29 AM
(11-01-2017 10:15 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
THAT'S IT! ....it's a lack of flexibility. You nailed it! To have a sense of humor you need a flexible brain, the ability to see things from different angles and perspectives and see the oddities of life.

Upright and uptight. They refuse, or don't know how, to dance.

The most artistic and graceful creatures we know of are dancers. They have mastered balance and agility ... both stability and change.

For that skill one needs a genetic advantage but also practice ... lots of practice.

The funniest people are pithy, witty, quick thinkers ... they dance with their minds.

The religious right can't mind-dance.

Yes

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
11-01-2017, 10:44 AM
(10-01-2017 11:08 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What's the deal with that anyway? What is it about religious indoctrination that makes people so fucking humorless? Any thoughts on this?

Humor adds to life and the enjoyment of life. Religion, taken seriously, is anti-life. It is anti-life because it is anti-reason. The more one takes religion seriously the more one disregards this life and reason.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
11-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Thing is... to have a sense of humour, you'd need take things that are said against religion with a pinch of salt, once you become excessively religious, that's no longer possible...

Ati sarvatra varjayet - Excess of anything is bad - from Bhagavad Gita

Oh no. He's here - God
[+] 1 user Likes Cypher44's post
11-01-2017, 11:13 AM
One of my biggest goals as a parent was to have kids that would grow up to see the humor in life and be funny and tell funny stories. It was really important to me. I never once considered religion to be important to their development.... AT ALL!.

In a family of nonbelievers, freethinkers and agnostics my sister was the only one to convert to a religion (Lutheran) and she's the most humorless person in our family. She's one of those people who never really laughs out loud at stuff. If she hears something funny she merely has a slight chuckle and then says, "that was funny" in a flat tone. Geesh! Rolleyes

11-01-2017, 11:35 AM
(11-01-2017 11:13 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  One of my biggest goals as a parent was to have kids that would grow up to see the humor in life and be funny and tell funny stories. It was really important to me. I never once considered religion to be important to their development.... AT ALL!.

In a family of nonbelievers, freethinkers and agnostics my sister was the only one to convert to a religion (Lutheran) and she's the most humorless person in our family. She's one of those people who never really laughs out loud at stuff. If she hears something funny she merely has a slight chuckle and then says, "that was funny" in a flat tone. Geesh! Rolleyes
In fairness that may not be entirely or even at all because of theism. It may be that she was attracted to theism because she was dour / heady / humorless already, or has control issues that humor threatens or whatever. Some religious views at the personal and even denominational level are quite demonstrative and joyous, too. It just depends what they decide to emphasize.

I have to say that I am not the most spontaneous sort of person by nature; either before or after my deconversion. There were people I encountered within my faith that were far more overtly "happy" than me. One of the things I really love about my present wife is that she has, to an extent, taught me to laugh, to not take myself or life quite so seriously, to see the absurdity in things. I think that has been for me, more of a personal journey, of stretching myself and challenging my base assumptions, most of which were part of me before religion got ahold of me, which is to say, pretty much from birth.
11-01-2017, 03:55 PM
(10-01-2017 11:08 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What's the deal with that anyway? What is it about religious indoctrination that makes people so fucking humorless? Any thoughts on this?

People always get serious if their income is threatened.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
11-01-2017, 07:20 PM
(11-01-2017 03:55 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  

People always get serious if their income is threatened.

Especially the preachers. But then they put on this sickening saccharine smile.

[Image: joel_osteen-false_prophet.jpg]

He's thanking god for the piles of money he's making. That man's disgusting.

[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
11-01-2017, 07:24 PM
(11-01-2017 11:35 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 11:13 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  One of my biggest goals as a parent was to have kids that would grow up to see the humor in life and be funny and tell funny stories. It was really important to me. I never once considered religion to be important to their development.... AT ALL!.

In fairness that may not be entirely or even at all because of theism. It may be that she was attracted to theism because she was dour / heady / humorless already, or has control issues that humor threatens or whatever. Some religious views at the personal and even denominational level are quite demonstrative and joyous, too. It just depends what they decide to emphasize.

I have to say that I am not the most spontaneous sort of person by nature; either before or after my deconversion. There were people I encountered within my faith that were far more overtly "happy" than me. One of the things I really love about my present wife is that she has, to an extent, taught me to laugh, to not take myself or life quite so seriously, to see the absurdity in things. I think that has been for me, more of a personal journey, of stretching myself and challenging my base assumptions, most of which were part of me before religion got ahold of me, which is to say, pretty much from birth.

That could be. "Dour" is such a great word to describe my sister. Maybe she's lightened up a bit. Hummmm. She hasn't spoken to me in 8 years and her only grown son in about 12 so I doubt it. We live about 20 miles from each other.