Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2016, 08:57 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(13-02-2016 08:08 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 08:00 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  War usually isn't just, but at that time may have been needed that people in general could survive, learn, and grow from their lessons and mistakes.

That has to be one of the most pathetic apologetics ever used. If the best the creator of the universe can do is order people to slaughter each other brutally in order to learn a lesson then it's an incredibly incompetent deity. You'd think that after thousands of years without the lesson being learned it'd try something different.
Hence the new covenant. And God never tried and failed. All things happen for a reason, not by our will, time, or understanding, but God's.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2016, 08:59 AM
(13-02-2016 08:08 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 07:59 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I don't deny that it was written by separate men with different levels of Faith and direction of GOD. In fact none have ever been wholly righteous into God but the Christ. Saying that men devoted their lives to the cause of GOD just for shits and giggles doesn't make sense. Why would they have done such? Surely some were motivated by greed, personal want, and pride, but that doesn't mean that they were not also inspired by GOD. I know they weren't just making things up for a few reasons, the least of which isn't the fact that I too have witnessed GOD on some level and did not make it up. What benefit go I gain here by seeming crazy? None. What reward do I get, what praise, what help? Where is my motive?

You know people can think they're motivated by god and not be right. That should cross your mind pretty easily.

You make so many leaps to assumptions here its silly. There are dozens of reasons to not conclude or assume this look crazy concept since millions Of people are daily proclaim to be motivated by God's to do x or chose x.

Do you think everyone who proclaims to speak or be motivated by God is? If nit, how would you know who isn't or is... especially if you open you criteria to oh they were directed by God bit apparently nobody to you directed by God ever gets the details ALL right, only some. That's remarkably easy to manipulate... oh yeah that's exactly what political and religious leaders have known across the globe for thousands of years. "Looking crazy" gains constant benefits from power to pity to money to simply letting you live as a peaceful gift reviewing live if you're lucky to be of those Hindu casts to be revered for a status symbol due to your spiritual claims.
No they aren't, and it is discerned by their words and actions.
13-02-2016, 09:01 AM
(13-02-2016 08:59 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 08:08 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You know people can think they're motivated by god and not be right. That should cross your mind pretty easily.

You make so many leaps to assumptions here its silly. There are dozens of reasons to not conclude or assume this look crazy concept since millions Of people are daily proclaim to be motivated by God's to do x or chose x.

Do you think everyone who proclaims to speak or be motivated by God is? If nit, how would you know who isn't or is... especially if you open you criteria to oh they were directed by God bit apparently nobody to you directed by God ever gets the details ALL right, only some. That's remarkably easy to manipulate... oh yeah that's exactly what political and religious leaders have known across the globe for thousands of years. "Looking crazy" gains constant benefits from power to pity to money to simply letting you live as a peaceful gift reviewing live if you're lucky to be of those Hindu casts to be revered for a status symbol due to your spiritual claims.
No they aren't, and it is discerned by their words and actions.

If you don't think the words and actions of the biblical people are accurate to gods will but instead full of parables and metaphorical meanings, why would you consider them inspired by god?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-02-2016, 09:01 AM
(13-02-2016 08:11 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 08:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
  • Attention seeking
  • Delusions of being 'special'
  • Feeling you have some special knowledge or insight
  • Desire to feel superior

I'm sure that list can be expanded.

I get a very strong martyr/persecution vibe. I think Pops suffers from delusions of adequacy.
Not me, not now, maybe never. I am noone. And will not ever claim any significance of or in self.
13-02-2016, 09:03 AM
(13-02-2016 09:01 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 08:59 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  No they aren't, and it is discerned by their words and actions.

If you don't think the words and actions of the biblical people are accurate to gods will but instead full of parables and metaphorical meanings, why would you consider them inspired by god?
A parable, and a metaphore still have meaning, in fact, more so than literal interpretation. Why would a parable mean it isn't the will of GOD or God inspired. Christ spoke pretty much only in parables and is of GOD.
13-02-2016, 09:05 AM
(13-02-2016 09:01 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 08:11 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I get a very strong martyr/persecution vibe. I think Pops suffers from delusions of adequacy.
Not me, not now, maybe never. I am noone. And will not ever claim any significance of or in self.

