Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2016, 07:24 PM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(20-02-2016 07:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Your post sounds honest. And your answers to the question make sense to me. I don't think we have met before. Nice to meet you.

We may have spoken a while back, I'm not sure. Nice to meet you as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2016, 07:28 PM
(20-02-2016 07:24 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  
(20-02-2016 07:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Your post sounds honest. And your answers to the question make sense to me. I don't think we have met before. Nice to meet you.

We may have spoken a while back, I'm not sure. Nice to meet you as well.

Ah, yes, I asked if you had been in prison. You had a good sense of humor about it. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-02-2016, 07:29 PM
(20-02-2016 07:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Ah, yes, I asked if you had been in prison. You had a good sense of humor about it. Smile

Hahahaha. I remember that actually. Yeah, I take long hiatuses.
[+] 1 user Likes BlackEyedGhost's post
21-02-2016, 08:30 AM
(20-02-2016 07:13 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  A very good question. I was one of those Christians who came here regularly for a short while. There are multiple reasons which I can single out that I would decide to come here. The primary reason was often because I had an argument which supported theistic views and I wanted to test it by having atheists poke holes in it. Because I did this, I know better than most which arguments hold some water and which ones are total bogus.

There are some that hold water?
Consider

Quote:Another reason, which is also evangelistic, was because I wanted atheists to look at the actual teachings of Jesus rather than his stupid followers. There's genuine value in things he said whether or not you believe he even existed. There's a "moral to the story" if you will, which is why I became a Christian in the first place.

There are valuable things to be found in many stories but that doesn't mean that the stories are true. There are things attributed to Jesus that are admirable but they aren't admirable because they are attributed to Jesus just like they aren't any less valuable when attributed to Oliver Twist, Frodo, or Captain Picard.

Quote:Last reason, which is why I'm here now: the hope of good, involving discussion (such as this one). Intellectuals are suckers for an in-depth conversation.

So are you still a believer? It is hard to tell from your recent posts.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
21-02-2016, 09:45 AM
(21-02-2016 08:30 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(20-02-2016 07:13 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  A very good question. I was one of those Christians who came here regularly for a short while. There are multiple reasons which I can single out that I would decide to come here. The primary reason was often because I had an argument which supported theistic views and I wanted to test it by having atheists poke holes in it. Because I did this, I know better than most which arguments hold some water and which ones are total bogus.

There are some that hold water?
Consider

Even a bucket full of holes will hold a few drops, man.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
21-02-2016, 01:23 PM
(21-02-2016 08:30 AM)unfogged Wrote:  There are some that hold water?
Consider
Yes. Intelligent Design is a valid theory for how life originated after all. It doesn't have to be attributed to an all-knowing God by any means, but since we don't know the origin of life, any reasonable person must be willing to admit that it's a possibility.

(21-02-2016 08:30 AM)unfogged Wrote:  There are valuable things to be found in many stories but that doesn't mean that the stories are true. There are things attributed to Jesus that are admirable but they aren't admirable because they are attributed to Jesus just like they aren't any less valuable when attributed to Oliver Twist, Frodo, or Captain Picard.
Thank you. You restated exactly what I was getting at in your own terms.

(21-02-2016 08:30 AM)unfogged Wrote:  So are you still a believer? It is hard to tell from your recent posts.
I don't know. I don't really care to decide how to answer that because I find it an impertinent question.
21-02-2016, 01:28 PM
(21-02-2016 01:23 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  I don't know. I don't really care to decide how to answer that because I find it an impertinent question.

Why do you find that question impertinent? It is a logical question given your past and current statements.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-02-2016, 01:31 PM
(21-02-2016 01:23 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  
Consider
Yes. Intelligent Design is a valid theory for how life originated after all. It doesn't have to be attributed to an all-knowing God by any means, but since we don't know the origin of life, any reasonable person must be willing to admit that it's a possibility.

Umm no, not even close:

Any reasonable person will admit that no deity is needed to explain the origin of life.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
21-02-2016, 01:54 PM
(21-02-2016 01:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  Why do you find that question impertinent? It is a logical question given your past and current statements.

Because I don't see how my being a believer or not has any bearing on anything. If I'm a believer and I tell you that 2+2=4, it's not any more or less true than if I'm an atheist and I say 2+2=4. It's an irrelevant an meaningless distinction to make.
21-02-2016, 02:00 PM
(21-02-2016 01:23 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  
Consider

ID is not a theory in any meaningful sense. It is, at best, a conjecture. Saying something is a possibility is pretty vacuous when there isn't any evidence that directly supports the idea. All ID boils down to is an elaborate god-of-the-gaps argument.

Quote:
(21-02-2016 08:30 AM)unfogged Wrote:  So are you still a believer? It is hard to tell from your recent posts.
I don't know. I don't really care to decide how to answer that because I find it an impertinent question.

Consider
I don't see how it could be considered impertinent. It seems to me like a very simple, basic question given the nature of this forum.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post