Why do the religious right not have a sense of humor?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 10:09 PM
RE: Why do the religious right not have a sense of humor?
It's the heavy value of sanctity and purity of things so they deem topics or ideas with such veneration that they deem them unfunny to laugh at.

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2017, 10:23 PM
(10-01-2017 11:08 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What's the deal with that anyway? What is it about religious indoctrination that makes people so fucking humorless? Any thoughts on this?

There's always time for a Hitchens quote, and your thread OP made me think of a particularly poignant line delivered by him in an intelligence squared debate. In this case, he skewers the Catholic church over its hypocrisy, chastising the rank hypocrisy the Catholic church (a clutch of hysterical, sinister virgins) has in it's proclamations on what is sexual morality.

"For condemning my friend Stephen Fry for his nature, for saying you couldn’t be a member of our church, you’re born in sin. He’s not being condemned for what he does, he’s being condemned for what he is. You’re a child made in the image of God – oh no, you’re not, you’re a faggot, and you can’t join our church and you can’t go to heaven. This is disgraceful, it’s inhuman, it’s obscene, and it comes from a clutch of hysterical, sinister virgins, who’ve already betrayed their charge in the children of their own church. For shame! For shame!"

See, I think they are all just pissed off virgins, and if they can't have any sexual fulfillment, then nobody else should either. This is why they have no humor.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
11-01-2017, 10:59 PM
No where in their precious fucking scriptures does their godboy ever laugh. Uptight prick.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
11-01-2017, 11:06 PM
I don't think fundamentalism is compatible with a true sense of humor, for the reasons already enumerated. That said, I have seen quite a bit of "lightening up" among the younger generation of Southern Baptists.

They're trying, bless 'em.

http://babylonbee.com/news/category/entertainment/

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
12-01-2017, 03:44 AM
(11-01-2017 10:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 10:15 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
THAT'S IT! ....it's a lack of flexibility. You nailed it! To have a sense of humor you need a flexible brain, the ability to see things from different angles and perspectives and see the oddities of life.

Upright and uptight. They refuse, or don't know how, to dance.

The most artistic and graceful creatures we know of are dancers. They have mastered balance and agility ... both stability and change.

For that skill one needs a genetic advantage but also practice ... lots of practice.

The funniest people are pithy, witty, quick thinkers ... they dance with their minds.

The religious right can't mind-dance.

Yes

This is poetry BowingBowingBowing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
12-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Wait...wait.... didn't you ever watch the pentecostals? https://youtu.be/07cmMhQxjfg

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
12-01-2017, 12:38 PM
An event which illustrates overly religious people are humourless

I walked into church today, saw a guy I knew, he was looking unhappy so I decided to crack a joke.

I went up to him and said "Hey you, do you know who the cutest couple of all time is?"

He said "No"

I replied "Jesus and Mary Magdalene"

The guy looked at me and said "Pray for salvation"

Oh no. He's here - God
12-01-2017, 12:49 PM
Fanatics in general don't seem to have much of a sense of humor. Lefties too. I think there's something about taking one cluster of issues so seriously. Maybe there's no room left for laughter. Also people on the religious right are more likely to have been taught that everything of the world is possibly a snare, so they can be extra wary about anything that gives pleasure.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
12-01-2017, 01:01 PM
I think God has an even more Censored-ed up sense of humour than I do, thereby further discrediting the hypothesis that they were created in his image.

'Murican Canadian
12-01-2017, 01:10 PM
(12-01-2017 12:38 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:  An event which illustrates overly religious people are humourless

I walked into church today, saw a guy I knew, he was looking unhappy so I decided to crack a joke.

I went up to him and said "Hey you, do you know who the cutest couple of all time is?"

He said "No"

I replied "Jesus and Mary Magdalene"

The guy looked at me and said "Pray for salvation"

I don't think that demonstrated his lack of a sense of humor.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP