Why do theists come to this forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2016, 10:26 AM
RE: Why do theists come to this forum?
(04-03-2016 10:12 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 10:41 AM)mgoering Wrote:  What you may claim to be in your personal life has no bearing on whether or not you need mental health counseling.

Just to give you one example: On the surface, Dennis Rader, the BTK killer (serial killer from the late 70s) was a well-adjusted father (was married and raised a couple of well-adjusted kids), had a series of steady jobs to support his family, and was a civic leader (he was a member of Christ Lutheran Church and had been elected president of the church council. He was also a Cub Scout leader.) Turns out, he REALLY needed mental health counseling!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rad...sonal_life

PS I love you??? -- I don't think Dennis Raider ever said anything as creepy as that!

You're right! Based on your single anecdotal case in evidence, let's lock up every well-adjusted father in the world, just to be safe! Are YOU well-adjusted? Should we lock up the well-adjusted TTA'ers, too?

How do you know who is what? Do you just take everyone's word for it if they say they're well adjusted?

The one thing I find odd about you is you seem to respond to people as if literally just asking questions and not believing something you're told is an excessive trait. Seriously questioning how a person written about in the bible would know something was seen as a leap or going to crazy extreme according to you.

Do you just believe taking someones word for something is rational?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2016, 10:42 AM
(04-03-2016 10:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Why would I seek counseling for hearing from God? He's not telling me to kill people in a stadium, He tells me to share the gospel and love on people. Are you blithely unaware that the AMA and professionals consider prayer a healthy outlet in every respect?

Prayer, i.e. talking TO god, is different from hearing FROM god. If you cannot tell the difference or refuse to acknowledge a difference, then further discussion of the topic is pointless.

(04-03-2016 10:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You're right! My posts are inflammatory--for love is inflammatory to the unredeemed atheists of the world.
And if you're going to post this dishonestly, further discussion of any topic may be pointless.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
04-03-2016, 12:18 PM
(04-03-2016 10:42 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 10:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You're right! My posts are inflammatory--for love is inflammatory to the unredeemed atheists of the world.
And if you're going to post this dishonestly, further discussion of any topic may be pointless.

Engaging with Q has been pointless for quite some time. He's repeatedly show either a complete inability or refusal to comprehend anything that falls outside any of his predetermined assumptions, and has been doing so for months.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 8 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-03-2016, 12:46 PM
(04-03-2016 12:18 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 10:42 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  And if you're going to post this dishonestly, further discussion of any topic may be pointless.

Engaging with Q has been pointless for quite some time. He's repeatedly show either a complete inability or refusal to comprehend anything that falls outside any of his predetermined assumptions, and has been doing so for months.

He is increasingly just preaching.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
04-03-2016, 01:53 PM
(04-03-2016 10:42 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  

... Further?

You mean to say there's ever been any?

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
04-03-2016, 02:30 PM
(04-03-2016 01:53 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 10:42 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  And if you're going to post this dishonestly, further discussion of any topic may be pointless.

... Further?

Practicing my debating skills, just in case I run into someone that actually matters. Big Grin

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
04-03-2016, 02:30 PM
(04-03-2016 02:30 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 01:53 PM)cjlr Wrote:  ... Further?

Practicing my debating skills, just in case I run into someone that actually matters. Big Grin

Ah. Carry on, then, my good man.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
04-03-2016, 02:31 PM
(04-03-2016 12:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  He is increasingly just preaching.

Yeah. Once he stopped discussing things and started preaching and making bold proclamations about what atheists believe/need, I stopped talking to him.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
04-03-2016, 02:37 PM
(04-03-2016 02:30 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 01:53 PM)cjlr Wrote:  ... Further?

If you want to improve your debating skills you need to find someone who actually knows how to debate.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-03-2016, 02:39 PM
(04-03-2016 02:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-03-2016 02:30 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Practicing my debating skills, just in case I run into someone that actually matters. Big Grin

If you want to improve your debating skills you need to find someone who actually knows how to debate.

Hmm. Good catch.

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post