Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2016, 08:14 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(07-02-2016 02:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Most atheists I run across imagine that the question of the existence of the flying spaghetti monster, and in regards to the existence of God are similar questions. As if the questions of God can be separated from the teleological questions that ground and serve as basis for the belief in God, and of religion; questions regarding meaning, morality, of truth and Goodness. Where they see two distinct questions, believers such as myself see only one.

That is precisely the problem. It proves that your thinking is presuppositional, that it is impossible for you to separate the human and factual from your imaginary god.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-02-2016, 01:12 PM
(05-02-2016 02:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 01:43 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  So... you won't type Jesus Christ is Lord, then? You PREFER I stick around to point out your nonsense?

If I type "Jebus is Lard" do we get a 2 week vacation from you ?
That should be worth *something*, no ? Close enough ?
I really could care less what you do, Queue. Your Fundie shit is almost too easy to refute, so you're not a challenge in the slightest. Your parroted pre-canned "stuf", we've all heard a million times.

My nurse friends in clinic triage answer calls in their queue. They call it the "qwee-wee". That's a good name for you.

So, you would say you are a healthy, non-demon possessed man, yet you are physically/psychically unable to type less than a half-dozen words to rid me from these forums? Are you a masochist, then?

However, I'm not here to be challenge or plaything for you. I'm here so that you might find salvation. Atheists, particularly the ones on forums, can be especially bitter and vile people. Wonder no more why tens of millions of active witnesses worldwide are reaching others for Jesus but only a handful come to these forums. It's because we care for you and are willing to endure--for a while--your rantings.

God bless you, BB.

PS. What does your family think of your personal liberal sexual, educational and religious stances?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
08-02-2016, 01:14 PM
(08-02-2016 08:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-02-2016 02:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Most atheists I run across imagine that the question of the existence of the flying spaghetti monster, and in regards to the existence of God are similar questions. As if the questions of God can be separated from the teleological questions that ground and serve as basis for the belief in God, and of religion; questions regarding meaning, morality, of truth and Goodness. Where they see two distinct questions, believers such as myself see only one.

That is precisely the problem. It proves that your thinking is presuppositional, that it is impossible for you to separate the human and factual from your imaginary god.

Have you allowed for relationship in your thesis? I have a relationship with God that brings Him to my thoughts and considerations--although sometimes like Descartes I will try to think as though I'm an atheist or some cultist rather than be presuppositional.

I could think like I don't have a relationship with my spouse, and that would color my thoughts and practice on adultery. Being presuppositional is a hallmark of faithfulness in some ways, and a long walk with God, the King.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
08-02-2016, 01:24 PM
(04-02-2016 03:14 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Okay Q. I have a few questions for you.

Do you come to this forum to express your own brand of humor, or do you come in an effort to inform people about your religious beliefs? -Perhaps even with the hope of "saving" people? If the latter is the case, do you think you've been successful here? Do you believe you've helped anyone in particular?

I've been successful at my main goals, I think. They are not what you've postulated. I believe lurkers, Christian and non-Christian, get to see the other side of the coin through my posts. I also hope to encourage my atheist friends, who, almost to a person, are really just lapsed Christians. I don't need to "save" an already saved person, right? But by encouraging them to be humble and repent...

Thanks for asking (and reminding).

[+] 1 user Likes The Q Continuum's post
08-02-2016, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2016 03:17 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(08-02-2016 01:12 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  So, you would say you are a healthy, non-demon possessed man, yet you are physically/psychically unable to type less than a half-dozen words to rid me from these forums? Are you a masochist, then?

You need to read Dr. Elaine Pagels' (Princeton) book entitled "The Origins of Satan" and rid yourself of the ancient nonsense of "demons" and "possession", and at least join the 18th Century.

Your disingenuous attempt to place the "ball in my court" which I fully recognize as dishonesty, and an obvious attempt at deflection is your problem. How you chose to waste your time is up to you.

(08-02-2016 01:12 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  However, I'm not here to be challenge or plaything for you. I'm here so that you might find salvation. Atheists, particularly the ones on forums, can be especially bitter and vile people. Wonder no more why tens of millions of active witnesses worldwide are reaching others for Jesus but only a handful come to these forums. It's because we care for you and are willing to endure--for a while--your rantings.