Except you constantly do that.. by claiming you understand god correctly and have the knowledge to diners the "godly" actions and words of those really inspired by god you are proclaiming your experience with god was true and gives yourself a notion of knowing this truth.

Otherwise all your claims of the accurate claims of gods are uninfluenced opinions you have and that's all. Because you don't say you base your concepts on anything else.

13-02-2016, 09:09 AM
(13-02-2016 09:03 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 09:01 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  If you don't think the words and actions of the biblical people are accurate to gods will but instead full of parables and metaphorical meanings, why would you consider them inspired by god?
A parable, and a metaphore still have meaning, in fact, more so than literal interpretation. Why would a parable mean it isn't the will of GOD or God inspired. Christ spoke pretty much only in parables and is of GOD.

Are you this dense? You literally are making a presumption into your conclusion right there.

"Jesus spoke in parabales and is god"(You don't know that ya clod) This is just based on the biblical claims.. which uses metaphors and parables.

This ALL is ONLY based on the bible itself. SO you're saying because the bible uses parables it shows that parables have the will of god. Because the bible proclaims it...

There is nothing outside to give you context to believe it in your statement.

So you're claiming not ALL of the bible is metaphor and parable. You said others reading of hte bible is flawed for taking it literal. You are taking it LITERAL to think it is literally saying Jesus is God instead of that being merely metaphorical and just a message of goodness for people written without literal meaning. All you are doing is saying, Oh I pick and choose these parts but they pick and choose (The WRONG parts) to take literal.

[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post
13-02-2016, 09:29 AM
(13-02-2016 08:51 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 08:49 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  God

By "God", I presume you mean revelation. If so, how could you distinguish it from the voice of Satan?
One is a thing as the other is not. One is pure without negativity in anyway towards anyone life, the other is twisted, insidious, currupting, hidden, manipulative, attached to greed and pride, and has negative effect often in some hidden way only noticeable through utter honesty within self.

Admittedly, the most cunning of negative connotations is almost still hidden, yet too, they are observable through the same absence of self attainment on any level and looking at everything from an outer view, without want of self benefit, but towards the benefit of existence by the will of existence, and as such, ultimately the will of GOD, for the will of the void is to be without, to return to non existence, to absence and the lack there of.

Frankly, the two are quite opposite in every way, and show such to be true through observation. Though the will to not be is more difficult to observe in cases, it is easily seen within the light of GOD, when that light is on, which is by it must stay on at all times.

Anyway, with utter humility, as I know well my position here and the pleading I do for your cases towards me.

Peace
13-02-2016, 09:33 AM
(13-02-2016 09:01 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 08:59 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  No they aren't, and it is discerned by their words and actions.

Didn't catch that the first time.

The words and actions of man not the same as what is in the core scriptures. There is proof of this within scripture. The utter will of God has been attained by none but the one pure lamb of GOD that was destined and ordained to be the guiding light for all existence.
13-02-2016, 09:48 AM
(13-02-2016 09:05 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 09:01 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Not me, not now, maybe never. I am noone. And will not ever claim any significance of or in self.

Except you constantly do that.. by claiming you understand god correctly and have the knowledge to diners the "godly" actions and words of those really inspired by god you are proclaiming your experience with god was true and gives yourself a notion of knowing this truth.

Otherwise all your claims of the accurate claims of gods are uninfluenced opinions you have and that's all. Because you don't say you base your concepts on anything else.
You're missing what I am trying to convey.

The will of God is not mine own, but was given to me, by his grace and mercy. Me... I fight it in the ways this fool tries to explain.
How dare I claim the will of Creator is my will? I cannot.

Even when I cut this beast loose by God's will, I still won't be worth, or look for reward. The reward is in the doing, the changing. The newness of the unrecognized vessel is by definition not mine. Though I do attempt to embrace it.

It's not been loosed, and as such drags me through the winds and breaks me. Though it will not kill me, but makes me more stout.

Ultimately, it has shit to do with me.

I am thankful to GOD and do recognize many things that where in me prior to what happened, but even still, all is ultimately the will of GOD. I didn't form myself. In fact my thought and drive brought me to the knowledge of the opposite of life.

Hard to explain.

Peace