Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2016, 11:24 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(03-02-2016 11:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A group that so freely attempts to draw assumptions as to why I believe what I do,

Where has that happened? Provide quotes.

Quote:has made it so that it's perfectly appropriate for me to do the same.

It sounds like you are projecting. You make absurd assumptions about people and it is not appropriate.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
03-02-2016, 11:44 AM
(03-02-2016 11:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 10:18 AM)mgoering Wrote:  Ok. So, can you explain why you find religious based discussions the best invitation to "encroach on people's personal space"? You may be on other forums, but you are here on a daily basis. Explain that. Dig a little deeper. Why an atheist forum?

Usually when someone suggests to dig a little deeper, is because they imagine they see some underlying and undisclosed reason of their own, beyond what was provided for them. I'm not sure if it's get any deeper than the motivation being self acknowledge. In a question such as what makes you, you, and me, me. For those who imagine themselves on the right side of truth here, and me on the wrong side of it , that response may be bewildering, but that begs a deeper question that should be asked to yourself, more so than me.

As far as the personal space question, there's a reason why it's often suggested that we avoid the topic of religion at the dinner table, why religious discussions tend to be ripe with conflict, and animosity. Because the topic is one, unlike very many other topics, that are linked to our sense of identify, and who are, whether one see themselves on the theistic, or atheistic end of the spectrum.

Atheists forums are appealing also for the fact, that we can skip all the congenialities, and freely say what it is we're thinking without worrying about each other feelings, because by default the relationship are contentious. A group that so freely attempts to draw assumptions as to why I believe what I do, has made it so that it's perfectly appropriate for me to do the same. So there's a considerable more room here to say what I want, then with my friends, or acquinatances were you have to avoid offending them.

I don't want to push the issue any further if that is all you have. But, for me, that's still an unsatisfactory answer. Since October of 2014, time-wise, you have spent over one month on this forum. That's a hell of a lot of time to be on an atheist forum if your only motivation is "self acknowledge". You mention that the internet is a good place to discuss topics that you would not ordinarily discuss at the dinner table, you can skip all the congenialities and freely say what you think. I think we can all agree with you on that.

But, that in no way explains why an ATHEIST forum. The average person doesn't just wake up one day and say "I need some 'self-knowledge' I think I'll go to an atheist website and join the conversation." Of all the millions of interesting topics you could spend your time discussing, you choose to come here to an ATHEIST forum and post replies on a regular basis. That suggests that there is a deeper motivation. I've shared my reasons for wasting my good time here. I'm just asking others to do the same. If you don't feel like sharing your true motives then that's fine. End of discussion.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Find all posts by this user
03-02-2016, 11:47 AM
(03-02-2016 09:44 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  However, it is a truism that atheists who are active on atheist forums are bitter and angry. Healing is available, my friends!

Oh, Christ. I don't know why I chose to leave you off the ignore list so long, but that problem is easily corrected.

Fucking troll.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
03-02-2016, 11:47 AM
(03-02-2016 09:44 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  However, it is a truism that atheists who are active on atheist forums are bitter and angry.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-02-2016, 11:53 AM
(03-02-2016 11:47 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 09:44 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  However, it is a truism that atheists who are active on atheist forums are bitter and angry. Healing is available, my friends!

Oh, Christ. I don't know why I chose to leave you off the ignore list so long, but that problem is easily corrected.

Fucking troll.

And it is a truism that theists named Q who are active on atheist forums are extremely obnoxious! And, sad to say, there is no healing available! Laugh out load

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 2 users Like mgoering's post
03-02-2016, 12:11 PM
(03-02-2016 11:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 11:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A group that so freely attempts to draw assumptions as to why I believe what I do,

Where has that happened? Provide quotes.

The countless times folks accuse theists of being delusional, that their beliefs are a product of indoctrination, that they believe what the do because it makes them feel good, etc....

I doubt your so oblivious to these instances that you need to me to quote them.

Quote:It sounds like you are projecting. You make absurd assumptions about people and it is not appropriate.

Is it making assumptions about people that's inappropriate, or only when those assumptions are absurd that's it inappropriate?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-02-2016, 12:44 PM
(02-02-2016 10:33 PM)Fireball Wrote:  More theists should weigh in...come on, lurkers, the Dark Side is waiting. Yes Drooling

why must you ask them to cum out... you know what their gonna say and who annoying its gonna be to deal with ?

seriously what did we ever do to you ?

Laugh out load it had to be said
03-02-2016, 12:55 PM
(03-02-2016 12:11 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 11:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  Where has that happened? Provide quotes.