Nice try. You will always be nothing but a plaything, with your ingnorant level of knowledge concerning the texts and culture you pretent to spout about. I know of no "bitter and angry" people here. I do get that you NEED to project that crap, as that's all you have in your pathetic "arsenal" to use, as your Biblical Fundie nonsense has been proven to be outdated, and false. No one is going to "find salvation" through an ignoramus.

(08-02-2016 01:12 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  PS. What does your family think of your personal liberal sexual, educational and religious stances?

I grew up in a very religious (thankfully liberal, and enlightened) environment, which included a few in the "clerical" state. I escaped being tortured by the ignorant crap you Fundies spout that causes so much pain and torment to people born into your ignorant traditions.

In short, they couldn't be prouder of me.

Typing a lie serves nothing and no one. You will not place the responsibility of your being here or not being here, on me.
But we all get that you think that doing so , has magical powers.

Grow up, Q. You are a disgrace to the human race, and civilized people.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-02-2016, 02:49 PM
(08-02-2016 01:14 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 08:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  That is precisely the problem. It proves that your thinking is presuppositional, that it is impossible for you to separate the human and factual from your imaginary god.

Have you allowed for relationship in your thesis? I have a relationship with God that brings Him to my thoughts and considerations--although sometimes like Descartes I will try to think as though I'm an atheist or some cultist rather than be presuppositional.

You imagine you have a relationship. I doubt you are capable of thinking like an atheist.

Quote:I could think like I don't have a relationship with my spouse, and that would color my thoughts and practice on adultery. Being presuppositional is a hallmark of faithfulness in some ways, and a long walk with God, the King.

Being presuppositional is is a hallmark of lazy thinking and ignorance.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-02-2016, 02:59 PM
(08-02-2016 01:12 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  So, you would say you are a healthy, non-demon possessed man, yet you are physically/psychically unable to type less than a half-dozen words to rid me from these forums? Are you a masochist, then?

Oh, for crying out loud, Q!

Jesus is Lord!

So now I lied so you would be happy. I said something I don't believe, and you don't ever see me doing that. But, just for you! Does it satisfy?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-02-2016, 03:14 PM
(08-02-2016 08:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  That is precisely the problem. It proves that your thinking is presuppositional, that it is impossible for you to separate the human and factual from your imaginary god.

I would respond to this, but I'm not too sure what you mean.

Everyone has their presuppositions, on which everything else is built on, regardless if we acknowledge those presuppositions or not.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
08-02-2016, 07:13 PM
(07-02-2016 02:37 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 11:05 AM)mgoering Wrote:  Thank you for your candor Tomasia. This answer falls outside of the presupposed ideas I had about why a theist would take the time to frequent an atheist forum. It sounds like your theism has a small part to do with it. You're more interested in discovering a broad array of ideas via the internet.

Yes, I’m just a participant in this forum that just so happens to be a theists. In someways my theism is more peripheral rather than central to my presence here.

Quote:Does what you hear from this forum, the arguments that are presented, sway you at all in your belief in God?

Most atheists I run across imagine that the question of the existence of the flying spaghetti monster, and in regards to the existence of God are similar questions. As if the questions of God can be separated from the teleological questions that ground and serve as basis for the belief in God, and of religion; questions regarding meaning, morality, of truth and Goodness. Where they see two distinct questions, believers such as myself see only one. So discussions about religion and God, always seem to me discussion about something other than God or religion.

Most atheists who mention the flying spaghetti monster are beyond trying to layout a rational argument as to why they no longer believe in God. Essentially, they have given up and are just mocking believers.

I'm talking about the rational arguments that are given here. For example, in this post you equate God with questions about meaning, morality, truth and goodness. How do you make that connection when you read about what a insecure, spiteful, vengeful, impatient prick the God of the OT is. That's just one example.

I'm sure you also realize that there are billions of people on this planet of many different faiths (and millions with no faith at all) who possess meaning, morality, truth and goodness, just as much as any christian would. How do you explain that?

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 2 users Like mgoering's post
08-02-2016, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2016 08:02 PM by Bucky Ball.)

Snort. Another self-righteous Church lady, parading his superiority.
Why are you here again ?

Thanks for admitting that your belief is a "gap filler" to enable you to answer those questions, and not a 'relationship' with a god, as most theists would claim. Religion has no corner on the market for "meaning, morality, truth" and goodness". If you *need* it to find that. The fact you think it does, proves you are Presuppositionalist.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.