Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2016, 06:12 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
dont say it. watching q get destroyed entertains me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
06-02-2016, 08:39 AM
I thought theists came to this forum so that they could collect negative rep points for daring to not immediately accept what they were told to think by the forum's peacocks?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
06-02-2016, 09:30 AM
(05-02-2016 03:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  So, Q is here to save Bucky.

I didn't realize Q actually believed people had demons.

Bucky gets a special messenger from god to help him rid himself of his demon, and he has been given the magic words.

Waiting for the next chapter.... Drinking Beverage

Special being the operative word here. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
06-02-2016, 11:35 PM
(06-02-2016 08:39 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I thought theists came to this forum so that they could collect negative rep points for daring to not immediately accept what they were told to think by the forum's peacocks?

Stop projecting.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-02-2016, 06:22 AM
(06-02-2016 08:39 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I thought theists came to this forum so that they could collect negative rep points for daring to not immediately accept what they were told to think by the forum's peacocks?

Their negative reps have nothing to do with their delusional thinking, willful ignorance, or dishonesty?

Sure. Why are you even here? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2016, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 02:51 PM by Tomasia.)
(04-02-2016 11:05 AM)mgoering Wrote:  Thank you for your candor Tomasia. This answer falls outside of the presupposed ideas I had about why a theist would take the time to frequent an atheist forum. It sounds like your theism has a small part to do with it. You're more interested in discovering a broad array of ideas via the internet.

Yes, I’m just a participant in this forum that just so happens to be a theists. In someways my theism is more peripheral rather than central to my presence here.

Quote:Does what you hear from this forum, the arguments that are presented, sway you at all in your belief in God?

Not really, if anything it’s made me more entrenched, more confident and certain about it, and I’ve been a part of atheists groups like this for over a decade. In a lot of ways the problem seems to be a sort of metaphorical language barrier. Whatever misunderstandings we have of each others seems to be impenetrable. The more time I spend with atheists on the internet, the more I become aware how alien we are from each other, that we might as well inhabit two different planets.

Most atheists I run across imagine that the question of the existence of the flying spaghetti monster, and in regards to the existence of God are similar questions. As if the questions of God can be separated from the teleological questions that ground and serve as basis for the belief in God, and of religion; questions regarding meaning, morality, of truth and Goodness. Where they see two distinct questions, believers such as myself see only one. So discussions about religion and God, always seem to me discussion about something other than God or religion.

As Dostoevsky’s Prince Myschin put it:
“Only one thing struck me: it was as if that was not at all what he was talking about all the while, and it struck me precisely because before, too, however many unbelievers I’ve met, however many books I’ve read on the subject, it has always seemed to me that they were talking or writing books that were not at all about that, though it looked as if it was about that.”.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
07-02-2016, 03:16 PM
(07-02-2016 02:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 11:05 AM)mgoering Wrote:  Thank you for your candor Tomasia. This answer falls outside of the presupposed ideas I had about why a theist would take the time to frequent an atheist forum. It sounds like your theism has a small part to do with it. You're more interested in discovering a broad array of ideas via the internet.

Yes, I’m just a participant in this forum that just so happens to be a theists. In someways my theism is more peripheral rather than central to my presence here.

Quote:Does what you hear from this forum, the arguments that are presented, sway you at all in your belief in God?

Not really, if anything it’s made me more entrenched, more confident and certain about it, and I’ve been a part of atheists groups like this for over a decade. In a lot of ways the problem seems to be a sort of metaphorical language barrier. Whatever misunderstandings we have of each others seems to be impenetrable. The more time I spend with atheists on the internet, the more I become aware how alien we are from each other, that we might as well inhabit two different planets.

Most atheists I run across imagine that the question of the existence of the flying spaghetti monster, and in regards to the existence of God are similar questions. As if the questions of God can be separated from the teleological questions that ground and serve as basis for the belief in God, and of religion; questions regarding meaning, morality, of truth and Goodness. Where they see two distinct questions, believers such as myself see only one. So discussions about religion and God, always seem to me discussion about something other than God or religion.

As Dostoevsky’s Prince Myschin put it:
“Only one thing struck me: it was as if that was not at all what he was talking about all the while, and it struck me precisely because before, too, however many unbelievers I’ve met, however many books I’ve read on the subject, it has always seemed to me that they were talking or writing books that were not at all about that, though it looked as if it was about that.”.

Interesting. For me it's exactly the opposite, I find the more time I spend with theists the more we have in common except for the delusion part and religious agenda, of course.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
08-02-2016, 12:13 AM
(05-02-2016 02:00 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 01:57 PM)enochian Wrote:  Blaspheming against the Holy Spirit is the only Unforgivable Sin.

You cannot be saved.

Why don't you two get a room? Maybe you can annihilate each other.

Big Grin

I almost fell out of bed laughing.
08-02-2016, 12:20 AM
(07-02-2016 03:16 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I find the more time I spend with theists the more we have in common except for the delusion part and religious agenda, of course.

So... nothing much in common then? Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-02-2016, 12:31 AM
As for my diagnosis on why believers come here: Ego.

They believe they have the "real" truth and are earger to rub it in our faces.

Not all who come here are like that but my experience here suggests it's the overwhelming majority. Guys like pops and Q are arrogant pricks in the way that they spread the "loving" word of their imaginary sky daddy. It's a safe bet to assume that anonymity of the internet is the only way that cocky attitude they possess is set free. They might proselytize in face to face interactions but not with the same tone.
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post