Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Why do theists come to this forum?
We're all here for different reasons.

I'm a relatively new deconvert, so I come here frequently to listen to rational arguments against theism in order reinforce my newly held beliefs. Something so irrational should be very easy to dismiss. But because the decades of indoctrination and the threats for apostasy built in to the religion itself, it takes longer than it should.

That's my reason for being here. I wondered why others would visit this site daily. Especially Christians or other theists. What do you get out of it? Are you here to proselytize, to evangelize or to save souls? Do you have your own doubts and are looking for answers? Are you here to defend God, Jesus, Mohammad, Allah, Joseph Smth, et al against attacks by faithless cretins?

I know many will respond with snarky answers. That's OK. But, what I'm really interested in is understanding the psychology of what causes a person to so passionately believe or not believe. So if you can, be brutally honest.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mgoering's post
02-02-2016, 10:49 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
God sends them here to convert your black soul, and mine!
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
02-02-2016, 10:51 AM
A creditable but very rare few are just genuinely interested in how people have come to different conclusions and such.

Anyone who claims a proselytising mantle is - judging from their whackamole ilk here - almost entirely concerned with only self-gratification.

... this is my signature!
[+] 6 users Like cjlr's post
02-02-2016, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 11:03 AM by Szuchow.)
Some of them come here to preach, to share what they deem Truth with souls in need of being saved from eternal damnation. One also should not discount possibility of preaching being pleasurable for believers.

Some of them I suppose may want something approaching real discussion.

Having said that I'm kinda surprised that theists came here. I don't see a need to visit religious forums. Though if spouting nonsense about space wizard indeed brings some satisfaction then I consider myself not surprised.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
02-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Some of them come to be abused and get brownies from their gods for it.

I've also seen young apologists here to try and sharpen their teeth.

Some want to save souls, or at least obey the command to spread their religion.

Some just want to feel superior.

And there are some with a genuine interest.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
02-02-2016, 11:02 AM
(02-02-2016 10:55 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Having said that I'm kinda surprised that theists came here. I don't see a need to visit religious forums.

I do on (rare) occasion, because like I said I find it interesting to see where people are coming from. On the other hand, we're so inundated with Christian memes and experience in our societies that there's not much need to go that far for a source.

... this is my signature!
02-02-2016, 11:02 AM
I have heard many stories of people trying to go deeper in their faith, they wanted to know it was true and set out on a journey to hear all the arguements against it. They wanted to know that nothing was over looked. They are certain it will make their beliefs stronger.

for many, they end up atheists. They look at the evidence, they use logic and reason, they end up in a place they didn't expect.

it can be very traumatizing- their whole world view completely shifts and it's hard for some to handle. It's always been important for me to figure out if some one has legitimate questions or are just trolling. And it's why all (theists/atheists) are welcome here.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 6 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
02-02-2016, 12:44 PM
they come here because their god-thingy told them in another one of their usual hallucinations to come here to covert your evil sinful life and ours back into the 10% income tax payment life so that we may be saved from our savior's unending love of throwing us in hell Drinking Beverage

seriously what else would be their motivation besides trying to covert us back in order to think "they converted to my personally preferred version of religion so what I believe in IS true and absolute" Dodgy
02-02-2016, 01:04 PM
To reinforce their feelings of superiority, mostly.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
02-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Atheists should join with polytheists, as both are against a notion of a Creator.