Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2016, 05:49 PM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(02-02-2016 01:52 PM)enochian Wrote:  Atheists should join with polytheists, as both are against a notion of a Creator.

How many gods do you claim to exist ?

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2016, 06:03 PM
(02-02-2016 04:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 10:45 AM)mgoering Wrote:  That's my reason for being here. I wondered why others would visit this site daily. Especially Christians or other theists. What do you get out of it? Are you here to proselytize, to evangelize or to save souls? Do you have your own doubts and are looking for answers? Are you here to defend God, Jesus, Mohammad, Allah, Joseph Smth, et al against attacks by faithless cretins?

I came here because I’m embarking on a path that I believe will bring me very close to people who are atheists. I am a fairly religious person, so I wondered how I might be received by them. I basically joined to find out for myself what atheists (specifically atheists who are not from my culture) are like first hand.

No, I’m not here to proselytize. Fortunately, my religion doesn’t believe that any souls are in danger, so there is no need for me to launch a crusade. While I’m here, though, I find that I enjoy presenting the Jewish position as it has been taught to me. Not to convince, but just to participate in interesting conversations and hopefully be informative.

When I came here, I really only planned to stay for a few weeks (tops!)… But I’m still not ready to go. I kind of like you guys. Smile

Even though we have different lifestyles and outlooks, I still find that we have shared goals. –That is to say that at least some of our goals overlap. Some do not, but very few are truly at odds.

I have found you to be delightful to have around. Your religion and my (our) lack of religious faith doesn't really come into play. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-02-2016, 06:07 PM
(02-02-2016 05:49 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 01:52 PM)enochian Wrote:  Atheists should join with polytheists, as both are against a notion of a Creator.

Latest estimate is 7,399,200,571.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-02-2016, 06:16 PM
They come here because we know how to throw a REAL party!

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
02-02-2016, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 06:32 PM by enochian.)
(02-02-2016 05:49 PM)Leo Wrote:  

Your signature makes no grammatical sense at all:

"The winner of the last person to post wins thread".
02-02-2016, 06:33 PM
(02-02-2016 06:24 PM)enochian Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 05:49 PM)Leo Wrote:  How many gods do you claim to exist ?

This makes no grammatical sense at all:

"The winner of the last person to post wins thread".

With clarifying punctuation it does:

The winner of "The last person to post wins" thread.

He is declaring himself the winner of that thread.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-02-2016, 07:03 PM
(02-02-2016 04:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 04:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I came here because I’m embarking on a path that I believe will bring me very close to people who are atheists. I am a fairly religious person, so I wondered how I might be received by them. I basically joined to find out for myself what atheists (specifically atheists who are not from my culture) are like first hand.

I don't know that you've made it entirely clear what your culture is. Consider
Maybe I just missed it. Are you American? Israeli? Other?

I'm American. I was raised secular (by religiously disinterested parents), but very culturally Jewish. Ashkenazi Jewish to be specific.

(02-02-2016 04:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 04:18 PM)Aliza Wrote:  When I came here, I really only planned to stay for a few weeks (tops!)… But I’m still not ready to go. I kind of like you guys. Smile

That's because you have an evil, dark side that is naturally attracted to the baby-eating heathen. Yes

That is more true that you may realize. Yes Having been raised secular, I have difficulty really connecting with a very religious crowd. My track record with the people I choose to associate with also clearly reflects my preference for secular companions. This is probably why I like being on this forum, in spite of the theological differences.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
02-02-2016, 09:01 PM
I could see curiosity being a driving force behind a theist coming here. A theist can relate to other theists of other religions like football fans relate to other fans of other teams.

But the idea of someone lacking a belief of any religion, must drive them up the wall.

Their delusion is so strong, it feels real to them.
So in their eyes, we are denying an element of reality.

Fortunately for us, reality is not an opinion.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
02-02-2016, 09:17 PM
(02-02-2016 09:01 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I could see curiosity being a driving force behind a theist coming here. A theist can relate to other theists of other religions like football fans relate to other fans of other teams.

But the idea of someone lacking a belief of any religion, must drive them up the wall.

I cannot relate to other theists. There is no camaraderie among us, and it's not like we're getting together and holding secret theist meetings where we plot out how to convert you all. Tongue

... Or maybe I'm just not invited to such events. Dodgy
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
02-02-2016, 09:53 PM
(02-02-2016 09:17 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 09:01 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I could see curiosity being a driving force behind a theist coming here. A theist can relate to other theists of other religions like football fans relate to other fans of other teams.

I cannot relate to other theists. There is no camaraderie among us, and it's not like we're getting together and holding secret theist meetings where we plot out how to convert you all. Tongue

... Or maybe I'm just not invited to such events. Dodgy

You aren't invited because (according to the Evangelical theists I grew up with) you're bound for HELL. Evil_monster Along with the Catholics and almost everybody else.

I've been to those meetings, and they're really boring and quite corporate. Sales training in the trolling-for-souls biz.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post