Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2016, 06:24 PM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(21-02-2016 02:00 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  
(21-02-2016 01:31 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Umm no, not even close:

Any reasonable person will admit that no deity is needed to explain the origin of life.

I already stated that "deity" (though I said "omniscient God") isn't a part of Intelligent Design. I also stated not that it's necessary, but that it's possible. I'm a reasonable person and I admit that no deity is necessary to explain the origin of life. I also admit that Intelligent Design is a valid theory for the origin of life.

And you have no evidence of either, so you are not, in fact, being reasonable.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2016, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2016 09:07 PM by BlackEyedGhost.)
I'm going to post another forum so that everyone can get this whole "intelligent design is stupid" thing out there without taking over this forum.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ign--36437
Find all posts by this user
23-02-2016, 09:44 AM
(19-02-2016 01:11 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(19-02-2016 12:42 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  There's so much wrong with your post it's hard to know where to begin.

Hey, you don't see me complaining with regards to your incoherence, buddy.

(19-02-2016 12:42 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  But you are gilding the lily regarding conservation. Most honest people would admit the troubling nature of having no matter and then some while holding that this law was always in effect.

This law is in effect within the space-time continuum.

Without space-time, not only does this law not necessarily hold, it would be impossible to violate it - since, without time, you cannot have "no matter and then some". In fact, the whole question of "before" space-time is, in itself, incoherent - but that's rather beside the point.

Is it, honestly? I was speaking to a Christian yesterday who used the term "before our current time, space and matter". Please tell us about the time that passed when there was no space or light to add coherence to your thoughts here.

Thanks.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
23-02-2016, 09:48 AM
(19-02-2016 01:50 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(19-02-2016 12:39 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  So you are saying:

1. The Big Bang was not caused by a catalyst inside the singularity.

2. " " by a catalyst outside the singularity.

3. " " by some of both, inside and outside.

Now, when you're done telling me my thinking is too in-the-box, I'll tell you I'm out-of-the-box but have no alternative to these three. I've tried. How about you?

4. .... ?

Indeed, and Chas eluded to a 4 and through further understanding of our understanding of what we can understand in this scenario(written intentionally that way) We may understand a seemingly potential 5th scenario as well.

Scientific understandings are always open to more material and understanding. When we reach new areas of grasping in the field, partial things expand within them such as the quantum world opening and now able to actual test understanding of things with gravitational waves. Hopefully somehow the barriers currently of dark energy or dark matter to some extent can be viewed from new perspectives or technological improvements too.

Scientific fields aren't in the same mindset of proclaiming absolute truth like some, not all, some, theists here come to talk about. Especially those presuppestional fans that like Sye's idea or Kalam concepts. So people aren't beholden to prevailing theories, even if they do accept it. It's not an insult or rejection of the concept to study other possibilities.

You can replace singularity with "before this matter, space and time". My point stands.

And the point of my logical exercise certainly stands. I mention the alternatives and EVERY time, TTA members accuse me of a god in the gaps BEFORE I say word one about God. "Do the math," there was neither time, space nor matter and then there was... in the beginning.

The Bible makes the outrageous claim that Jesus Christ was there pre-incarnate before Creation. The Bible prophecies fulfilled give credence to the truths of the Bible.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
23-02-2016, 09:59 AM
(23-02-2016 09:44 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Is it, honestly? I was speaking to a Christian yesterday who used the term "before our current time, space and matter". Please tell us about the time that passed when there was no space or light to add coherence to your thoughts here.

What? Once again, I cannot answer this question, because it does not parse.

If you wish to hold a discussion, you need to make an effort to actually communicate coherently.

(23-02-2016 09:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The Bible makes the outrageous claim that Jesus Christ was there pre-incarnate before Creation. The Bible prophecies fulfilled give credence to the truths of the Bible.

Once again, Q: you do not have fulfilled prophecies.

Repeating the same previously-rebutted nonsense does not make it right.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 4 users Like Unbeliever's post
23-02-2016, 10:10 AM
(23-02-2016 09:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The Bible makes the outrageous claim that Jesus Christ was there pre-incarnate before Creation. The Bible prophecies fulfilled give credence to the truths of the Bible.

