Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 03:08 PM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(12-02-2016 02:29 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 02:21 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You can specifics to what I was talking about, but that changes the topic. I was talking about color with no other parameters whatsoever. That's one of the problems with a linear mindset. You tend to divide things when it isn't needed. I was just talking about color, that's it, no specifics or limiting factors, or criteria. Can you even grasp that?

As opposed to conflating things with a superficial similarity but very different underlying causes. If you don't examine the differences you haven't understood all aspects and end up promulgating misconceptions.

He seems to have done that with his religious kludge he invented as well.

Noticing a pattern here.......

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
12-02-2016, 03:09 PM
(12-02-2016 03:08 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 02:29 PM)unfogged Wrote:  As opposed to conflating things with a superficial similarity but very different underlying causes. If you don't examine the differences you haven't understood all aspects and end up promulgating misconceptions.

He seems to have done that with his religious kludge he invented as well.

Noticing a pattern here.......

Yes, there is definitely a pattern of very superficial thinking.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
12-02-2016, 03:14 PM
(12-02-2016 02:21 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 12:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Black absorbs the color (the photons of SPECIFIC energy levels) that is present, not necessarily "all" levels. As I said, ignoramus, you do not understand light, or the spectrum, or energy, or anything else for that matter.
You can specifics to what I was talking about, but that changes the topic. I was talking about color with no other parameters whatsoever. That's one of the problems with a linear mindset. You tend to divide things when it isn't needed. I was just talking about color, that's it, no specifics or limiting factors, or criteria. Can you even grasp that?

The topic is "Why do theists come to this forum?" not "How does Pops believe that color works?"
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
12-02-2016, 03:18 PM
(12-02-2016 12:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Black absorbs the color (the photons of SPECIFIC energy levels) that is present, not necessarily "all" levels. As I said, ignoramus, you do not understand light, or the spectrum, or energy, or anything else for that matter.
I was talking about color with no other parameters whatsoever.

You have to define what "color" you are talking about.

All the colors of light add together to make white light. The absence of light = black.

All the colors of pigment add together to make black pigment. The absence of pigment = white.

Big difference.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
12-02-2016, 03:22 PM
You can specifics to what I was talking about, but that changes the topic. I was talking about color with no other parameters whatsoever. That's one of the problems with a linear mindset. You tend to divide things when it isn't needed. I was just talking about color, that's it, no specifics or limiting factors, or criteria. Can you even grasp that?

Quote:Divide things when it's not needed inconvenient to pops.
Fixed that for you.

Actually, pops, you have that exactly backwards. A "linear" mindset in this instance would recognize "one" line of argument. I have pointed out the complexities in the matter of which you were unaware. In fact, you're "only talking about color" is what's linnear. It's all totally irrelevant anyway, other to to demonstrate yet again, you have neither general nor speific knowledge in any relevant subject, (even though you pretend to be able to speak to subjects you know nothing about). But apparently you're good for entertainment value .... like a dancing bear. So, by all means, keep it up. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-02-2016, 03:24 PM
(12-02-2016 03:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 02:21 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You can specifics to what I was talking about, but that changes the topic. I was talking about color with no other parameters whatsoever. That's one of the problems with a linear mindset. You tend to divide things when it isn't needed. I was just talking about color, that's it, no specifics or limiting factors, or criteria. Can you even grasp that?

Actually, pops, you have that exactly backwards. A "linear" mindset in this instance would recognize "one" line of argument. I have pointed out the complexities in the matter of which you were unaware. In fact, you're "only talking about color" is what's linnear. It's all totally irrelevant anyway, other to to demonstrate yet again, you have neither general nor speific knowledge in any relevant subject, (even though you pretend to be able to speak to subjects you know nothing about). But apparently you're good for entertainment value .... like a dancing bear. So, by all means, keep it up. Angel
Whatever buddy
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post
12-02-2016, 04:54 PM
I was posting here because I was having a mental breakdown. I did not understand why everyone was denying the apparent obvious truth. Well, now I understand; it does not identify a particular instance of a monotheistic deity. It only identifies a perfect being, of which it would be pointless to talk about; I don't see a way to obtain information about a truly perfect being.

Truth seeker.
[+] 1 user Likes diddo97's post
12-02-2016, 05:01 PM
(12-02-2016 04:54 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I was posting here because I was having a mental breakdown. I did not understand why everyone was denying the apparent obvious truth. Well, now I understand; it does not identify a particular instance of a monotheistic deity. It only identifies a perfect being, of which it would be pointless to talk about; I don't see a way to obtain information about a truly perfect being.

"Perfect" requires a context. Laplace and others have considered what a perfect being would be like in the context of a deterministic universe. Curiously Laplace called it a demon.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-02-2016, 05:02 PM
(12-02-2016 04:54 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I was posting here because I was having a mental breakdown. I did not understand why everyone was denying the apparent obvious truth. Well, now I understand; it does not identify a particular instance of a monotheistic deity. It only identifies a perfect being, of which it would be pointless to talk about; I don't see a way to obtain information about a truly perfect being.

I would be interested to hear more about this.
How did this come about? Did you seek help? What kind? Are you now on medication?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2016, 05:03 PM
(12-02-2016 05:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

"Perfect" requires a context. Laplace and others have considered what a perfect being would be like in the context of a deterministic universe. Curiously Laplace called it a demon.

Why would a perfect being be bound by the rules of the observable universe?

Truth seeker.