Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2016, 10:19 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(25-02-2016 10:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  No, Dr. Fulton. My last word on this to you is that you are biblically unlearned, so I can't imagine how you presume to debate the Bible with me. The man on the street who is an agnostic knows many of these prophecies. Google for a second, fulfill the prophecy knowledge you lack, then we can discuss messianic expectation and the mashiach or anointed in Daniel, etc.

Thanks!

[Image: DavidTennantlaughing.gif~c200]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
25-02-2016, 10:22 AM
(25-02-2016 10:10 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(24-02-2016 02:44 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  This remains incoherent. I am unsure of what you are saying. I am still less sure that you understand what is being said to you.

We don't know where matter comes from (it is likely an incoherent question, but that is beside the point). We also have no reason to believe that there needs to be a cause for its existence.

The latter issue has already been addressed. The law of conservation of energy has only been shown to hold - indeed, only can hold - within time. "Before" the universe, there was no time, and therefore no law of conservation.

Are you aware of the concept of a "self-fulfilling prophecy", Q?

You are being absolutely ridiculous. "Before" the universe there was no time and no... matter... although it seems to be of "no matter" to you because you WANT to persist in this line of nonsense.

And yes, I know what a self-fulfilling prophecy is, and I will allow you now to explain to me how the Jewish people self-fulfilled prophecy to be both the cream of every nation they were scattered to and hated in every nation they were scattered to... you may have the last word on this matter.

"Before" the universe is an utterly meaningless statement. I see no evidence that you are anything but physically illiterate.
(and no, a transparently hackneyed gaps ploy is not dissuading anyone of that impression)

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
25-02-2016, 10:50 AM
(25-02-2016 10:10 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You are being absolutely ridiculous. "Before" the universe there was no time and no... matter...

Yes. I said this. It is, in fact, rather my whole point.

My suspicion that you do not actually understand what is being said to you is only growing stronger.

Quote:And yes, I know what a self-fulfilling prophecy is, and I will allow you now to explain to me how the Jewish people self-fulfilled prophecy to be both the cream of every nation they were scattered to and hated in every nation they were scattered to... you may have the last word on this matter.

Well, firstly, you still have an exceptionally romanticized and unrealistic idea of how Jewish people have acted and been treated in their various homes, and I very much doubt that your portrayal of Biblical prophecy is at all accurate, but that is rather beside the point.

Secondly, if you cannot see how Jewish peoples working to bring about the creation of modern Israel directly because it is stated in the work their culture is built around to be something they will do is a self-fulfilling prophecy, then, once again, I have to question your understanding of the concepts in play.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
25-02-2016, 12:00 PM
(24-02-2016 02:31 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'll play. The Big Bang was NOT the origin of matter. Please tell all of us what exactly was the origin of matter, and how matter having an origin is not a violation of the Law of Conservation.

What part of my post was unclear?

I never claimed to know the origin of matter. Theists claim that. I stated (correctly) that the Big Bang singularity was not the origin of matter. It caused existing matter to begin forming our universe.

Other posters have already handled the Law of Conservation.

However I might point out that it is a bit hypocritical for you to use scientific concepts when you are relying on a holy book that contradicts everything in science.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
25-02-2016, 12:11 PM
(24-02-2016 02:36 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Is that how most scholars talk about the scriptures written by impassioned people over 1,500 years through the sweep of ancient history? It is not.

Lo and behold, God is talking to you. Are you listening at all or have you checked out entirely, because you're "done" and you're an atheist and that's all? Did you not know CS Lewis, Josh McDowell and other of the greatest apologists of the past century were die hard atheists--but open-minded atheists?

The need for apologetics and apologists is a great argument against the existence of your god.

We can debate CS Lewis and his writings, both fiction and non-fiction.

Josh McDowell? Please. A series of inaccuracies, logical fallacies, half truths and mistakes. It would be comedic if it wasn't so nauseating.

Have you read Bart Ehrman, Richard Carrier or other secular scholars? Or have you checked out because the voices in your head already told you the truth?

I also wonder if you are aware of how staggeringly arrogant it is, for you to be implying that a god, a creator of the entire universe, is speaking to us through you.
From what I've read, I would have assumed god could do better.

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
25-02-2016, 01:11 PM
(25-02-2016 12:11 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I also wonder if you are aware of how staggeringly arrogant it is, for you to be implying that a god, a creator of the entire universe, is speaking to us through you.

