Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 07:33 PM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(12-02-2016 07:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 06:24 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Are you suggesting that all holy books have some truth to them, or just the Bible?
Most definitely all ancient core scriptures and even some that aren't exactly ancient have truth within their pages. All I have read All speak of the same thing; just in separate ways due to individual culture and time.

Peace

I guess I didn't formulate my question properly. Do you consider the Bible as being "special", or above the other religious texts?

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2016, 08:11 PM
(12-02-2016 07:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 06:24 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Are you suggesting that all holy books have some truth to them, or just the Bible?
Most definitely all ancient core scriptures and even some that aren't exactly ancient have truth within their pages. All I have read All speak of the same thing; just in separate ways due to individual culture and time.

Peace

Ya mean, like killing those who aren't members of the tribe ? Those "truths" ?
You have an external standard by which you cherry-pick your truths.
You never told us where you got that standard.

And Diddo, who told you, and by what process did you decide a perfect being was "ineffable" ? Who said that was perfection ? By what standard is that "perfect". Why is not the opposite "perfection" ? All you've done is asserted something, with NO support.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-02-2016, 08:28 PM
(12-02-2016 07:33 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 07:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Most definitely all ancient core scriptures and even some that aren't exactly ancient have truth within their pages. All I have read All speak of the same thing; just in separate ways due to individual culture and time.

Peace

I guess I didn't formulate my question properly. Do you consider the Bible as being "special", or above the other religious texts?
The bible is special, yes. I think all core scripture of an ultimately peaceable nature that ultimately refer to the One Creator GOD as the source of existence as we know it, regardless of the cultures references or names for the GOD are special to and for each culture or people, and for others.

I want to thank you for that question. It helped me to recall something pertinent to me, sorta jogged my mind. So thanks.

The truth is that these core scriptures that indeed, in a general way, all speak of the same thing are necessary for real profit to coexistence within humanity, and pave the way for peace and advancement.

All scriptures I refer to do not deny Jesus, yet many would have you think they do.

Guess I went off from the question a little.

I must say that the New Covenant has uhm...motivated me the most of the ones I have read and or do read. Yet still, they are all very significant for me.

Sorry, it's probably hard to read and harder to comprehend.

Peace
12-02-2016, 08:31 PM
(12-02-2016 07:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 05:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Perfect" requires a context. Laplace and others have considered what a perfect being would be like in the context of a deterministic universe. Curiously Laplace called it a demon.

We should have him meet up with Maxwell's Demon...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_demon

Evil_monster

I have actually imagined a matchup. Hobo

#sigh
12-02-2016, 08:38 PM
(12-02-2016 08:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  And Diddo, who told you, and by what process did you decide a perfect being was "ineffable" ? Who said that was perfection ? By what standard is that "perfect". Why is not the opposite "perfection" ? All you've done is asserted something, with NO support.

Because he contextualized it as being "boundless." Ineffability wouldn't be a functional marker that provided perfection so much as an inescapable byproduct of perfection subscribing to no limitations. An entity that could be communicably and conceptually understood would be restricted in its properties by the very act of description.

I suppose contextualizing perfection as boundless would be self-defeating though, since by describing it as such, the concept is no longer adhering to its own standard due to the very act of being formulated in the abstract.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
12-02-2016, 08:42 PM
(12-02-2016 08:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 07:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Most definitely all ancient core scriptures and even some that aren't exactly ancient have truth within their pages. All I have read All speak of the same thing; just in separate ways due to individual culture and time.

Peace

Ya mean, like killing those who aren't members of the tribe ? Those "truths" ?

And Diddo, who told you, and by what process did you decide a perfect being was "ineffable" ? Who said that was perfection ? By what standard is that "perfect". Why is not the opposite "perfection" ? All you've done is asserted something, with NO support.
No, I don't mean those promoting physical death or sacrifice of anything or one other than self.
Such things are specifically spoken against, in the New Covenant, and other scriptures, and a people was punished for the misdirection they knowingly ultimately caused. The Torah is profitable as well, all of it is, just some parts are more lessons, and not exactly direction to go, but what to keep from. One of the biggest problems with people's interpretations of the Torah are that they look at all in a literal sense. It's all parables, riddles, triple, and double entendres, so looking at it literally doesn't really do it justice, at all.

Peace
[+] 2 users Like popsthebuilder's post
12-02-2016, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 08:58 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(12-02-2016 08:42 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 08:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ya mean, like killing those who aren't members of the tribe ? Those "truths" ?

No, I don't mean those promoting physical death or sacrifice of anything or one other than self.
Such things are specifically spoken against, in the New Covenant, and other scriptures, and a people was punished for the misdirection they knowingly ultimately caused. The Torah is profitable as well, all of it is, just some parts are more lessons, and not exactly direction to go, but what to keep from. One of the biggest problems with people's interpretations of the Torah are that they look at all in a literal sense. It's all parables, riddles, triple, and double entendres, so looking at it literally doesn't really do it justice, at all.

Peace

But their *god* specifially did the smiting, in many cases, AND supposedly, it's ALL *his word*. The "New Covenant" is bullshit. Jesus said : Matthew 5:18 "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." Jesus never said he was making a "new covenant". Christians made up that shit. So, I see you DO feel you get to cherry-pick the parts you like, and drop the rest. If your god is "unchanging", his morality must not change.

BTW, you have not answered the question. Paul himself said "women must be silent" according to the law''. What's "new covenant" about that ? Even Paul cherry-picked his stuff.

What is the STANDARD, by which you cherry-pick ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-02-2016, 08:56 PM
(12-02-2016 08:42 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 08:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ya mean, like killing those who aren't members of the tribe ? Those "truths" ?

Peace

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-02-2016, 08:58 PM
(12-02-2016 08:28 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  The bible is special, yes. I think all core scripture of an ultimately peaceable nature that ultimately refer to the One Creator GOD as the source of existence as we know it, regardless of the cultures references or names for the GOD are special to and for each culture or people, and for others.

Sentimental drivel. The Quran says to kill non-believers. The god of the OT told "his people" to murder innocent women and children. Your statement is demonstrably false. You have your head in the sand, and obviously never read the OT.

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-02-2016, 09:09 PM
(12-02-2016 08:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 07:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  We should have him meet up with Maxwell's Demon...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_demon

Evil_monster

I have actually imagined a matchup. Hobo

All these thermodynamics jokes! Smile The first time one of my physics profs brought up Maxwell's Demon, everybody was freaking out, looking at each other like "What the HELL is she talking about?". I don't freak out over trivial shit like that, as I had read about that stuff before I started college. I just laughed at their reaction. Now that I think about it, I was probably the only Physics major in that class; it was sophomore level Heat, Light & Sound. At my university, there were 66 Physics majors, including master's candidates, in a school population of 28k. Until upper division, there were few fellow majors around.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post