Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2016, 11:44 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(10-02-2016 11:37 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I understand that scientific theory are based on observation and evidence and natural laws to some extent. But they are still theories and by definition are not factual.

Facepalm

Quote:A theory can stem from fact yet not be true itself as has been shown ever since we started using the scientific method.

Facepalm

Quote:I suppose I did imply that scientific theory is just a guess but it is an educated one based on repeatable observation and outcome.

You did not imply it, you stated it directly. Your rewording here is hardly any better. A scientific theory can not reasonably be called a guess, even an educated guess, except by somebody trying to denigrate science and promote irrational woo. That might apply to a hypothesis but even there it falls far short of the mark. You do not understand how science works and every post you make on the subject shows that clearly.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
10-02-2016, 11:51 AM
(10-02-2016 11:44 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 11:37 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I understand that scientific theory are based on observation and evidence and natural laws to some extent. But they are still theories and by definition are not factual.

Facepalm

Quote:A theory can stem from fact yet not be true itself as has been shown ever since we started using the scientific method.

Facepalm

Quote:I suppose I did imply that scientific theory is just a guess but it is an educated one based on repeatable observation and outcome.

You did not imply it, you stated it directly. Your rewording here is hardly any better. A scientific theory can not reasonably be called a guess, even an educated guess, except by somebody trying to denigrate science and promote irrational woo. That might apply to a hypothesis but even there it falls far short of the mark. You do not understand how science works and every post you make on the subject shows that clearly.
the·o·ry

ˈTHēərē/

noun

a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.

"Darwin's theory of evolution"

synonyms:hypothesis, thesis,conjecture,supposition,speculation,postulation, postulate,proposition, premise,surmise, assumption,presupposition;

opinion, view, belief,contention

"I reckon that confirms my theory"

principles, ideas,concepts;

philosophy, ideology,system of ideas,science

"modern economic theory"

a set of principles on which the practice of an activity is based.

"a theory of education"

an idea used to account for a situation or justify a course of action.

"my theory would be that the place has been seriously mismanaged"

Your bias is showing.
10-02-2016, 12:26 PM
(10-02-2016 11:51 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 11:44 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Facepalm

Facepalm

the·o·ry

ˈTHēərē/

noun

a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.

synonyms:hypothesis, thesis,conjecture,supposition,speculation,postulation, postulate,proposition, premise,surmise, assumption,presupposition;

"modern economic theory"

"a theory of education"

Your bias is showing.

Wikipedia Wrote:A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation. As with most (if not all) forms of scientific knowledge, scientific theories are inductive in nature and aim for predictive power and explanatory capability.

The strength of a scientific theory is related to the diversity of phenomena it can explain, and to its elegance and simplicity.

Your ignorance is showing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
10-02-2016, 12:28 PM
(10-02-2016 11:51 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 11:44 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Facepalm

Facepalm

the·o·ry

ˈTHēərē/

noun

"modern economic theory"

"a theory of education"

Your bias is showing.

Which line explains a "scientific theory" can you declare that one mr. elegant good seeker? Dictionary websites may not be the most efficient at every task imaginable when you're talking about the range of concepts accepted in a field. It may actually take someone being able to explain something because despite this lure and godly approach some people give dictionary. They explain the usage of words not determine it.

And I was talking about your actual attitude and motivation before. You can say OH I'm all about X, but your behavior has just dropped that completely. Your actions don't reflect a tinge of that agenda any longer despite you saying you stick to it once someone else brings it back up.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
10-02-2016, 12:57 PM
(10-02-2016 11:51 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  the·o·ry

e-quiv-o-ca-tion
noun
1. the use of equivocal or ambiguous expressions, especially in order to mislead or hedge; prevarication.
2. an equivocal, ambiguous expression; equivoque: The speech was marked by elaborate equivocations.
3. Logic. a fallacy caused by the double meaning of a word.

Quote:Your bias is showing.

Laugh out load

[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
10-02-2016, 02:00 PM
(10-02-2016 12:57 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 11:51 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  the·o·ry

e-quiv-o-ca-tion
noun
1. the use of equivocal or ambiguous expressions, especially in order to mislead or hedge; prevarication.
2. an equivocal, ambiguous expression; equivoque: The speech was marked by elaborate equivocations.

Quote:Your bias is showing.

Laugh out load
All I did was post the definition of theory since some seem to be confused as to what it is.
10-02-2016, 02:14 PM
(10-02-2016 02:00 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 12:57 PM)unfogged Wrote:  e-quiv-o-ca-tion
noun

Laugh out load
All I did was post the definition of theory since some seem to be confused as to what it is.

The only person showing confusion is you. Your definition is irrelevant when we are using the modifier 'scientific' to identify what we are talking about and yet you continue to equivocate on the word. You only served to confirm the idea that you do not understand what science is.

[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
10-02-2016, 02:35 PM
(10-02-2016 02:00 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  All I did was post the definition of theory since some seem to be confused as to what it is.

The definition you quoted is the colloquial definition and is extremely different from the definition of scientific theory that myself and others posted.

Are you honestly saying that you do not understand this?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
10-02-2016, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2016 03:09 PM by popsthebuilder.)
(10-02-2016 02:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(10-02-2016 02:00 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  All I did was post the definition of theory since some seem to be confused as to what it is.

The only person showing confusion is you. Your definition is irrelevant when we are using the modifier 'scientific' to identify what we are talking about and yet you continue to equivocate on the word. You only served to confirm the idea that you do not understand what science is.
Scientific theory is based on testable repeatable observation. That's the science part. It is still a theory. Which of you had repeatedly stated that there is no scientific fact? It is theory. Good theories surely, backed up by testable repeatable observation, yet still theory.
And generally proven wrong over time through better understanding and new findings.
10-02-2016, 03:11 PM
By the way; if I'm equivacating or whatever then why is the THEORY of evolution given as an example?
I actually believe in evolution, and there is some evidence for it...but it's still a theory.

How do people not get that?

Rhetorical