Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2016, 01:50 PM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(19-02-2016 12:39 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(17-02-2016 10:35 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  How do you come to view propositions this way? Where did he indicate he is repudiating the idea? Our human minds don't only work in some absolute YES/NO binary code manner Q.

You can accept concepts as they stand to best current status at this point and accept potential alternatives are wide ranging. One can accept the idea but it doesn't mean they have to ONLY accept it to the most ultimate certainty one can accept a position on. Do you really think humans aren't capable of this? Is this how you think you are only capable of thinking?

Beyond anything, this still goes back to your false dichotomy. Even if you think HA that's silly nobody can say the universe always existed... ignoring how some religious views always have. It's clear there are more views than your proclaimed one or the other option. So why do you think that idea is valid despite the variables?

So you are saying:

1. The Big Bang was not caused by a catalyst inside the singularity.

2. " " by a catalyst outside the singularity.

3. " " by some of both, inside and outside.

Now, when you're done telling me my thinking is too in-the-box, I'll tell you I'm out-of-the-box but have no alternative to these three. I've tried. How about you?

4. .... ?

Indeed, and Chas eluded to a 4 and through further understanding of our understanding of what we can understand in this scenario(written intentionally that way) We may understand a seemingly potential 5th scenario as well.

Scientific understandings are always open to more material and understanding. When we reach new areas of grasping in the field, partial things expand within them such as the quantum world opening and now able to actual test understanding of things with gravitational waves. Hopefully somehow the barriers currently of dark energy or dark matter to some extent can be viewed from new perspectives or technological improvements too.

Scientific fields aren't in the same mindset of proclaiming absolute truth like some, not all, some, theists here come to talk about. Especially those presuppestional fans that like Sye's idea or Kalam concepts. So people aren't beholden to prevailing theories, even if they do accept it. It's not an insult or rejection of the concept to study other possibilities.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
19-02-2016, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2016 03:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-02-2016 12:40 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  God does allow atheists to wallow in their delusions, because there's no way you can know how much Jesus loves you and still say mean, nasty things about God.

Dafuq you say? The Word of The Christ don't have shit to do with God. It has everything to do with us. You are currently experiencing the damnation of being constantly in fear for your mortal soul here and now, up close and personal. I pity the fool who thinks he's immortal. How much more arrogant can you be?

tl;dr You gonna die and disappear into the void. How you deal with it is up to you.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-02-2016, 05:43 PM
(19-02-2016 12:40 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  God does allow atheists to wallow in their delusions, because there's no way you can know how much Jesus loves you and still say mean, nasty things about God.

This is one of the most childish things I have heard anyone say on this forum.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 7 users Like Anjele's post
19-02-2016, 08:46 PM
(19-02-2016 05:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

That is childish. "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" Q's a twit not worth engaging.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-02-2016, 05:51 AM
(19-02-2016 08:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-02-2016 05:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  This is one of the most childish things I have heard anyone say on this forum.

That is childish. "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" Q's a twit not worth engaging.

Eli, Eli, didja remember to feed the llama?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-02-2016, 06:41 AM
(19-02-2016 05:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

There's a ranking system now? How does one differentiate? Huh

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2016, 08:41 AM
(20-02-2016 06:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(19-02-2016 05:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  This is one of the most childish things I have heard anyone say on this forum.

There's a ranking system now? How does one differentiate? Huh

Wasn't that the point of the "quotes I want to remember thread" That was falsely created under the pretense of wanting to collect and save your quotes. Drinking Beverage

Btw, I'm disappointing in the folks who create threads here because I'm to gilgameshdamned lazy to create a thread these days about, Why do Atheists come to this forum? (then a bit later after more of those pompous I'm Huxley agnostic and you people harm our real position by your false using of these labels grr, come around again we can create the why do agnostics come to this forum thread) Always gotta be thinking ahead.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-02-2016, 08:48 AM
(20-02-2016 08:41 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(20-02-2016 06:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  There's a ranking system now? How does one differentiate? Huh

Wasn't that the point of the "quotes I want to remember thread" That was falsely created under the pretense of wanting to collect and save your quotes. Drinking Beverage
I am unable to quote anything there due my inability to grasp the sequence of steps required. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

20-02-2016, 07:13 PM
(02-02-2016 10:45 AM)mgoering Wrote:  We're all here for different reasons.