Cite the verses.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
23-02-2016, 10:40 AM
(23-02-2016 09:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You can replace singularity with "before this matter, space and time". My point stands.

And the point of my logical exercise certainly stands. I mention the alternatives and EVERY time, TTA members accuse me of a god in the gaps BEFORE I say word one about God. "Do the math," there was neither time, space nor matter and then there was... in the beginning.

The Bible makes the outrageous claim that Jesus Christ was there pre-incarnate before Creation. The Bible prophecies fulfilled give credence to the truths of the Bible.
Your logical exercise shows a lack of understanding of the Big Bang.

The Big Bang was the origin of our universe. It was not the origin of matter.

Science cannot yet explain the Singularity event or describe the conditions before that event. In the future science may be able to do both. Better instruments, better theories and understandings. More information. More experiments, more space probes. Knowledge and science build and grow.

IF and I say IF, that happens, it will be due to scientists and technology.

It will not be due to religious texts and stagnating doctrine.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
23-02-2016, 01:16 PM
(23-02-2016 09:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(19-02-2016 01:50 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Indeed, and Chas eluded to a 4 and through further understanding of our understanding of what we can understand in this scenario(written intentionally that way) We may understand a seemingly potential 5th scenario as well.

Scientific understandings are always open to more material and understanding. When we reach new areas of grasping in the field, partial things expand within them such as the quantum world opening and now able to actual test understanding of things with gravitational waves. Hopefully somehow the barriers currently of dark energy or dark matter to some extent can be viewed from new perspectives or technological improvements too.

Scientific fields aren't in the same mindset of proclaiming absolute truth like some, not all, some, theists here come to talk about. Especially those presuppestional fans that like Sye's idea or Kalam concepts. So people aren't beholden to prevailing theories, even if they do accept it. It's not an insult or rejection of the concept to study other possibilities.

You can replace singularity with "before this matter, space and time". My point stands.

I don't care about your.. but other people said this to me complaint. It's childlike in complaint of saying your sibling gets x and you don't. And you do it without evidence, making it more worthless. Is there evidence of this treatment? You could actually post direct examples of it. Regardless of that since it wouldn't change or mean anything to do so. I wouldn't care true or fake, it's just not relevant.

You don't ever approach a post with JUST an objection. It's not like you go and say "but is that scientific understanding certainly correct?" and leave it at that.. because you do bring your claim to the table. So your but I am merely doing this flaw to your claim is weak across the board.

Btw, before you stated God is life. So God is now somehow existent without matter being existent, yet God is living. That's more non-existing concepts being proclaimed to exist within god. Does God have DNA?

All down to it your point is collection of 66 books & PROPHECY vs mathmatics, physics, formula logic, skepticism, and the formula basis to provide the best understanding of any component we have. So the idea that you're mentioning these alternatives falls in the face of it because your alternative is using a total different concept.

So why you are here, if your evidence is the prophesies, why would you care about anything but demonstrating how the prophesy are actually true?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-02-2016, 08:22 PM
(23-02-2016 09:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(19-02-2016 01:50 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Indeed, and Chas eluded to a 4 and through further understanding of our understanding of what we can understand in this scenario(written intentionally that way) We may understand a seemingly potential 5th scenario as well.

This one begat this one. And that one begot this one. And lo and behold somebody said some shit...so just how retarded are you?
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
24-02-2016, 02:30 PM
(23-02-2016 09:59 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(23-02-2016 09:44 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Is it, honestly? I was speaking to a Christian yesterday who used the term "before our current time, space and matter". Please tell us about the time that passed when there was no space or light to add coherence to your thoughts here.

What? Once again, I cannot answer this question, because it does not parse.

If you wish to hold a discussion, you need to make an effort to actually communicate coherently.

Once again, Q: you do not have fulfilled prophecies.

Repeating the same previously-rebutted nonsense does not make it right.

I can communicate coherently. Sometimes I sacrifice a bit of coherence for concision, however, so let me help you:

You have a hole of logic when you/if you (or other TTA members) claim there was somehow always time, space and matter "here".