Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 08:30 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(12-02-2016 07:31 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  If black absorbs all color and remains black, and white is all color then they both contain all color

You're mixing terms between light and pigment.

Black pigments absorb all colors and contain all. Black light has no light or color. White pigments reflect all colors and contain none. White light contains all colors.

Also, it's kind of hard to describe these things as "all colors" in a way that makes any kind of sense, because color wheels are always drawn 2D and show the same lightness level. To accurately measure color, you need to do it with three variables (whether you're using RGB, LAB, LCH, or other measurement systems).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2016, 11:12 AM
(11-02-2016 01:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 01:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Correct, inductive observation leads to scientific law. So is the law of conservation of matter and energy inviolate? This is a rhetorical question because mainstream science rejects steady state theory and overwhelmingly accepts big bang cosmology instead.

That is irrelevant. Mass-energy conservation is a principle derived under observable conditions. The big bang is the limit of observation. No scientific theory makes any statements about anything beyond observable conditions. Only your special pleading can do that.

(11-02-2016 01:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Matter and energy were created in the Big Bang OR existed in a pre-incarnate (pun intended) form inside the singularity of the Big Bang.

Hey, just like that special pleading right there!

(11-02-2016 01:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The logical deductive conclusion: Matter and energy are eternal or an outside catalyst created them in the early moments of the universe. Which would you postulate is the correct choice and why?

And that is a transparently false choice, either borne of your ignorance or tailored to fit your presuppositions - or both, I guess.
(but nice job contradicting yourself from literally two sentences ago: "in the big bang" and "in the early moments of the universe" are completely different statements)

It is not special pleading to point to the two correct alternatives. Pick one.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2016, 11:14 AM
(11-02-2016 01:38 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 01:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Correct, inductive observation leads to scientific law. So is the law of conservation of matter and energy inviolate? This is a rhetorical question because mainstream science rejects steady state theory and overwhelmingly accepts big bang cosmology instead. Matter and energy were created in the Big Bang OR existed in a pre-incarnate (pun intended) form inside the singularity of the Big Bang.

The logical deductive conclusion: Matter and energy are eternal or an outside catalyst created them in the early moments of the universe. Which would you postulate is the correct choice and why?

Where did you deduce this "OUTSIDE" from?

Your choices are:

1. An outside catalyst

2. An inside catalyst

If it was an inside catalyst within the Big Bang singularity, the equilibrium was disturbed creating--matter and energy.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
12-02-2016, 11:17 AM
(12-02-2016 11:14 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 01:38 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Where did you deduce this "OUTSIDE" from?

Your choices are:

1. An outside catalyst

2. An inside catalyst

If it was an inside catalyst within the Big Bang singularity, the equilibrium was disturbed creating--matter and energy.

3. No catalyst - no singularity - no Big Bang.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-02-2016, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 11:24 AM by ClydeLee.)
(12-02-2016 11:14 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 01:38 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Where did you deduce this "OUTSIDE" from?

Your choices are:

1. An outside catalyst

2. An inside catalyst

Simply a false dichotomy That in no way answers where this concept of "outside" came from... You don't have these 2 choices because you're presupposing this concept before you deduce there is a possible concept of it existing. What is outside & where is outside; how is it contrasted?

It's not special pleading to "point" to just 2 possibilities. It's just ignorance to assume that is the scenario that you have. It's forcing the conclusion and not actually deducing the information to a conclusion. You're proclaiming they're "correct alternatives" without a mode of understanding why you think that is the way it is.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
12-02-2016, 12:30 PM
(12-02-2016 07:31 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 07:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Except they are totally different, *pretty much*. Facepalm
If black absorbs all color and remains black, and white is all color then they both contain all color

Black absorbs the color (the photons of SPECIFIC energy levels) that is present, not necessarily "all" levels. As I said, ignoramus, you do not understand light, or the spectrum, or energy, or anything else for that matter.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-02-2016, 12:50 PM
(12-02-2016 11:12 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It is not special pleading to point to the two correct alternatives. Pick one.

Street level common fallcy, Fundie theists make, all the time
Fallacy of the "excluded middle" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma )
You have in no way demonstrated the choices are limited to those two. Logic is necessary, but not sufficient, and in that you are also committing the fallacy of the false analogy. The ultimate nature of Reality has been proven to be non-intuitive, (Relativity, Uncertainty, math (tensors) of Dirac. You have no EVIDENCE for any of your "ultimate claims". They are meaningless drivel, based on unsupported (and in your case, unrecognized) assumptions.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-02-2016, 02:21 PM
(12-02-2016 12:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 07:31 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  If black absorbs all color and remains black, and white is all color then they both contain all color

Black absorbs the color (the photons of SPECIFIC energy levels) that is present, not necessarily "all" levels. As I said, ignoramus, you do not understand light, or the spectrum, or energy, or anything else for that matter.
You can specifics to what I was talking about, but that changes the topic. I was talking about color with no other parameters whatsoever. That's one of the problems with a linear mindset. You tend to divide things when it isn't needed. I was just talking about color, that's it, no specifics or limiting factors, or criteria. Can you even grasp that?
12-02-2016, 02:29 PM
(12-02-2016 02:21 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 12:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Black absorbs the color (the photons of SPECIFIC energy levels) that is present, not necessarily "all" levels. As I said, ignoramus, you do not understand light, or the spectrum, or energy, or anything else for that matter.
You can specifics to what I was talking about, but that changes the topic. I was talking about color with no other parameters whatsoever. That's one of the problems with a linear mindset. You tend to divide things when it isn't needed. I was just talking about color, that's it, no specifics or limiting factors, or criteria. Can you even grasp that?

As opposed to conflating things with a superficial similarity but very different underlying causes. If you don't examine the differences you haven't understood all aspects and end up promulgating misconceptions.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
12-02-2016, 02:31 PM
(12-02-2016 02:21 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 12:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Black absorbs the color (the photons of SPECIFIC energy levels) that is present, not necessarily "all" levels. As I said, ignoramus, you do not understand light, or the spectrum, or energy, or anything else for that matter.

You are talking nonsense. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]