Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 05:06 PM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(12-02-2016 05:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:54 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I was posting here because I was having a mental breakdown. I did not understand why everyone was denying the apparent obvious truth. Well, now I understand; it does not identify a particular instance of a monotheistic deity. It only identifies a perfect being, of which it would be pointless to talk about; I don't see a way to obtain information about a truly perfect being.

I would be interested to hear more about this.
How did this come about? Did you seek help? What kind? Are you now on medication?

I am on medication, that may be helping, I don't know. The problem with Sye Ten is that his argument does not lead to the Bible, it leads to a fully transcendent being, of which Yahweh certainly isn't.

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2016, 05:10 PM
(12-02-2016 05:06 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 05:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  I would be interested to hear more about this.
How did this come about? Did you seek help? What kind? Are you now on medication?

I am on medication, that may be helping, I don't know. The problem with Sye Ten is that his argument does not lead to the Bible, it leads to a fully transcendent being, of which Yahweh certainly isn't.

Good for you for seeking help.

Maybe we can start over again and learn more about you. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-02-2016, 05:10 PM
(12-02-2016 05:06 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 05:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  I would be interested to hear more about this.

I am on medication, that may be helping, I don't know.

It appears to be helping. Yes

Quote:The problem with Sye Ten is that his argument does not lead to the Bible, it leads to a fully transcendent being, of which Yahweh certainly isn't.

Yeah, he jumps to an unjustified conclusion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2016, 05:21 PM
(12-02-2016 05:03 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 05:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Perfect" requires a context. Laplace and others have considered what a perfect being would be like in the context of a deterministic universe. Curiously Laplace called it a demon.

Why would a perfect being be bound by the rules of the observable universe?

Because that's the context "perfect" is being applied to. And Laplace's demon only considers classical physics. It is as feckless as the rest of us when it comes to quantum physics.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-02-2016, 05:23 PM
(12-02-2016 05:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 05:03 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Why would a perfect being be bound by the rules of the observable universe?

Because that's the context "perfect" is being applied to. And Laplace's demon only considers classical physics. It is as feckless as the rest of us when it comes to quantum physics.

"Feckless Demon" - great band name. Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-02-2016, 05:25 PM
(12-02-2016 11:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 11:14 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Your choices are:

1. An outside catalyst

2. An inside catalyst

If it was an inside catalyst within the Big Bang singularity, the equilibrium was disturbed creating--matter and energy.

3. No catalyst - no singularity - no Big Bang.

4. Another explanation we haven't thought of yet.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
12-02-2016, 05:29 PM
(12-02-2016 05:25 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 11:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  3. No catalyst - no singularity - no Big Bang.

4. Another explanation we haven't thought of yet.

Yabut, Qless does love his false, simple-minded dichotomies.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-02-2016, 05:31 PM
(12-02-2016 02:21 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 12:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Black absorbs the color (the photons of SPECIFIC energy levels) that is present, not necessarily "all" levels. As I said, ignoramus, you do not understand light, or the spectrum, or energy, or anything else for that matter.
You can specifics to what I was talking about, but that changes the topic. I was talking about color with no other parameters whatsoever. That's one of the problems with a linear mindset. You tend to divide things when it isn't needed. I was just talking about color, that's it, no specifics or limiting factors, or criteria. Can you even grasp that?

[Image: FSo2o.gif.cf.gif]

Goddammit!!!!! You seriously cannot be this dense and not be a troll.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
12-02-2016, 05:33 PM
(12-02-2016 05:03 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 05:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Perfect" requires a context. Laplace and others have considered what a perfect being would be like in the context of a deterministic universe. Curiously Laplace called it a demon.

Why would a perfect being be bound by the rules of the observable universe?

There is no (possible) agreed upon definition of "perfection" or a "perfect being".
If there were a standard of perfection, that standard in itself, would be external to the being ... therefore the origins and establishment of the standard have to be explained. It's all a meanignless, impossible waste of time.
(It's also one of the problems with Aquinas' and Anselm's arguemnts).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-02-2016, 05:33 PM
(12-02-2016 05:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 05:25 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  4. Another explanation we haven't thought of yet.

Yabut, Qless does love his false, simple-minded dichotomies.

Dichotomy with a pinch of ignorance and a healthy dash of special pleading.

- Paul Dirac