Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2016, 10:33 PM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
More theists should weigh in...come on, lurkers, the Dark Side is waiting. Yes Drooling
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
03-02-2016, 07:37 AM
(02-02-2016 10:45 AM)mgoering Wrote:  I know many will respond with snarky answers. That's OK. But, what I'm really interested in is understanding the psychology of what causes a person to so passionately believe or not believe. So if you can, be brutally honest.

I never went to places like this when I was a theist. I largely avoided discussing religion online, which I think mostly stems from my own insecurities with my beliefs. I had a roommate in college who discussed this with me a lot, and he said a lot of the same things I say now. I think he and a philosophy class I took at the same time were a lot of what got me started down my path of disbelief. Still, that took five to eight years to set in.

I have posted in one Christian forum and several mixed FB groups since I stopped believing. The Christian forum was right before I joined here. At that point in my life, I was mostly there to argue and debate with other people. Mostly, I wanted to prove them wrong. Later, my motivations changed to be a combination of wanting to learn about other's beliefs and also to point out the types of claims that they can't honestly make. So basically: I stopped trying to disprove God and went to proving why other's God-claims were not at all compelling and how they couldn't possibly know what they're claiming to know.

And that's where I am, now. I think I'm still a member of two or three of these mixed FB groups, but I've turned off notifications, because so many of the conversations have become repeats of other old, tired conversations. We've all pretty much said our piece, and I'm sick of re-reading the same thing.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
03-02-2016, 09:44 AM
(02-02-2016 10:45 AM)mgoering Wrote:  We're all here for different reasons.

I'm a relatively new deconvert, so I come here frequently to listen to rational arguments against theism in order reinforce my newly held beliefs. Something so irrational should be very easy to dismiss. But because the decades of indoctrination and the threats for apostasy built in to the religion itself, it takes longer than it should.

That's my reason for being here. I wondered why others would visit this site daily. Especially Christians or other theists. What do you get out of it? Are you here to proselytize, to evangelize or to save souls? Do you have your own doubts and are looking for answers? Are you here to defend God, Jesus, Mohammad, Allah, Joseph Smth, et al against attacks by faithless cretins?

I know many will respond with snarky answers. That's OK. But, what I'm really interested in is understanding the psychology of what causes a person to so passionately believe or not believe. So if you can, be brutally honest.

The Q originally touched down on this forum to hear your rationale. When The Q shares Jesus with others The Q finds people either open or closed, but the atheists know ALL the Christian canards, so in a Hegelian synthesis The Q's already near-omniscient knowledge base grows having atheists reprove The Q's arguments.

However, it is a truism that atheists who are active on atheist forums are bitter and angry. Healing is available, my friends! The Q longs for a good synthesis/antithesis argument here and not just vituperative vindictiveness. Then again, people tend to get upset not understanding The Q's sense of humor acknowledging itself as a collective hive mind of near-omniscience in the first person...

PS. Omniscience comes from Omni-science and The Q is highly scientific.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2016, 09:56 AM

I'm a relatively new deconvert, so I come here frequently to listen to rational arguments against theism in order reinforce my newly held beliefs. Something so irrational should be very easy to dismiss. But because the decades of indoctrination and the threats for apostasy built in to the religion itself, it takes longer than it should.

That's my reason for being here. I wondered why others would visit this site daily. Especially Christians or other theists. What do you get out of it? Are you here to proselytize, to evangelize or to save souls? Do you have your own doubts and are looking for answers? Are you here to defend God, Jesus, Mohammad, Allah, Joseph Smth, et al against attacks by faithless cretins?

I know many will respond with snarky answers. That's OK. But, what I'm really interested in is understanding the psychology of what causes a person to so passionately believe or not believe. So if you can, be brutally honest.

I just like to encroach on people's personal space. I think religious based discussions are the best invitation to do just that. I don't just participate here, but other groups as well, some center around other religions, some centered around Christianity, and this one centering around atheism.

I've been privileged with a life, that's given me an expansive circle of friendship, getting to personally know the lives of many people quite different the myself. And I think a great deal of self-understanding comes from these interactions.