The countless times folks accuse theists of being delusional, that their beliefs are a product of indoctrination, that they believe what the do because it makes them feel good, etc....

I doubt your so oblivious to these instances that you need to me to quote them.

Do you really think that the general description of unevidenced beliefs as delusional, or decrying the occurrence of indoctrination as a source of belief, or that theists regularly defend faith as comforting is comparable to the narrow, personalized assumptions you make about individuals?

Quote:
Quote:It sounds like you are projecting. You make absurd assumptions about people and it is not appropriate.

Is it making assumptions about people that's inappropriate, or only when those assumptions are absurd that's it inappropriate?

Making assumptions about people is unavoidable. Voicing them, on the other hand, is rarely appropriate.
Your assumptions have almost invariably been wrong and you should stop voicing them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-02-2016, 01:57 PM
(03-02-2016 11:44 AM)mgoering Wrote:  I don't want to push the issue any further if that is all you have. But, for me, that's still an unsatisfactory answer. Since October of 2014, time-wise, you have spent over one month on this forum. That's a hell of a lot of time to be on an atheist forum if your only motivation is "self acknowledge".

That's true, I am a fairly active member here, probably not as much as the active atheists in this group, but probably more active than other theists here. But I'm not just active here, I'm currently in over 20 different Facebook groups as well. If there is a common thread between the ones I’m most active in is that all these groups having something to do with religion, christian groups, muslims groups, hindu groups, etc...

But to say something of myself, I tend to like the topic of religion, more so than perhaps any other topic. I guess if I like sports as much, of physics as much, I'd be a part of a sports forum, or physics forum. There's very few topics I feel as comfortable with, very few intersections, I'm interested in understanding better than one's involving religion. But it's also the state of the internet demographics, that this space is almost exclusively occupied by christians and atheists. So that's a good part of the reason.

Another reason is if you see me participating here at any given moment, it's likely because I'm working. I often have a lot of down time, and this has always been a good way to make the day go by faster. But like I said it's not the only place I participate in.

But like I said my active participation here, has a lot to do with the fact that I enjoy it, and I tend to for the most part like the people here. There are some folks like the TBD who I don't particularly enjoy arguing with, and I imagine if this place was filled with his type, I would have been gone a long time ago. I enjoy most of the conversations, the sort of different personalities, some of the topics being discussed, the tension, the sort of difficulties that come with online interactions. Also the fact the people here often seem to part of a demographic quite alien to me, is something that’s going to illicit my curiosity. And I don't think much can be gleamed from me as to why other theists participate here, I have my own quirks and odd curiosities that draws me here.

To some degree I'm as curious about a man's atheism, as I am about someone's Judaism, or the life and sensibilities of Japanese people, or folks from Denmark. I watch foreign movies, read books by authors outsides of the US, read random blogs, try and take in as many different perspective of others as I can.

It's not just religion, though religious topics are the one's I'm most active about, I'm member of buddhist forum, a psych forum, Storm Front, the British Defense League, a Divorced Men's Forum (though I'm happily married) etc...... I like observing the tides of modern life, in ways that others might see as almost obsessive. I think if you understand these tendencies, it's probably easier to see why I find myself here.

I think one part that make it make it difficult for other to empathize with this, is that I imagine most people here, and as well others who actively participate in a group they identify with, is that they tend to be isolated in way that places like this provide a sort of stand in community. So it’s easy to see how some of the relationships here, is that of friends. People do share a great deal with each other, provide emotional support, etc.. like real communities do. I don’t share in this nor seek it for myself. So in this way I’ll always be an “other”, a visitor whose over stayed his welcome. The strange man doing a long survey, the outsider, whose motives are never really understood.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
03-02-2016, 02:46 PM
(03-02-2016 10:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-02-2016 09:44 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  However, it is a truism that atheists who are active on atheist forums are bitter and angry.

That is not true. You haven't engaged in conversation with the majority here, only those who are inclined to argue with you.

The majority of us here are neither bitter nor angry, they are here to give and receive support and for entertainment, amusing bantering and learning about various things.

And of the ones who do engage with you, some may be angry, but I know of no bitter ones.

Do you honestly believe your assertions? When I post to all, that is, the majority, I sometimes get three-five pages of mean-spirited commentary.

A. Atheists are bitter.
B. You are an atheist.
C. Deductively speaking, you are bitter.

I believe your own reply to this post will demonstrate that fact. Prove me wrong.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.