Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2016, 09:25 PM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(13-02-2016 08:13 PM)xieulong Wrote:  Why couldn't god make it so that his words are clearer? Was he inept and unable to? Didn't he have the foresight to see that unclear instructions would be "misinterpreted"? Who determines that the Torah was misinterpreted, you?

This is exactly why engaging on debates about interpretation of religious texts is utterly pointless on the face of it. In the end, it's all made up. Their god has whatever characteristics they want it to, and they get to pick and choose what parts of the texts apply, or don't, and what they "really" mean.

You may as well challenge them to an imagination fight. You'll never win, because they are literally making up the rules as they go along.

But that's all right, because it's just an imagination fight. Until and unless they establish that a god exists, and that Text A is actually their "word", I couldn't give less of a damn how they interpret it or how insane and self-contradictory the fine print is.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Unbeliever's post
13-02-2016, 11:22 PM
(13-02-2016 09:25 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 08:13 PM)xieulong Wrote:  Why couldn't god make it so that his words are clearer? Was he inept and unable to? Didn't he have the foresight to see that unclear instructions would be "misinterpreted"? Who determines that the Torah was misinterpreted, you?

This is exactly why engaging on debates about interpretation of religious texts is utterly pointless on the face of it. In the end, it's all made up. Their god has whatever characteristics they want it to, and they get to pick and choose what parts of the texts apply, or don't, and what they "really" mean.

You may as well challenge them to an imagination fight. You'll never win, because they are literally making up the rules as they go along.

But that's all right, because it's just an imagination fight. Until and unless they establish that a god exists, and that Text A is actually their "word", I couldn't give less of a damn how they interpret it or how insane and self-contradictory the fine print is.

Sometimes, I like to see the mental gymnastic though. Big Grin
14-02-2016, 12:08 AM
(13-02-2016 04:46 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 04:44 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  You need to be more specific. I'm assuming you mean post #428 on this thread, but I don't see a prediction there.
Last paragraph I said the was feeding people ammo towards their inclinations towards me

Nobody can "act" that stupid.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
14-02-2016, 06:52 AM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2016 07:04 AM by unfogged.)
Bumping this...

(13-02-2016 04:57 PM)unfogged Wrote:  [Pops,] What do you include in the law of Moses?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
14-02-2016, 07:41 AM
(13-02-2016 09:48 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 09:05 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Except you constantly do that.. by claiming you understand god correctly and have the knowledge to diners the "godly" actions and words of those really inspired by god you are proclaiming your experience with god was true and gives yourself a notion of knowing this truth.

Otherwise all your claims of the accurate claims of gods are uninfluenced opinions you have and that's all. Because you don't say you base your concepts on anything else.
You're missing what I am trying to convey.

The will of God is not mine own, but was given to me, by his grace and mercy. Me... I fight it in the ways this fool tries to explain.
How dare I claim the will of Creator is my will? I cannot.

Even when I cut this beast loose by God's will, I still won't be worth, or look for reward. The reward is in the doing, the changing. The newness of the unrecognized vessel is by definition not mine. Though I do attempt to embrace it.

It's not been loosed, and as such drags me through the winds and breaks me. Though it will not kill me, but makes me more stout.

Ultimately, it has shit to do with me.

I am thankful to GOD and do recognize many things that where in me prior to what happened, but even still, all is ultimately the will of GOD. I didn't form myself. In fact my thought and drive brought me to the knowledge of the opposite of life.

Hard to explain.

Peace
It drags.. you... it breaks... you....

And you even consider yourself lucky to be recognized by god. Yourself.

You are consistently dishonest. That's about all that can marker about yourself. Even if you don't think you have any issue, talking through the motivations of your actual actions opposed to just your perceptions would help you.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-02-2016, 09:14 AM
(14-02-2016 07:41 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(13-02-2016 09:48 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You're missing what I am trying to convey.

The will of God is not mine own, but was given to me, by his grace and mercy. Me... I fight it in the ways this fool tries to explain.
How dare I claim the will of Creator is my will? I cannot.

Even when I cut this beast loose by God's will, I still won't be worth, or look for reward. The reward is in the doing, the changing. The newness of the unrecognized vessel is by definition not mine. Though I do attempt to embrace it.

It's not been loosed, and as such drags me through the winds and breaks me. Though it will not kill me, but makes me more stout.

Ultimately, it has shit to do with me.

I am thankful to GOD and do recognize many things that where in me prior to what happened, but even still, all is ultimately the will of GOD. I didn't form myself. In fact my thought and drive brought me to the knowledge of the opposite of life.

Hard to explain.

Peace
It drags.. you... it breaks... you....

You are consistently dishonest. That's about all that can marker about yourself. Even if you don't think you have any issue, talking through the motivations of your actual actions opposed to just your perceptions would help you.
You mean talking through them with someone else? How would that help me? If that's what you meant.
14-02-2016, 12:56 PM
(14-02-2016 09:14 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(14-02-2016 07:41 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It drags.. you... it breaks... you....

You mean talking through them with someone else? How would that help me? If that's what you meant.
Clarify or highlight what it actually is you think you are doing or what you think it is you think.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Pops, the point is you cannot prove the "will of God" was given to you.

Nobody here is going to take your word on such claims and you can't verify them.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
16-02-2016, 08:49 AM
(12-02-2016 11:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 11:14 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Your choices are:

1. An outside catalyst

2. An inside catalyst

If it was an inside catalyst within the Big Bang singularity, the equilibrium was disturbed creating--matter and energy.

3. No catalyst - no singularity - no Big Bang.

Why are you going against science--yet again? Wikipedia's entry begins, "The Big Bang theory is the prevailing cosmological model for the universe..." [emphasis mine]

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2016, 08:53 AM
(12-02-2016 12:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 11:12 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It is not special pleading to point to the two correct alternatives. Pick one.

Street level common fallcy, Fundie theists make, all the time
Fallacy of the "excluded middle" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma )
You have in no way demonstrated the choices are limited to those two. Logic is necessary, but not sufficient, and in that you are also committing the fallacy of the false analogy. The ultimate nature of Reality has been proven to be non-intuitive, (Relativity, Uncertainty, math (tensors) of Dirac. You have no EVIDENCE for any of your "ultimate claims". They are meaningless drivel, based on unsupported (and in your case, unrecognized) assumptions.

Then you will tell us all what the middle is that I've excluded. It was at that time in pre-history your choice of a catalytic action within the singularity or an outside force or a combination of the two. Which alternative have I missed?

Note, everyone, how atheists dig their own trenches in arguments but use them as graves. Why not just admit that I've offered the only logical, plausible alternatives? What is your fear? That if it was an outside catalyst that there is a directing, guiding spirit outside this universe and space/time? Of course that is your fear.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user