Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2016, 11:04 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(10-02-2016 11:01 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 10:55 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I have faith in your abilities to multitask. Thumbsup
Cute, but someone with low cognitive capacities wouldn't even catch that, nor would they be able to be crazy so much as just slow.

I'm still waiting for anyone to show that I am indeed dumb(not ignorant) and/ or psychotic.

Different, yeah.

Lacking a "higher education", sure.

Those things don't equate to y'all's claims though.

What happened to your whole agenda for unity and peace? Why did that stop. I thought you were so on pace with the "right" and "good" ways of existing in the world, nay Universe I should say.

Remember it's so evil to give into this negativity and being so not connected. Because as you well know, everything in the universe is dichomatic and if it's not Good it's evil.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2016, 11:05 AM
(08-02-2016 02:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2016 01:14 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Have you allowed for relationship in your thesis? I have a relationship with God that brings Him to my thoughts and considerations--although sometimes like Descartes I will try to think as though I'm an atheist or some cultist rather than be presuppositional.

You imagine you have a relationship. I doubt you are capable of thinking like an atheist.

Quote:I could think like I don't have a relationship with my spouse, and that would color my thoughts and practice on adultery. Being presuppositional is a hallmark of faithfulness in some ways, and a long walk with God, the King.

Being presuppositional is is a hallmark of lazy thinking and ignorance.

Yes, and in context (as you likely already realize) I'm aware of my presuppositional ideas and try to work around them as I wrote!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2016, 11:05 AM
(10-02-2016 11:04 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 11:01 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Cute, but someone with low cognitive capacities wouldn't even catch that, nor would they be able to be crazy so much as just slow.

I'm still waiting for anyone to show that I am indeed dumb(not ignorant) and/ or psychotic.

Different, yeah.

What happened to your whole agenda for unity and peace? Why did that stop. I thought you were so on pace with the "right" and "good" ways of existing in the world, nay Universe I should say.

Remember it's so evil to give into this negativity and being so not connected. Because as you well know, everything in the universe is dichomatic and if it's not Good it's evil.
My agenda stands.
10-02-2016, 11:06 AM
(10-02-2016 11:05 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 11:04 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What happened to your whole agenda for unity and peace? Why did that stop. I thought you were so on pace with the "right" and "good" ways of existing in the world, nay Universe I should say.

My agenda stands.

Where? I don't see it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-02-2016, 11:20 AM
(10-02-2016 11:06 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 11:05 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  My agenda stands.

Where? I don't see it.
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about my signature or my continued effort?

The sig seemed to be doing more harm than good on this particular sight.

My resolve and purpose remain the same.

I truly believe all are of equal worth and that all can come together peaceably which will cause prosperity and advancement on all levels, including scientific advancement. The division that plagues humanity is crippling to its general well being, and greed causes it.

Nothing has changed for me in that respect.

If I missed your point then I apologize. Please attempt to state it differently if that indeed is the case.

With humility,
Peace
10-02-2016, 11:22 AM
(10-02-2016 11:01 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 10:55 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I have faith in your abilities to multitask. Thumbsup
Cute, but someone with low cognitive capacities wouldn't even catch that, nor would they be able to be crazy so much as just slow.

Different, yeah.

I am making no claims to your level of education, intelligence or calling names. However your posts indicate failure to understand the basic definitions of scientific theory, scientific laws and how they are used. Since you asked for evidence, I offer the following:

I posted a link to an accurate definition of scientific theory above. The following post is false:
(10-02-2016 08:38 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Of course you can rationally speak of possibilities without evidence. All scientific theory is just that.
While it is possible to discuss possibilities, rationally, scientific theory is not about possibilities. It is about evidence and facts.

You do not need years of college education to discuss science. No one has claimed you do. However science is not about good guesses. A good guess may have started the process, but there are facts and evidence that invalidate the term "guess". The term "scientific law" is also used incorrectly. You are implying that a law is unbreakable or incontrovertible, and thus theories are less valid than laws. Scientific laws can be used as part of a theory.
(10-02-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I may not have years of college education under my belt, but do understand science and the limits of it, including the fact that it is all pretty much good guesses, except for the few actual scientific laws.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I am not calling you anything. However if you do have an understanding of science and the definitions we are discussing, you are not indicating that in your posts.
(10-02-2016 09:55 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  If I am a moron that can't grasp science then you should be able to show that here and now.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
10-02-2016, 11:25 AM
(09-02-2016 09:22 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I think I am supposed to be here to some extent.

The more I think about it, the more I find that to be one of the most terrifying aspects of religious thought. He doesn't know why he's here but feels a compulsion of some kind to continue and he lets that control his activities. It's a completely alien mindset from my perspective and what frightens me most about True Believers™.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
10-02-2016, 11:31 AM
(10-02-2016 11:25 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 09:22 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I think I am supposed to be here to some extent.

The more I think about it, the more I find that to be one of the most terrifying aspects of religious thought. He doesn't know why he's here but feels a compulsion of some kind to continue and he lets that control his activities. It's a completely alien mindset from my perspective and what frightens me most about True Believers™.
I didn't say that I knew not why I was here. That would worry me too.
10-02-2016, 11:37 AM
(10-02-2016 11:22 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 11:01 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Cute, but someone with low cognitive capacities wouldn't even catch that, nor would they be able to be crazy so much as just slow.

Different, yeah.

I am making no claims to your level of education, intelligence or calling names. However your posts indicate failure to understand the basic definitions of scientific theory, scientific laws and how they are used. Since you asked for evidence, I offer the following:

I posted a link to an accurate definition of scientific theory above. The following post is false:
(10-02-2016 08:38 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Of course you can rationally speak of possibilities without evidence. All scientific theory is just that.
While it is possible to discuss possibilities, rationally, scientific theory is not about possibilities. It is about evidence and facts.

You do not need years of college education to discuss science. No one has claimed you do. However science is not about good guesses. A good guess may have started the process, but there are facts and evidence that invalidate the term "guess". The term "scientific law" is also used incorrectly. You are implying that a law is unbreakable or incontrovertible, and thus theories are less valid than laws. Scientific laws can be used as part of a theory.
(10-02-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I may not have years of college education under my belt, but do understand science and the limits of it, including the fact that it is all pretty much good guesses, except for the few actual scientific laws.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I am not calling you anything. However if you do have an understanding of science and the definitions we are discussing, you are not indicating that in your posts.
(10-02-2016 09:55 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  If I am a moron that can't grasp science then you should be able to show that here and now.
Thank you for leveling with me. I understand that scientific theory are based on observation and evidence and natural laws to some extent. But they are still theories and by definition are not factual. A theory can stem from fact yet not be true itself as has been shown ever since we started using the scientific method. I suppose I did imply that scientific theory is just a guess but it is an educated one based on repeatable observation and outcome.
10-02-2016, 11:39 AM
(10-02-2016 11:31 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 11:25 AM)unfogged Wrote:  The more I think about it, the more I find that to be one of the most terrifying aspects of religious thought. He doesn't know why he's here but feels a compulsion of some kind to continue and he lets that control his activities. It's a completely alien mindset from my perspective and what frightens me most about True Believers™.
I didn't say that I knew not why I was here. That would worry me too.

Facepalm

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP