Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2016, 08:38 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(10-02-2016 08:08 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 09:22 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I came here to discuss the possibility/ probability of a singular creative force.

In order to discuss possibility beyond a vacuous "we can't prove it isn't true" you would need evidence for it.

In order to discuss probability you need a way to rate the various possible options and that would require at least a detailed definition of what this force is and how it operates.

In short, there is no way to discuss possibility or probability given what we currently know.

Quote:And yes, I do feel like I am at least putting forth some effort towards understanding and unity with hopes of betterment of existence for future generations through worldwide peace. I think I am supposed to be here to some extent. Not necessarily to help others, but perhaps to strengthen my own resolve and/ or test it.

That is all pure, unadulterated woo. The goal you espouse may be worthwhile but you provide nothing at all of substance to explain how it can be achieved. Saying you are "supposed to be here" is meaningless without defining what arranged that and how you can demonstrate the truth of the claim.

Quote:I think that individuals with a rational, logical, mindset that can also understand that there is at least a dormant possibility for inherent good in man could be quite a commodity to bringing about unity and prosperity.

You have not yet demonstrated that you have a rational or logical mindset. In fact, the general impression is that you are mired in delusional thinking.

Quote:That's a start anyway.

It really isn't.
Of course you can rationally speak of possibilities without evidence. All scientific theory is just that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2016, 08:40 AM
(10-02-2016 08:38 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Of course you can rationally speak of possibilities without evidence. All scientific theory is just that.

Hah. You're not in a position to say anything about what scientific theory is or isn't. Read a fucking book, Pop-Tart.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-02-2016, 08:47 AM
(10-02-2016 08:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 08:38 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Of course you can rationally speak of possibilities without evidence. All scientific theory is just that.

Hah. You're not in a position to say anything about what scientific theory is or isn't. Read a fucking book, Pop-Tart.
Don't get offended. The truth can hurt. What makes you think I am unworthy of speaking of scientific theories? Who are you to claim such about me? How are you better than me? I may not have years of college education under my belt, but do understand science and the limits of it, including the fact that it is all pretty much good guesses, except for the few actual scientific laws.
10-02-2016, 08:48 AM

No, it isn't. Theories are explanations of the evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2016, 08:50 AM
(10-02-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 08:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hah. You're not in a position to say anything about what scientific theory is or isn't. Read a fucking book, Pop-Tart.
Don't get offended. The truth can hurt. What makes you think I am unworthy of speaking of scientific theories? Who are you to claim such about me? How are you better than me? I may not have years of college education under my belt, but do understand science and the limits of it, including the fact that it is all pretty much good guesses, except for the few actual scientific laws.

That demonstrates that you do not understand science. It is all about the evidence, not guesses.
You seem to be confusing it with religion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
10-02-2016, 09:03 AM
An accurate definition of "scientific theory":

Wiki Definition
Quote:A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation. As with most (if not all) forms of scientific knowledge, scientific theories are inductive in nature[citation needed] and aim for predictive power and explanatory capability.

The strength of a scientific theory is related to the diversity of phenomena it can explain, and to its elegance and simplicity. See Occam's razor. As additional scientific evidence is gathered, a scientific theory may be rejected or modified if it does not fit the new empirical findings; in such circumstances, a more accurate theory is then desired. In certain cases, the less-accurate unmodified scientific theory can still be treated as a theory if it is useful (due to its sheer simplicity) as an approximation under specific conditions (e.g., Newton's laws of motion as an approximation to special relativity at velocities which are small relative to the speed of light).

Scientific theories are usually testable and make falsifiable predictions. They describe the causal elements responsible for a particular natural phenomenon, and are used to explain and predict aspects of the physical universe or specific areas of inquiry (e.g., electricity, chemistry, astronomy). Scientists use theories as a foundation to gain further scientific knowledge, as well as to accomplish goals such as inventing technology or curing disease. Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess (i.e., unsubstantiated and speculative).

To highlight a very, very, very important point:
This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess (i.e., unsubstantiated and speculative).

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
10-02-2016, 09:06 AM
(10-02-2016 08:37 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 07:40 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Rational and logical? Yet you readily admit that you were convinced of your God by something that you can't show to us to be rational or logical.
That doesn't mean I threw out rational thought or logic though.

What it does mean is that you do not employ logic or rational thought when it comes to your supernatural beliefs.

Then why are you saying you came here to discuss possibility when you have no evidence to offer? You need to go to a theistic forum where they accept unsubstantiated claims without questioning them.

(10-02-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  What makes you think I am unworthy of speaking of scientific theories?

Your characterization of scientific theories as "good guesses" means that you either do not understand what they are or are incapable of conveying your meaning in a way that others can understand.

Quote:Who are you to claim such about me? How are you better than me? I may not have years of college education under my belt,

Nobody said they were better than you and your educational level isn't the problem. Your repeated mischaracterization of science and unsubstantiated woo claims are the problem. Plenty of uneducated people are very rational and plenty of educated people are not. Using evidence to support your claims and backing off claims that are shown to be unsupported is what will get respect around here.

Quote: but do understand science and the limits of it, including the fact that it is all pretty much good guesses, except for the few actual scientific laws.

That statement is completely self-refuting. I doubt anything could more clearly demonstrate that you do not understand how science works.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
10-02-2016, 09:07 AM
double post deleted

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
10-02-2016, 09:27 AM
(10-02-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 08:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hah. You're not in a position to say anything about what scientific theory is or isn't. Read a fucking book, Pop-Tart.

I know that you're a dumbass. And you don't know shit about science. Offense? No. Just irritation.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-02-2016, 09:45 AM
(10-02-2016 09:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Don't get offended. The truth can hurt. What makes you think I am unworthy of speaking of scientific theories? Who are you to claim such about me? How are you better than me? I may not have years of college education under my belt, but do understand science and the limits of it, including the fact that it is all pretty much good guesses, except for the few actual scientific laws.

I know that you're a dumbass. And you don't know shit about science. Offense? No. Just irritation.
Then prove it.