He has, in the past, suggested that he is here in direct answer to my personal rejection of his god, because apparently this god just cares that much about my atheism, and considers him that skilled of an apologist.

Condescension, staggering arrogance, delusions of divine purpose, and a complete lack of understanding regarding how anything actually works are par for the course with Q.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 6 users Like Unbeliever's post
25-02-2016, 01:26 PM
I've tried to reach him so many times Sadcryface To tell him what a congnitively dissonant sack of shit he is Undecided But somehow he is impervious to my attempted acts of mercy.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-02-2016, 01:44 PM
(25-02-2016 10:50 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(25-02-2016 10:10 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You are being absolutely ridiculous. "Before" the universe there was no time and no... matter...

Yes. I said this. It is, in fact, rather my whole point.

My suspicion that you do not actually understand what is being said to you is only growing stronger.

Quote:And yes, I know what a self-fulfilling prophecy is, and I will allow you now to explain to me how the Jewish people self-fulfilled prophecy to be both the cream of every nation they were scattered to and hated in every nation they were scattered to... you may have the last word on this matter.

Well, firstly, you still have an exceptionally romanticized and unrealistic idea of how Jewish people have acted and been treated in their various homes, and I very much doubt that your portrayal of Biblical prophecy is at all accurate, but that is rather beside the point.

Secondly, if you cannot see how Jewish peoples working to bring about the creation of modern Israel directly because it is stated in the work their culture is built around to be something they will do is a self-fulfilling prophecy, then, once again, I have to question your understanding of the concepts in play.

I invited you to have a last word regarding the point of Jews being the intelligentsia and also hated without a cause in dozens of countries--and how THAT is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Of course, Zionists knew the OT prophesies regarding the restoration to the land.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-02-2016, 01:46 PM
(25-02-2016 12:11 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(24-02-2016 02:36 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Is that how most scholars talk about the scriptures written by impassioned people over 1,500 years through the sweep of ancient history? It is not.

Lo and behold, God is talking to you. Are you listening at all or have you checked out entirely, because you're "done" and you're an atheist and that's all? Did you not know CS Lewis, Josh McDowell and other of the greatest apologists of the past century were die hard atheists--but open-minded atheists?

The need for apologetics and apologists is a great argument against the existence of your god.

We can debate CS Lewis and his writings, both fiction and non-fiction.

Josh McDowell? Please. A series of inaccuracies, logical fallacies, half truths and mistakes. It would be comedic if it wasn't so nauseating.

Have you read Bart Ehrman, Richard Carrier or other secular scholars? Or have you checked out because the voices in your head already told you the truth?

I also wonder if you are aware of how staggeringly arrogant it is, for you to be implying that a god, a creator of the entire universe, is speaking to us through you.
From what I've read, I would have assumed god could do better.

It does give pause for reflection to think God chose me to speak for Him. It is humbling. However, you should know He specifically told me NOT to share with TTA members--after all, the Bible warns that the wicked who are closed to God's love offering with despise those who witness to them. Every time a mean post is made against me at TTA, it affirms the Bible. See my avatar signature for more.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-02-2016, 02:10 PM
(29-02-2016 01:46 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It does give pause for reflection to think God chose me to speak for Him. It is humbling.
Not humbling. The word is delusional. I would recommend mental evaluation by trained professionals.

(29-02-2016 01:46 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  However, you should know He specifically told me NOT to share with TTA members--after all, the Bible warns that the wicked who are closed to God's love offering with despise those who witness to them. Every time a mean post is made against me at TTA, it affirms the Bible. See my avatar signature for more.

Out of curiosity, how would you react to Abraham's test, I wonder? Since god speaks directly to you.
If god told you to kill someone to prove yourself would you?

And god's love? The love he showed to the first born of Egypt? or the Amalekites? The innocents who died during the flood? Job's family? The love of eternal damnation? Damnation for mortal sins?
Yeah, I'll pass, thanks.

And regarding your signature and the "mean" responses:
Everything you do on this forum is designed to provoke.
You troll, you prod, you stir up anger and when people respond, you play the martyr.

If you bothered to look around the site, you would see that there is more than anger. There is compassion, there is altruism, there is happiness and there is camaraderie.
That'd be one more refutation of the bible, along with the myriad of others.

[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post