Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2016, 08:04 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(13-02-2016 07:59 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  What benefit go I gain here by seeming crazy? None. What reward do I get, what praise, what help? Where is my motive?
  • Attention seeking
  • Delusions of being 'special'
  • Feeling you have some special knowledge or insight
  • Desire to feel superior

I'm sure that list can be expanded.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
13-02-2016, 08:06 AM
(13-02-2016 08:00 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 07:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  It wasn't just in war, nor were those wars just.
War usually isn't just, but at that time may have been needed that people in general could survive, learn, and grow from their lessons and mistakes.

Nonsense. Those justifications are absurd and immoral.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-02-2016, 08:07 AM
(13-02-2016 07:52 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 07:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Except for all the times he commanded killing, that is. Drinking Beverage
Just because there are instances recorded in the Torah where men were called upon to kill others in a time of war doesn't mean it is or even was ever law.

You changed the goal posts here pops. No one was talking about "a law". YOU claimed all scriptures were peaceful.

We just proved you wrong. In fact we proved your stupid god demanded the killing of innocents. You are so delusional.

Why are you here ? Oh ..... dancing bear. I forgot.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-02-2016, 08:08 AM
(13-02-2016 08:00 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  War usually isn't just, but at that time may have been needed that people in general could survive, learn, and grow from their lessons and mistakes.

That has to be one of the most pathetic apologetics ever used. If the best the creator of the universe can do is order people to slaughter each other brutally in order to learn a lesson then it's an incredibly incompetent deity. You'd think that after thousands of years without the lesson being learned it'd try something different.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
13-02-2016, 08:08 AM
(13-02-2016 07:59 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 07:44 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Looking at it as if it amounts to any evidence of a godly entity doesn't do it justice at all either.

If you're aware it's parables & riddles what makes you think any of that was not merely thought up by various men throughout their ages without any actual connection to god? How does one conclude this wordplay was at all inspired by something or speaks truly about something?
I don't deny that it was written by separate men with different levels of Faith and direction of GOD. In fact none have ever been wholly righteous into God but the Christ. Saying that men devoted their lives to the cause of GOD just for shits and giggles doesn't make sense. Why would they have done such? Surely some were motivated by greed, personal want, and pride, but that doesn't mean that they were not also inspired by GOD. I know they weren't just making things up for a few reasons, the least of which isn't the fact that I too have witnessed GOD on some level and did not make it up. What benefit go I gain here by seeming crazy? None. What reward do I get, what praise, what help? Where is my motive?

You know people can think they're motivated by god and not be right. That should cross your mind pretty easily.

You make so many leaps to assumptions here its silly. There are dozens of reasons to not conclude or assume this look crazy concept since millions Of people are daily proclaim to be motivated by God's to do x or chose x.

Do you think everyone who proclaims to speak or be motivated by God is? If nit, how would you know who isn't or is... especially if you open you criteria to oh they were directed by God bit apparently nobody to you directed by God ever gets the details ALL right, only some. That's remarkably easy to manipulate... oh yeah that's exactly what political and religious leaders have known across the globe for thousands of years. "Looking crazy" gains constant benefits from power to pity to money to simply letting you live as a peaceful gift reviewing live if you're lucky to be of those Hindu casts to be revered for a status symbol due to your spiritual claims.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-02-2016, 08:11 AM
(13-02-2016 08:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 07:59 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  What benefit go I gain here by seeming crazy? None. What reward do I get, what praise, what help? Where is my motive?
  • Attention seeking

I get a very strong martyr/persecution vibe. I think Pops suffers from delusions of adequacy.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
13-02-2016, 08:31 AM
(13-02-2016 08:11 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 08:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
  • Attention seeking

I get a very strong martyr/persecution vibe. I think Pops suffers from delusions of adequacy.

Looking back at his demonstration of knowledge about science in general and the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum in particular, all of the above are driven by the Dunning-Kruger effect.
13-02-2016, 08:49 AM
(13-02-2016 07:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 07:33 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Yes the Torah was misinterpreted in ways and God's people we're lead astray and leading others astray.

Implying that you know the correct interpretation? Consider

How do you know that?
God
13-02-2016, 08:51 AM
(13-02-2016 08:49 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 07:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  Implying that you know the correct interpretation? Consider

How do you know that?
God

By "God", I presume you mean revelation. If so, how could you distinguish it from the voice of Satan?

Truth seeker.
13-02-2016, 08:56 AM
(13-02-2016 08:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 07:52 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Just because there are instances recorded in the Torah where men were called upon to kill others in a time of war doesn't mean it is or even was ever law.

You changed the goal posts here pops. No one was talking about "a law". YOU claimed all scriptures were peaceful.

We just proved you wrong. In fact we proved your stupid god demanded the killing of innocents. You are so delusional.

Why are you here ? Oh ..... dancing bear. I forgot.
They are all peaceable and give the same message. Read the whole book instead of picking negativity out of context to support your view.

Even Jesus said he will come with a sword. Taken out of context sounds pretty bad. But if you have any real knowledge of the bible to understand that the word of GOD is the sword and no where is the word of GOD to kill any, but to strike men down severing evil from good which lies in us all.