So my participation here, has a great deal do with maintaining that trajectory. I know the inclinations is to make caricatures out of those who we don't understand, who seem alien to us, that tendency being mine just as anybody else's, but I feel the most satisfied when I can look at people more expansively than that. The fact that these interactions are primarily over the internet doesn't help, but it seems to be the best we have.

There are variety of other motivations to, but this I'd say is the primary one. I'd like to get to know people, at a level that's more evident to who you are, than who you pretend to be. I spend more time actually reading through threads here, than I do actually responding to them.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 2 users Like Tomasia's post
03-02-2016, 10:18 AM
(03-02-2016 09:56 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

I just like to encroach on people's personal space. I think religious based discussions are the best invitation to do just that ...

Ok. So, can you explain why you find religious based discussions the best invitation to "encroach on people's personal space"? You may be on other forums, but you are here on a daily basis. Explain that. Dig a little deeper. Why an atheist forum?

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 1 user Likes mgoering's post
03-02-2016, 10:28 AM
(03-02-2016 09:56 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I just like to encroach on people's personal space.

Synonyms for encroach:

intrude
invade
impose [oneself] on
violate

Perhaps there's a better way to meet people. Just sayin'.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 5 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
03-02-2016, 10:29 AM
(03-02-2016 09:44 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

The Q originally touched down on this forum to hear your rationale. When The Q shares Jesus with others The Q finds people either open or closed, but the atheists know ALL the Christian canards, so in a Hegelian synthesis The Q's already near-omniscient knowledge base grows having atheists reprove The Q's arguments.

However, it is a truism that atheists who are active on atheist forums are bitter and angry. Healing is available, my friends! The Q longs for a good synthesis/antithesis argument here and not just vituperative vindictiveness. Then again, people tend to get upset not understanding The Q's sense of humor acknowledging itself as a collective hive mind of near-omniscience in the first person...

This is a highly obnoxious response to a request for your sincere motivations. I guess it's my fault. I did say snarky answers were ok. Dodgy

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
03-02-2016, 10:53 AM
(03-02-2016 09:44 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  However, it is a truism that atheists who are active on atheist forums are bitter and angry.

That is not true. You haven't engaged in conversation with the majority here, only those who are inclined to argue with you.

The majority of us here are neither bitter nor angry, they are here to give and receive support and for entertainment, amusing bantering and learning about various things.

And of the ones who do engage with you, some may be angry, but I know of no bitter ones.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
03-02-2016, 10:55 AM
(03-02-2016 09:44 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

[Image: Laughing-Animated-Gif-11.gif]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
03-02-2016, 11:01 AM
(03-02-2016 10:18 AM)mgoering Wrote:  Ok. So, can you explain why you find religious based discussions the best invitation to "encroach on people's personal space"? You may be on other forums, but you are here on a daily basis. Explain that. Dig a little deeper. Why an atheist forum?

Usually when someone suggests to dig a little deeper, is because they imagine they see some underlying and undisclosed reason of their own, beyond what was provided for them. I'm not sure if it's get any deeper than the motivation being self acknowledge. In a question such as what makes you, you, and me, me. For those who imagine themselves on the right side of truth here, and me on the wrong side of it , that response may be bewildering, but that begs a deeper question that should be asked to yourself, more so than me.

As far as the personal space question, there's a reason why it's often suggested that we avoid the topic of religion at the dinner table, why religious discussions tend to be ripe with conflict, and animosity. Because the topic is one, unlike very many other topics, that are linked to our sense of identify, and who are, whether one see themselves on the theistic, or atheistic end of the spectrum.

Atheists forums are appealing also for the fact, that we can skip all the congenialities, and freely say what it is we're thinking without worrying about each other feelings, because by default the relationship are contentious. A group that so freely attempts to draw assumptions as to why I believe what I do, has made it so that it's perfectly appropriate for me to do the same. So there's a considerable more room here to say what I want, then with my friends, or acquinatances were you have to avoid offending them.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."