Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2016, 02:19 PM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(02-02-2016 11:02 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 10:55 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Having said that I'm kinda surprised that theists came here. I don't see a need to visit religious forums.

I do on (rare) occasion, because like I said I find it interesting to see where people are coming from. On the other hand, we're so inundated with Christian memes and experience in our societies that there's not much need to go that far for a source.

For me it's enough that I must listen to religious drivel when I'm traveling by the train or by other means of public communication. Such talks may not happen often but when they do even worst of forum trolls appear intellectual by comparison. In light of this I see no reason for frequenting forums for believers.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2016, 02:21 PM
OP, I wonder the same.

Just like I wonder why trolls go to videos on YouTube featuring bands they dislike, or songs they hate, just to leave hateful comments. What's the point?
02-02-2016, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 05:11 PM by Szuchow.)
(02-02-2016 01:52 PM)enochian Wrote:  Atheists should join with polytheists, as both are against a notion of a Creator.

Polytheistic religions may be more tolerant (from what little I know) but it isn't sensible reason for supporting them. One does not cure AIDS with syphilis.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 8 users Like Szuchow's post
02-02-2016, 03:46 PM
(02-02-2016 01:52 PM)enochian Wrote:  Atheists should join with polytheists, as both are against a notion of a Creator.

Ummm, no. Drinking Beverage

Atheist means without any gods.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
02-02-2016, 03:50 PM

What would who gain by that?
02-02-2016, 04:18 PM
(02-02-2016 10:45 AM)mgoering Wrote:  That's my reason for being here. I wondered why others would visit this site daily. Especially Christians or other theists. What do you get out of it? Are you here to proselytize, to evangelize or to save souls? Do you have your own doubts and are looking for answers? Are you here to defend God, Jesus, Mohammad, Allah, Joseph Smth, et al against attacks by faithless cretins?

I came here because I’m embarking on a path that I believe will bring me very close to people who are atheists. I am a fairly religious person, so I wondered how I might be received by them. I basically joined to find out for myself what atheists (specifically atheists who are not from my culture) are like first hand.

No, I’m not here to proselytize. Fortunately, my religion doesn’t believe that any souls are in danger, so there is no need for me to launch a crusade. While I’m here, though, I find that I enjoy presenting the Jewish position as it has been taught to me. Not to convince, but just to participate in interesting conversations and hopefully be informative.

When I came here, I really only planned to stay for a few weeks (tops!)… But I’m still not ready to go. I kind of like you guys. Smile

Even though we have different lifestyles and outlooks, I still find that we have shared goals. –That is to say that at least some of our goals overlap. Some do not, but very few are truly at odds.
[+] 16 users Like Aliza's post
02-02-2016, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 04:59 PM by Chas.)
(02-02-2016 04:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 10:45 AM)mgoering Wrote:  That's my reason for being here. I wondered why others would visit this site daily. Especially Christians or other theists. What do you get out of it? Are you here to proselytize, to evangelize or to save souls? Do you have your own doubts and are looking for answers? Are you here to defend God, Jesus, Mohammad, Allah, Joseph Smth, et al against attacks by faithless cretins?

I came here because I’m embarking on a path that I believe will bring me very close to people who are atheists. I am a fairly religious person, so I wondered how I might be received by them. I basically joined to find out for myself what atheists (specifically atheists who are not from my culture) are like first hand.

I don't know that you've made it entirely clear what your culture is. Consider
Maybe I just missed it. Are you American? Israeli? Other?

Quote:No, I’m not here to proselytize. Fortunately, my religion doesn’t believe that any souls are in danger, so there is no need for me to launch a crusade. While I’m here, though, I find that I enjoy presenting the Jewish position as it has been taught to me. Not to convince, but just to participate in interesting conversations and hopefully be informative.

You are succeeding.

Quote:When I came here, I really only planned to stay for a few weeks (tops!)… But I’m still not ready to go. I kind of like you guys. Smile

That's because you have an evil, dark side that is naturally attracted to the baby-eating heathen. Yes

Quote:Even though we have different lifestyles and outlooks, I still find that we have shared goals. –That is to say that at least some of our goals overlap. Some do not, but very few are truly at odds.

We're all God's children. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
02-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Trolling for kinky sex with heathens.... what else? Tongue

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
02-02-2016, 04:57 PM
(02-02-2016 04:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Even though we have different lifestyles and outlooks, I still find that we have shared goals. –That is to say that at least some of our goals overlap. Some do not, but very few are truly at odds.

Sure, masons... atheists, I mean atheists are natural partners for Jews in schemes pertaining to world domination.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
02-02-2016, 05:07 PM
(02-02-2016 04:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

No, I’m not here to proselytize. Fortunately, my religion doesn’t believe that any souls are in danger, so there is no need for me to launch a crusade. While I’m here, though, I find that I enjoy presenting the Jewish position as it has been taught to me. Not to convince, but just to participate in interesting conversations and hopefully be informative.

When I came here, I really only planned to stay for a few weeks (tops!)… But I’m still not ready to go. I kind of like you guys. Smile

Even though we have different lifestyles and outlooks, I still find that we have shared goals. –That is to say that at least some of our goals overlap. Some do not, but very few are truly at odds.

We like you here. I hope you keep staying Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post