I'm a relatively new deconvert, so I come here frequently to listen to rational arguments against theism in order reinforce my newly held beliefs. Something so irrational should be very easy to dismiss. But because the decades of indoctrination and the threats for apostasy built in to the religion itself, it takes longer than it should.

That's my reason for being here. I wondered why others would visit this site daily. Especially Christians or other theists. What do you get out of it? Are you here to proselytize, to evangelize or to save souls? Do you have your own doubts and are looking for answers? Are you here to defend God, Jesus, Mohammad, Allah, Joseph Smth, et al against attacks by faithless cretins?

I know many will respond with snarky answers. That's OK. But, what I'm really interested in is understanding the psychology of what causes a person to so passionately believe or not believe. So if you can, be brutally honest.

A very good question. I was one of those Christians who came here regularly for a short while. There are multiple reasons which I can single out that I would decide to come here. The primary reason was often because I had an argument which supported theistic views and I wanted to test it by having atheists poke holes in it. Because I did this, I know better than most which arguments hold some water and which ones are total bogus.

Another reason I would come here was because I wanted to show atheists that not all Christians are irrational traditionalists and identifying with a religion doesn't necessitate certain stereotypes. This could be seen as an evangelism of sorts.

Another reason, which is also evangelistic, was because I wanted atheists to look at the actual teachings of Jesus rather than his stupid followers. There's genuine value in things he said whether or not you believe he even existed. There's a "moral to the story" if you will, which is why I became a Christian in the first place.

Last reason, which is why I'm here now: the hope of good, involving discussion (such as this one). Intellectuals are suckers for an in-depth conversation.

mgoering Wrote:I know many will respond with snarky answers. That's OK.
Haha, yeah, the internet (especially forums) is full of those.
[+] 2 users Like BlackEyedGhost's post
20-02-2016, 07:20 PM
(20-02-2016 07:13 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 10:45 AM)mgoering Wrote:  We're all here for different reasons.

I'm a relatively new deconvert, so I come here frequently to listen to rational arguments against theism in order reinforce my newly held beliefs. Something so irrational should be very easy to dismiss. But because the decades of indoctrination and the threats for apostasy built in to the religion itself, it takes longer than it should.

That's my reason for being here. I wondered why others would visit this site daily. Especially Christians or other theists. What do you get out of it? Are you here to proselytize, to evangelize or to save souls? Do you have your own doubts and are looking for answers? Are you here to defend God, Jesus, Mohammad, Allah, Joseph Smth, et al against attacks by faithless cretins?

I know many will respond with snarky answers. That's OK. But, what I'm really interested in is understanding the psychology of what causes a person to so passionately believe or not believe. So if you can, be brutally honest.

A very good question. I was one of those Christians who came here regularly for a short while. There are multiple reasons which I can single out that I would decide to come here. The primary reason was often because I had an argument which supported theistic views and I wanted to test it by having atheists poke holes in it. Because I did this, I know better than most which arguments hold some water and which ones are total bogus.

Another reason I would come here was because I wanted to show atheists that not all Christians are irrational traditionalists and identifying with a religion doesn't necessitate certain stereotypes. This could be seen as an evangelism of sorts.

Another reason, which is also evangelistic, was because I wanted atheists to look at the actual teachings of Jesus rather than his stupid followers. There's genuine value in things he said whether or not you believe he even existed. There's a "moral to the story" if you will, which is why I became a Christian in the first place.

Last reason, which is why I'm here now: the hope of good, involving discussion (such as this one). Intellectuals are suckers for an in-depth conversation.

mgoering Wrote:I know many will respond with snarky answers. That's OK.
Haha, yeah, the internet (especially forums) is full of those.

Your post sounds honest. And your answers to the question make sense to me. I don't think we have met before. Nice to meet you.